Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Dipstick swap?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Stealth Bummer

Dipstick swap?

Post #1 by Stealth Bummer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:53 pm

I want to switch from pan-mounted tube to block-mounted tube (the original pan is boogered). It looks like the 1982 block will accomodate the dipstick tube, once I remove the allen head plug in the hole. Is this feasible, and does anyone know of a source for a new tube? No luck locally. Would it use the same dipstick as pan-mounted tube?
I have a nice pan, and I suppose I could convert it to take the tube, but it would be a real pain in the ol' poop chute. :roll:
Thanks!
1959 F100, Short-wide box, big back window, IFS, 300/C4 trans (work in progress)
-------------------------------------------------------
There's a fixed amount of intelligence in the world, yet the population continues to expand- START HOARDING!!

AbandonedBronco

Re: Dipstick swap?

Post #2 by AbandonedBronco » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:08 am

So you have an '82 block but not an '82 oil pan? Which year is the oil pan?

I remember on my '81 when I first got it, the oil level never measured right until one day I checked the dipstick and it had a part number of E5xx-xxxx on it, which meant it was from an '85. Getting a correct dipstick solved that issue. Point being, the length of the dipsticks changed several times throughout the years, and if you don't have one that's exactly right, the reading on the dipstick won't even be close.

Unfortunately for your case, I think the dipsticks were oriented to fit the year of the oil pan, not the block. You could always get a dipstick fabbed up, do a complete oil change, and then mark on the dipstick where full is.
1985 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer. 300 I6. 9.1:1 CR, roller rockers, EFI manifolds and 2.5" exhaust. DUI ignition. 3.55 final drive, 5 speed ZF5. Holley Sniper EFI w/Offenhauser C Intake. 32" BFG KO2 A/Ts.

Stealth Bummer

Post #3 by Stealth Bummer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 am

AFAIK the block and the pan that came with it are both '82. The pan I want to use is from an unknown year, and does not have the dipstick tube built in. I would really like to switch to a block-mounted tube.
1959 F100, Short-wide box, big back window, IFS, 300/C4 trans (work in progress)

There's a fixed amount of intelligence in the world, yet the population continues to expand- START HOARDING!!

mutt
VIP Member

Post #4 by mutt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:33 am

then theres the question: is it a 5 qt pan or a 6 qt pan? Mines a 6- tube goes in the block, 80 van.

Stealth Bummer

Post #5 by Stealth Bummer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 am

I believe 5qt. Both pans are rear sump, and have the same dimensions.
The original engine/pan came out of a 1982 F250, C6, 2WD.

56mulberry

Post #6 by 56mulberry » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:54 am

I had this issue on a Ford Ranger 4cyl once with a substitute dipstick because the dipstick tube broke and yada yada yada--and solved like AB said except for this added step--

Do a full correct oil change --MINUS ONE QUART--let it sit overnight so I knew it was dribbled down completely and marked that as the bottom of full ( the "add-a-quart" line) then added the quart to a true FULL oil level and let it dribble down completely and mark that as FULL.

I scribed the dipstick with one of those little electric engraving tools right down to the little crosshatches for the "SAFE" zone below full.

Course thats more complicated and time consuming but I like to do things that way ...most of the time....
"If you ever buy a battery at a place that advertises "free installation" and you own a 2004 Pontiac Montana, go ahead and take 'em up on the offer--while they install it you can go write a novel or solve the world hunger issue or grow some dreadlocks or something...."

Stealth Bummer

Post #7 by Stealth Bummer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:38 pm

So anyway...Can it be done? What parts do I use? What is a good source for the parts?

The Plankster Prankster

Post #8 by The Plankster Prankster » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 pm

any dipstick tube that will screw into the hole can be used. should be available on a wide variety of rigs. look around your local junkyard

i had a similar situation (van motor with long a$$ dipstick tube and no stick, going into F250), i took the dipstick from another engine and cut the tube to a proper length for that dipstick (in small steps, of course), similar to what mulberry was doing, except that i just filled it full and started cutting the tube down until i found oil on the stick. aligned the existing marks to the proper oil level... i think thats easier than making your own stick
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

Stealth Bummer

Post #9 by Stealth Bummer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 am

Thank you. I'll probably be hitting the yards this weekend.