Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

300 efi conversion to carb in a 54 F100 (New Guy)

Moderator: Mod Squad

Bozworth

300 efi conversion to carb in a 54 F100 (New Guy)

Post #1 by Bozworth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

First of all, thanks to all...I've lurked around this forum for over a year now, and found a lot of great info for my 223 that is currently in the 54'. (Runs great btw)

I just picked up a 300, out of a late 80's F-series. Previous owner said it ran well, he just wanted more power, and replaced it with a big block v8. (460 i think). I got the 300 with the AOD trans for $150. I'm pretty happy with that deal.

Here's some of my questions, I've searched the forums, and gotten a few answers, but still have some lingering ideas before I dive in on this project....

I want a carburetor on my 300. I've read the arguments for carb vs. efi, and in the end i think it's really personal preference.

When all the EFI stuff is removed, how many holes will I have to plug? What type of plug is suitable?

Is there a mechanical fuel pump available for this engine? I would like to avoid the electric one if possible, but not sure if i can.

I've found one stock intake so far, and the guy was willing to sell at $40 for intake and 1v carb, but he wasn't local and shipping would have been another $30. That a good price? I haven't visited the local auto salvage yet, but just trying to get a ballpark figure on what I'm gonna have to spend.
Speaking of market prices....for the EFI system that is removed from mine...I have it for sale at $125 obo, (or straight trade for an intake + carb) is that about right?

The motor mounts....is the replacement crossmember (available at mid-fifty.com) the only option? Has anyone done it differently?

Sorry for the list, I'm still searching the forums, and coming up with new questions about as fast as I can get the old ones answered.

Thanks again for all the great info that's already on the site.

Nashtooth

Re: 300 efi conversion to carb in a 54 F100 (New Guy)

Post #2 by Nashtooth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Well there's a bunch of things to consider here, like what do you want to see when you lift the hood? I like seeing Offy and Holley, in particular. Especially since those pieces make my E-crate run real real good. And the 6 > 2 exhaust is gnarly to put it politely. I'm saying that a 300 can be something a 223 never dreamed of.

Asa
Location: Tampa, Tallahassee, Hangin out in some Florida woods somewhere

Post #3 by Asa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:38 pm

EFI engines have the fuel pump lobe on the camshaft, you just need to drill out or knock out the casting in that hole. I would drill that spot out rather than knock it out, or at least drill out the ends, then knock out the center.
Right and Wrong are just words, what matters is what you do

Susie - a work in progress
Clyde - ya mule!

speedbug78

Post #4 by speedbug78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 pm

I just put an EFI 300 in my 69 F100. I kept the EFI, but dropped the emission equipment. If you keep the EFI exhaust manifolds there will be the EGR hole you will have to plug. I was able to get the fitting out of the manifold and put a steel pipe plug in. I don't remember the size, maybe 3/4"? I have, in the past, left the steel fitting in (when it was too rusted), cut off the pipe and welded the fitting closed. Besides that, there are the air pipes in the head (do any of these have them in the manifolds?). I wasn't able to get them out short of drilling, so I cut them off and welded them closed, so far so good. If you can get them out I'm not sure what thread they are, but any metal plug should work.

Like the other guy already said, the cam shold already have a lobe for the fuel pump, you'll just have to remove the EFI ignition coil and machine the fuel pump boss on the side of the block to allow the mechanical pump to bolt up.

One thing you might think about doing while the engine is out is to replace the timing gears. They aren't the funnest thing to do after its installed

Asa

Post #5 by Asa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 pm

speedbug78 wrote:Besides that, there are the air pipes in the head (do any of these have them in the manifolds?).

Almost forgot about this.

EFI with automatics (except possibly those from Cali) don't have holes in the exhaust ports, they rely on an air line plumbed into the exhaust south of the manifolds.

Clyde - ya mule!

Bozworth

Post #6 by Bozworth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 am

Nashtooth:
I'm a fan of function over form. I'll make it pretty once she's running smooth. I'd be happy to see a 1v carb under there and a stock intake. The aftermarket intakes are out of my budget for right now. As far as the exhaust goes...is the best practice to run exhaust manifolds into a single collector, or run dual pipes all the way back?

Asa: I will go look for that casting, but i think I understand what you are talking about.

Speedbug: Why do the timing gears need to be replaced? I assume from wear and tear, right? Just look for worn or pointed teeth? Any other indicators of worn gears?

Thanks!

Asa

Post #7 by Asa » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 am

EFI gears use a non-metal gear in order to make a quieter engine. If you upgrade the camshaft it can put enough stress on the gears to shred them.

Clyde - ya mule!

speedbug78

Post #8 by speedbug78 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am

Like Asa said, the cam gear is a phenolic one and can strip out. It can definitely be a factor with upgraded valve trains, but I've also had them come in with stock setups. I think that mileage may be a factor, lousy maintenance, and also how much the truck sits. I don't know that you'll see much tooth wear. If you are planning to keep the stock cam, valve springs, etc.. then replacing with a new set with the phenolic gear is fine and will be quieter while running. You can get all metal sets, and they are great, but tend to give some gear whine.

Its up to you if you replace them or not, it'll probably go a long time, but its one of those "insurance" things like putting in new front and rear main seals while the engine is out.

