Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Question for FTF or others

Moderator: Mod Squad

Broncitis

Question for FTF or others

Post #1 by Broncitis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 pm

I don't have a 300 block to measure this, is it possible to drop a 4.125 sleeve in a 300 and still have enough room for a head gasket which would probably be custom, I'm thinking about stroking a steel crank 4.250 and using custom built crower are oliver rods and custom pistons which would yield 340 cubes. I'm really liking this idea if possible and possibly half filling the block, race only engine, I wish I had a block around to measure, please don't mention difficulty are expense, I just want to know if this is possible, in the first phase of some research, but most of you know I am for real and not just throwing out conversation. I don't know much I can do to get more out of present build and want more. I want to put even more of a hurt on the bents than I already have. I am having a blast this year racing.
69 Early bronco, 4.11, toploader 4speed, 68k 3inch body lift, ET about 50 something!!!

CNC-Dude

Re: Question for FTF or others

Post #2 by CNC-Dude » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:39 am

I just know there has to be something that would be a bigger waste of time....but it just escapes me at the moment. :rolflmao:

In all seriousness and joking aside, the 300 blocks are very thin, and even the most hard core racers won't go much beyond .030" bore. I think you might have better results in just stroking it as opposed to going big bore and stroke. The cylinder head also being the limiting factor, Fully ported, its inadequate at best to fed 300 inches of full racing hungry cylinders to be very beneficial, so going larger just makes it even less adequate if thats possible to imagine. You might see some low RPM gains in torque before you run out of steam, but I think it will run out long before your ready for it too. If money were no object and you were dead set on doing this, you could always get LSM to make you a billet block, and then a billet head would be next.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #3 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:18 pm

What CNC says is accurate.

The fire ring on a typical 300 gasket is about 4.150. I've seen one case where an attempt was made to furnace braze large dia bores into a hogged out block [ because they were using a hybrid head with much more flow capability and wanted a better bore / stroke relationship] and it failed miserably when all the cylinders broke loose.

Spend your money on getting the head to work as good as possible for the job you want it to do.

I think in the past I said the only possible scenario I can think of where a stroked 300 might be useful is for an airliner mule or an ocean liner canal mule.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

Broncitis

Post #4 by Broncitis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Well poo/ maybe I am getting all I can already, unless someone knows some one better than arnolds head service at 230/180 at .600. I actually have put a smaller roller cam in it because my peak hp was around 7200 rpm and now at around 6700. Thanks for the info. FTF whats the most flow you have ever got out of a 240 head. Are there any crossflows left anywhere.
69 Early bronco, 4.11, toploader 4speed, 68k 3inch body lift, ET about 50 something!!!

Fordman75

Post #5 by Fordman75 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Are you stuck with using a production head?

If you aren't how about the old cut & weld of the Boss 302/Cleveland head/s. I've given some thought to doing that to a pair of new aftermarket aluminum Cleveland heads. But they are a little out of budget right now. :lol:
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4
300, NP435 4spd, NP205 transfercase

CNC-Dude

Post #6 by CNC-Dude » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Another option or two if your looking at jumping into that sort of a project, is instead of the Cleveland heads, you can use any of the SBF wedge style aluminum heads. There are so many of them for sale cheap on craigslist and ebay, you wont break the bank buying a set. And if that isn't what you want, you can get a set of the LS style SBC aluminum heads. You can get a set of them for as little as $100 bucks on ebay from a Corvette. And that swap has been done on here before also.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #7 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:42 am

The only V-style crossflow heads that come within .010 of being on center with the 300 bore spacing are the old NASCAR Ford V8 heads. Ford V8 heads require six individual pieces to align pefectly and the valve arrangement is backwards, necessitating a custom made cam. Big $$$. Don't know about the GM LS heads.

If you want big airflow numbers with minimal sweat do one of these:

FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING