Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Power Steering is ALIVE!!!

Moderator: Mod Squad

56mulberry

Power Steering is ALIVE!!!

Post #1 by 56mulberry » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:13 pm

We put the PS into 1977 F100 (that never had it before...) last SUnday we finished. Took two hours to yank out old steering box and steering column--and 6 hrs to install all of new including rewiring the column. Started it up and other than a little leak around the backlash/re-center locknut/setscrew due to me not tightening it ... :oops: it worked great for 30 mins--Then it quit! figured out it had an air lock in it and worked that out now it seems to be doing great. SOn is very happy--getting license in two weeks and this has been our two year project together...now he wants a newer smaller steering wheel.

Just wondereing what others have done for a PS fluid cooler? I was going to creat a short series of coils made of flexible 3/8" copper and place it in the return line and screw to firewall. (think mini-moonshine still look...) Other option could be to find an older car with a 3/8 or larger dia in line cooler already screwed to firewall and use it? Maybe a 70-80's large sedan of any make or model?

Although the coiled copper would definitely enhance the 'rat-rod" factor......

Thanks to everyone for advice and input as we geared up ofro and completed the PS project--you all are great....DOUG
"If you ever buy a battery at a place that advertises "free installation" and you own a 2004 Pontiac Montana, go ahead and take 'em up on the offer--while they install it you can go write a novel or solve the world hunger issue or grow some dreadlocks or something...."

willowbilly3

Post #2 by willowbilly3 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Congrats. I have done 3 of those on 69-72 models and it is harder than you think to get all the right stuff. The older Fords had a little loop with fins right at the pump area, then they went to just a couple loops of tubing down on the cross member. An oil or tranny cooler would work great too.
To bleed a power steering, fill with fluid, start engine and turn to the stop. shut engine off and wait about 5 minutes. Start engine and turn to the other stop, wait about 5 minutes and that should do it. Let the foam subside and fill to proper level.
Great ideas have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
Albert Einstien

shortbox07

Post #3 by shortbox07 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:16 am

some newer cars and trucks had a tiny cooler mounted on the engine crossmember or around that area depending on which car or truck. thats what i will be going with once mine is converted.
A guy at the local parts store once asked me if i own any vehicles that aren't made up of 10 other vehicles ... i replied whats the fun in that!

my "six" collection
78' f-100 shortbox 300
67' mustang coupe 200

56mulberry

Post #4 by 56mulberry » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 pm

I was thinking of using a motorcycle oil cooler from an air/oil cooled bike--like you usually see mounted right behind the forks on front of frame? Any opposition to this? DOUG
"If you ever buy a battery at a place that advertises "free installation" and you own a 2004 Pontiac Montana, go ahead and take 'em up on the offer--while they install it you can go write a novel or solve the world hunger issue or grow some dreadlocks or something...."

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #5 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Nope - but probably overkill.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

willowbilly3

Post #6 by willowbilly3 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:01 pm

56mulberry wrote:I was thinking of using a motorcycle oil cooler from an air/oil cooled bike--like you usually see mounted right behind the forks on front of frame? Any opposition to this? DOUG

That's funny because I used a Ford power steering cooler for an oil cooler on an old shovelhead I used to ride.
Great ideas have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

Albert Einstien

56mulberry

Post #7 by 56mulberry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Happened on a friend two days ago who was looking for a new tranny cooler for his Jeep Cherokee--guess what? it it @10" long and @ 2" wide does a single "U" and is 3/8" line....gonna check on that also.

Regarding oil cooler from bike--I wasn't thinking of the great big kind like an old Katana or something--more like what you see on an old nighthawk or CB or something--about 3"x6" or something.....D

56mulberry

Post #8 by 56mulberry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:43 pm

OK--PS hung again and quit working yesterday after driving in warm weather for 2 60 mins. Am wondering if it is boiling/foaming/overheating possibly and creating an air lock? Turned truck off for 5 mins and it worked fine and has since...

Friend picked up a PS cooler from a early 2000's Ford Explorer at junk yard --it is about 10" long and is a single U-bend about 2" apart with lotsa little cooling fins on it and has nice preformed sheet metal brackets and its 3/8" with flared ends on which to clamp return line.

When I put hand on hose when it quit working and it was really hot (but I would imagine it would be--)will try this cooler and see what happens.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #9 by Lazy JW » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:48 pm

56mulberry wrote:.....
When I put hand on hose when it quit working and it was really hot .....

Hmmmm........ something doesn't sound quite right here. Is that thing running in "bypass" all of the time? :?
Joe
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

56mulberry

Post #10 by 56mulberry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:04 pm

"bypass"? please define...new term for me.

The PS works great since we installed it EXCEPT for the first night it quit after about 30 mins but then was OK after sitting--I just figureed air from new install.

Then on Sunday it worked great all day then quit for the second time--then worked Ok after sitting for 5mins and has been fine since. It just got real hard to turn (as if it had manual steering again) the pump was still turning though...

When I say "hot" it was 90 degrees out in Alabama so everything under hood was pretty hot...just don't know how hot it should feel. DOUG

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #11 by Lazy JW » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm

All hydraulic systems use some sort of pressure relief valve or "bypass" as a safety. This bypass valve sends the flow back to the tank whenever system pressure gets too high in order to prevent damage.

When you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side it comes to the physical stop, but the pump is still pushing, trying to force the steering box to continue turning. Since it is unable to move any further, pressure builds up rapidly to the point of being dangerous; when the pressure gets to a pre-determined level, the relief valve activates, sending flow back to the tank rather than continuing to push.

When the relief valve activates, a "buzzing" or sometimes more like a "squealing" sound will be heard as the fluid squeezes past the spring-loaded relief valve. The system is then referred to as being in "bypass" mode.

Bypass mode makes a lot of heat in a big hurry. If the relief valve is set too low then it could be bypassing more or less continuously, causing a rapid overheating of the system.
Joe
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

56mulberry

Post #12 by 56mulberry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:16 am

Is this adjustable then I wonder on this truck? Or could it have just still had some air in it from not driving it a lot yet?

The only adjustment I noticed when rebuilding was the backlash screw/nut for the steering wheel re-centering which we did not change as it was good after install. If it is adjustable it could be set lower because box was off different model/weight truck?

I have a new OEM style metal resivoir pump and the PS box off uncertain year (73-79...?) truck. Thanks DOUG

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #13 by Lazy JW » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:10 am

I don't believe there is intended to be an adjustment; if things are not correct then replacement is the normal fix.

Test it before it gets too warm by turning the wheels lock-to-lock. You should be able to discern a significant change in the sound when it hits the stops.
Joe

56mulberry

Post #14 by 56mulberry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 pm

It does that OK now--definitely different sound at full lock both ways--sounded normal for older style PS to me. Am going to try the cooler and see if it helps. DOUG

56mulberry

Re: Power Steering is ALIVE!!!

Post #15 by 56mulberry » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 am

Put a cooler on it off of a 2001 Excursion in Junk yard for $20--then found out Autozone sells "CompressorWorks" brand, looks the same as mine, for $19.99--But anyways all better now--has been good for over a month--DOUG