Fordman75

Post #9 by Fordman75 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Bozworth wrote:
The motor mounts....is the replacement crossmember (available at mid-fifty.com) the only option? Has anyone done it differently?

Thanks again for all the great info that's already on the site.

The Trans-Dapt FE big block V8 swap crossmember is the easiest way to do the swap. You use it with some stock 70's 300 motor mounts. It's well worth every penny.
Your other choice is to fabricate your own mount brackets/towers. But the crossmember is going to be stronger then not having a crossmember.

Here's just the crossmember at Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-4037
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4
300, NP435 4spd, NP205 transfercase

Bozworth

Post #10 by Bozworth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:33 am

Thanks Fordman75. I will be going with a crossmember.

The casting for the fuel pump that has to be drilled out is behind the ignition coil just below and in front of the distributor?

Does the distributor have to be changed for a carb'd motor? I thought I read that somewhere.

Also, whats a ballpark figure on the lower-end aftermarket manifolds?

MechRick

Post #11 by MechRick » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:51 pm

The casting for the fuel pump that has to be drilled out is behind the ignition coil just below and in front of the distributor?

Yep. I drilled mine out when I stuck the '96 engine in the '86 Bronco.

Does the distributor have to be changed for a carb'd motor? I thought I read that somewhere.

Not mandatory. It will run without the EFI computer, but there is no centrifugal or vacuum advance. The preferred common swap is to Duraspark with a fender mounted module.

Also, whats a ballpark figure on the lower-end aftermarket manifolds?

Offy Dual Ports about $270, Hedman headers go for just under $200. There is only an advantage running a long tube header if the cam you pick has significant overlap to allow scavenging. Otherwise the stock EFI manifolds work great with a bit of trimming to clear carb intakes.
1994 F150, 4.9L/ZF 5 speed, C-Vic police driveshaft
EFI head w/mild port work, 3 angle valve job
1996 long block, stock pistons, ARP rod bolts
Stock cam, aluminum cam gear
Hedman header, full mandrel bent duals, crossover, super turbos
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73244
Bronco II with a 2.3L swap http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863
1988 F250 2x4, 460 ZF 5 speed.

BIG 6 farmer

Post #12 by BIG 6 farmer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 am

86 & older Mech. Fuel pump will work on your 87 or newer Fuel Inj. Block. Yes you have to open the hole for it. What i did was, take the Fuel pump Gasket. line it up on the 2 holes, mark the oblong opening. Pull your Oil pan, get some rags up there to catch most the chips. Drill small holes through Block, (around opening) Then knock drilled chunk out. If you have a Die Grinder, smooth opening. Take solvent or Brake clean to inside Engine Block ( after ya pull rags out). Yes, you need a Earlier Dist. I like a late 70s-83? Dura Spark, hooked to a GM 4 pin Ign. Module (www. gofastforless ). A new Performance Intake will cost over $ 200, then ya need a Carb. On the cheap, alot a Guys happy with an adapter to mount a Ford 2V Carb. That would give you some open hood look, & good pep (and a fatter wallet) A bone stock 300, is gonna have alot more power than a 223 :nod:
83 F 150 SB 4x4 300 six NP 4speed - - 1950 IHC L162 (1&1/2 ton?) - 87 & 88 T-Bird Turbo Coupes - 2000 Triumph Tiger , 76 Honda GL 1000 , & other toys and parts (& junk) -

jack orchard

Post #13 by jack orchard » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 am

Fordman75 wrote:
The Trans-Dapt FE big block V8 swap crossmember is the easiest way to do the swap. You use it with some stock 70's 300 motor mounts. It's well worth every penny.
Your other choice is to fabricate your own mount brackets/towers. But the crossmember is going to be stronger then not having a crossmember.

Here's just the crossmember at Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-4037
[/quote]

Fordman: Is this crossmember compatible with all oil pans? If not, which ones will it work with. thanks, ...jack

Fordman75

Post #14 by Fordman75 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:54 pm

jack orchard wrote:
Fordman: Is this crossmember compatible with all oil pans? If not, which ones will it work with. thanks, ...jack

I know the rear sump pans work with it. I don't think the center sump will clear. But I didn't have a center sump pan to check when I had the crossmember.
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4

jack orchard

Post #15 by jack orchard » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Fordman75 wrote:I know the rear sump pans work with it. I don't think the center sump will clear. But I didn't have a center sump pan to check when I had the crossmember.

Thanks for the reply, Fordman. Mine is a mid seventies center sump. Which vehicles had the rear sump? Thanks again, jack

Fordman75

Post #16 by Fordman75 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm

jack orchard wrote:
Fordman75 wrote:I know the rear sump pans work with it. I don't think the center sump will clear. But I didn't have a center sump pan to check when I had the crossmember.

Thanks for the reply, Fordman. Mine is a mid seventies center sump. Which vehicles had the rear sump? Thanks again, jack

The rear sump pans came in 70's 4x4's and all 80 and newer trucks. But to convert the older engine you need the 70's 4x4-around 82( I can't remember the exact year the rear sumps went back to dipstick in the block ) truck pan that had the dipstick in the oil pan. Don't forget you also need the matching pick up tube.
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4