Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Intake heater--my interpretation...

Moderator: Mod Squad

56mulberry

Intake heater--my interpretation...

Post #1 by 56mulberry » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:44 pm

So my machinist friend heard I was making an intake plate and said "come by the shop its slow today"--gotta love guys with CNC's and time on their hands.....here is where we ended up... 8)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40 ... Medium.jpg

Thanks Abandoned Bronco for your help also....D
"If you ever buy a battery at a place that advertises "free installation" and you own a 2004 Pontiac Montana, go ahead and take 'em up on the offer--while they install it you can go write a novel or solve the world hunger issue or grow some dreadlocks or something...."

Harte3
VIP Member

Re: Intake heater--my interpretation...

Post #2 by Harte3 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Most Excellent! :thumbup:
'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #3 by ludwig » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:13 pm

:thumbup: x2

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

shortbox07

Post #4 by shortbox07 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:51 pm

looks really good!
A guy at the local parts store once asked me if i own any vehicles that aren't made up of 10 other vehicles ... i replied whats the fun in that!

my "six" collection
78' f-100 shortbox 300
67' mustang coupe 200

mutt
VIP Member

Post #5 by mutt » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:24 pm

you MIGHT- depending on things- want 90degree or 45 degree barbs if you are running FI ex manifolds, to more easily route the hoses away from the cast iron....make 20 & sell them here.....

Luckyman
VIP Member

Post #6 by Luckyman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:10 pm

mutt wrote:you MIGHT...... want 90degree or 45 degree barbs if running FI ex manifolds, route the hoses away from the cast iron....make 20 & sell them here.....

I would buy one.
1 "76" F150 RC, LB, 2WD, 300, NP435, 9" open 3.00, special order 2-76/Delivered 4-76. Still "new".

1 "73-79" F150 RC/SS/SB/4WD, "84"-300, T18, NP205, 9" open 3.50, Dana 44 3.50 open, Offy DP, Holley 470, EFI + single 2.5" exhaust. Gathered from 15+ donor/parts trucks. "Fubar". Runs good, safe, still needs details/project continues.

Ranger_gone_straight

Post #7 by Ranger_gone_straight » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 am

Where do I get a bored machinist friend with lot spare time looking for one off little projects to do for fun? Around here machine shops dont want to talk to you for less than $100, actual project in reality requires lot more pictures of old Ben, plus you are on bottom of their priority list so expect long wait.

I usually end up cobbling up something with welder at home. May take me lot time to reinvent the wheel, but price is right and I still probably get it made and in use before a shop would get around to my project.

56mulberry

Post #8 by 56mulberry » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:09 pm

Here is link to progress:

The problem I am now having is determining the size of the two bolts that are closest to engine block--ANybody know what diameter they are (not the hole in gasket which is same as part I made--but the threaded part?)? The single hole away from block I have a bolt for but the ones nearest seem bigger than the hole in my stock gasket--I am wondering if they are just not long enough to reach to the threaded portion up inside the intake? I have misplaced my OEM bolts that held exhaust mani to intake mani so I have no reference.
If Abandoned Bronco is reading this--what size were yours? Thanks DOUG

PS--Would love to provide them for everyone that wants one but unfortunately they are a victimof too low demand and too high production costs. Unfortunately that works for Ferrari and Lambo but prolly not for us "big spenders" on Fordsix....... :(

P.S. 1/2" aluminum plate is high but I will check with my friend though and see what it might take to produce them in some amount of bulk--Ya never know.... DOUG
"If you ever buy a battery at a place that advertises "free installation" and you own a 2004 Pontiac Montana, go ahead and take 'em up on the offer--while they install it you can go write a novel or solve the world hunger issue or grow some dreadlocks or something...."

AbandonedBronco

Post #9 by AbandonedBronco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Hey, sorry I missed this earlier. Glad the suggestions helped, it looks like that plate should work out just right! The only thing I might suggest (and only time will tell) is to put some piping to get the hoses further away. Those rubber lines are going to be right above the exhaust manifold and may start to crack due to heat. Fortunately, you already have the threads, so you could just buy some piping at a plumbing store.

As for the bolts, all three were exactly the same on mine. I never kept track of which was which and never had a problem with one going in and another not, so they should all three be the same. If you still need, I can track down which size they are by running them over to a parts store. Let me know! :D
1985 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer. 300 I6. 9.1:1 CR, roller rockers, EFI manifolds and 2.5" exhaust. DUI ignition. 3.55 final drive, 5 speed ZF5. Holley Sniper EFI w/Offenhauser C Intake. 32" BFG KO2 A/Ts.

