Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

An exhaust question.

Moderator: Mod Squad

jzjames

An exhaust question.

Post #1 by jzjames » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:09 pm

If Ive got the EFI manifolds, how would two, 2 1/4'' pipes going into 2 glasspacks, one next to the other, work?
(67 shortbed), Right now its on a Y-pipe that the muffler shop fabbed up for me, going into a Dynomax turbo, the flow is good, but its still loud, kind of like the stock muffler was.

shmoozo

Re: An exhaust question.

Post #2 by shmoozo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:50 pm

As I understand it glasspacks tend to be significantly louder than a typical turbo muffler, so if you are looking for louder, that would get you there. Louder isn't necessarily better, however. If you use the truck for long trips a loud exhaust system that introduces resonances into the truck cab will gradually fatigue and annoy both you and the passenger and you will arrive at your destination more tired and more grumpy than you would with a quieter exhaust.

As for power, you may not gain much (if any) with the switch to dual glasspacks unless you've done a fair amount of work to the engine's internals and significantly upgraded the induction system as well.

Frankly, I'd probably stick with what you have now.

But tell me, why are you thinking of changing it?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-Henry Louis Mencken

jzjames

Post #3 by jzjames » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 pm

OK, Ive usedglasspacks before, and on the 300-6 I actulally thought they were pretty quiet, and noticed a little more power due to the low backpressure/restriction/ whatever you call it. They were cheap, not that loud. I was thinking two glasspacks on two pipes might be rather quiet, with least backpressure.
The Dynomax I have on there now, is not that quiet, and neither was the stock muffler

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #4 by Lazy JW » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 am

If it's too loud right now just add a large, straight-through glasspack in line behind your existing muffler; the farther back the better. If you are concerned that this may add backpressure, just use a larger diameter glasspack.
Joe
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

mutt
VIP Member

Post #5 by mutt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:39 pm

I got a long cherrybomb glasspack in my 2-1 setup. Its not loud. I run them backwards- its quieter.

crash-harris

Post #6 by crash-harris » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:34 pm

The longer the pack, the quieter it'll be.
Bruiser - 1990 Ford F150...barely...EFI 300 Big Six, 500K+!, converted to 4x4. 4.10 gears and Sterling FF rear w/ Trac-Lok, 37" meats. Undergoing 1 Ton leaf spring SAS. 6BT in the plans.

56mulberry

Post #7 by 56mulberry » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:02 am

I have a 77F-100 300ci SHort bed w/EFi exh manifolds and 2 1/4" pipes dual to a Full Boar 2" Dual IN/Dual OUT muffler that has twin tailpipes then exitting (sp?) behind driver door in front of rear wheel--looks very retro/SVT Lightning truck style....IS it luod? Yup. but does it soound KILLER at idle? YUP again... But is it annoyingly droningly loud on hwy at 60mph with nonAC windows down....YUP again

FUll Boar is a very open muffler (more than a Flomaster) but it lets me run two in and two out using muff as a "crossover" pipe. Dunno if it helps or hurts performance as my motor is basically stock exept for Cheb RA's and EFI manifolds.

IMHO I hear all kinds of stuff on muffler/pipe combos and on these motors on this forum and from those locals building 300's and unless your doing internal work on motor you're just basically trying to get it to sound the way you want it to sound...5 or 6 hp is VERY negligible on these DD trucks most of us are kicking around in on here...just my opinion.

FOR the record I have put exhausts on lots of diff vehicles and even dyno'd some before/after--and you would be suprised that LOUD doesnt equal FAST. but unfortunately the butt dyno is VERY convincing.

I even put a Flomaster 40 series on a Mazda MPV minivan with a K&N panel filter and 3" ppipe all the way back and a big 4" chrome slash-cut tip. looked and sounded awesome--but thats all. Didnt even help mileage one MPG.....
"If you ever buy a battery at a place that advertises "free installation" and you own a 2004 Pontiac Montana, go ahead and take 'em up on the offer--while they install it you can go write a novel or solve the world hunger issue or grow some dreadlocks or something...."

Harte3
VIP Member

Post #8 by Harte3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 am

"FOR the record I have put exhausts on lots of diff vehicles and even dyno'd some before/after--and you would be suprised that LOUD doesnt equal FAST. but unfortunately the butt dyno is VERY convincing."

A most honest assessment. :thumbup: It never ceases to amaze me how loud = fast and neck-snapping power increases to some.
'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.

crash-harris

Post #9 by crash-harris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:42 am

My six breathes a little better above 2K now going from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgZ4m1Af7Qo

Stock downpipes y-ed into 2.5" pipe back to ta Flowmaster 40 and dual out behind the axle.

To this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URpx8JmlId8

Stock downpipes y-ed into 2.5" pipe to 2.5" flexpipe and a 2.5" stack, no muffler.

BUT, I like the drone but I'm still waiting for the deeper sound of the 3" stack :D
(I would've embeded these videos but youtube sucks and only posts code in every forum)
Bruiser - 1990 Ford F150...barely...EFI 300 Big Six, 500K+!, converted to 4x4. 4.10 gears and Sterling FF rear w/ Trac-Lok, 37" meats. Undergoing 1 Ton leaf spring SAS. 6BT in the plans.

56mulberry

Post #10 by 56mulberry » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:21 am

I learned the LOUD=NOT SO FAST ALWAYS lesson on a 1992 Honda CBR600--my buddy took his stock bike to DAytona bikeweek and did a dyno pull for 94 HP (and I forget the torque #'s). Then pulled off stock exhaust and replace the airbox with open pod individual K&N's, did a Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, and put on a Vance and Hines 4into1 pipe and header. COst $1000 back in the mid-90's for parts and work and was "tuned correctly carbs to pipe"it ran perfectly and weSWORE it was LOTS faster.

Took it back to Daytona next year and dyno'd at 84HP and 7lbs less torque.... :oops:

Woulda been better off just buying the stickers.......more bang for the buck!
D
"If you ever buy a battery at a place that advertises "free installation" and you own a 2004 Pontiac Montana, go ahead and take 'em up on the offer--while they install it you can go write a novel or solve the world hunger issue or grow some dreadlocks or something...."

crash-harris

Post #11 by crash-harris » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Bikes are a little different, especially when you drop the stock airbox and run pods. I still need to bump the jets on my Zook for open pipes and the airbox.