56mulberry

Post #10 by 56mulberry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:34 pm

I am thinking that ideally I would like to use flexible 1/2' copper line on it--I tapped it at 1/2'NPT so I can play with it re: fittings. My "back" (near block) two bolt holes are def not same size as "front"(away from block) one. Holes are much larger--actually larger than the holes in the gasket from which I made the plate.

The only other possibility is that the hole they go into is threaded deeper in there--I will have to try to get underneath and look--difficult to feel.

But when I put the same size in the two as the one they just spun and were too small dia.

Will look into it more. Letcha all know...D

FALCONAROUND

Post #11 by FALCONAROUND » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Why do you want to heat your intake? What am I missing?

56mulberry

Post #12 by 56mulberry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:58 pm

off idle stumble due to too cool air--no stovepipe heat from exh manifold--lotsa condensation when cool-will prolly freeze in winter. Got efi heads--need to heat cavity under carb on intake since stck log is off.

AbandonedBronco

Post #13 by AbandonedBronco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:01 pm

56mulberry wrote:I am thinking that ideally I would like to use flexible 1/2' copper line on it--I tapped it at 1/2'NPT so I can play with it re: fittings. My "back" (near block) two bolt holes are def not same size as "front"(away from block) one. Holes are much larger--actually larger than the holes in the gasket from which I made the plate.

The only other possibility is that the hole they go into is threaded deeper in there--I will have to try to get underneath and look--difficult to feel.

But when I put the same size in the two as the one they just spun and were too small dia.

Will look into it more. Letcha all know...D

Do you think it's possible that the threads pulled out near the end of the hole? If the holes are larger than the gasket itself, something definitely isn't right.
On the other hand, your bolts just may not be long enough. IIRC, mine were about four to six inches in length. I'll take a look at the manifold when I get home, since it's sitting in my garage.
1985 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer. 300 I6. 9.1:1 CR, roller rockers, EFI manifolds and 2.5" exhaust. DUI ignition. 3.55 final drive, 5 speed ZF5. Holley Sniper EFI w/Offenhauser C Intake. 32" BFG KO2 A/Ts.

FALCONAROUND

Post #14 by FALCONAROUND » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Then why all the fuss about "Cold Air" intake units? Hood scoops and the like?

AbandonedBronco

Post #15 by AbandonedBronco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:46 pm

If I understand it correctly, you want the air going IN to be cold, because it's denser and you get more oxygen in the same space. Thus, more bang for your buck.

However, you don't want the carburetor to be cold, or you'll get poor fuel atomization, sluggish starts, less gas mileage, etc. The intake heater doesn't heat the air going in, it keeps the carburetor toasty so it can better mix the fuel with air (or better yet, cold air from cold air intake.)

FALCONAROUND

Post #16 by FALCONAROUND » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:07 pm

I understand that :) But I've NEVER seen a cold car on our inline 6' sunless they were on a 300 away from the exhaust system...

mutt
VIP Member

Post #17 by mutt » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Nah. I made 50 oil filter holders me & this other Triumph hoolie figued out- for post 71 Triumph bikes, uses a BMW bike filter, & fits in the oil-in-frame tank.
If you have a drill press, all you need are the neatly cut out blanks. Make a pattern to drill the bolt holes, & a bit/tap for the lumbing fixtures.
We fabbed up some jigs, and made a stack of them, & sold them to OIF Triumph pilots.
Required a LOT more workthan these water heater plates.
Still got 2, in case I come across another couple diehards.....

56mulberry

Post #18 by 56mulberry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:12 pm

AbandonedBronco wrote:Do you think it's possible that the threads pulled out near the end of the hole? If the holes are larger than the gasket itself, something definitely isn't right.
On the other hand, your bolts just may not be long enough. IIRC, mine were about four to six inches in length. I'll take a look at the manifold when I get home, since it's sitting in my garage.

Pretty sure no threads pulled out--it was all good when I took it apart.

This is what I am thinking--maybe they need to be about 4-5" long--did not try that as ran out of time to really inspect but figured it is prolly something like that. I think their is a fitting or something they go through that is larger than the bolt hole and the threaded portion may be substatially deeper in there.

I think Where as the single hole can use a 1.25" long bolt because threads are just above where gasket will sit, the inner two closer to block need longer bolts to reach where threads actually begin--the end of the hole is larger than bolt and unthreaded?......thanks AB for your time and help...

AND re: heated intake--YES the carb/intake needs to be warmer for it to run right. Mine actually runs a good bit of condensation down it and hisses on exhaust when it gets below-55 or so degrees....

Airplanes have a little lever called "Carb Ice" that essentially opens a heat duct off exh to the intake/carb to heat it as they gain altitude (cooler air) to prevent this condensation from freexing and "icing" the carb...

D