Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

about "guideplates"

Moderator: Mod Squad

johns3524

about "guideplates"

Post #1 by johns3524 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:19 pm

Hello all. I know I'm new here but I have a question that I'm sure you all have the experience to answer. I have chosen to "run" a 300-6 in an 80's Ford thing, and in keeping it running well, and having on hand a few "spares" of this and that, I have come to realize I may want to utilize a head or at least the rockers from an earlier adjustment style than what was used as the "final engine offered". (pedestals).

I understand Crane offered the "pedestal-adjustable" conversion kit. I have read here thru a search that this has been discussed since at least 2005 or so. I get the feeling this site speaks a lot to the 1320 crowd, and other high performance street uses, but my question is...

"Has this Crane solution for pedestal-rocker to adjustable-rocker (either roller or chev etc) proved to be viable for the average street user?" Reliability and long term "best rebuild practice" is my primary interest as one who prefers to adjust his own while running, doing my own maintenance on what I drive.

Thanks for your patience on this topic, I have searched, but have been able to find an updated answer to this question, even while searching the current FAQ's.

I DO know that pedestal rockers work acceptably well, I run a set at this time on my DD. I may want to change in the future to more exotic arrangement and greater adjust-ability is part of my wish..hence my curiosity.

JS
86' Bronco, 300-6, .030 over, Crane cam, Cloyes gears, Clifford Intake, Autolite 2100 C3 manual choke, EFI head & manifolds>walker2n1>shorty Magniflow>, Duraspark II, TFI coil, Napa blue box, NP435, NP208F, 3.50's-9"& Dana44ttb, factory a/c

Broncitis

Re: about "guideplates"

Post #2 by Broncitis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:48 pm

I can't figure out what you want from your engine, there is no combination info, if you keep your 300 under 5000rpm you don't need guide plates and I doubt a mostly stock build will reach 5000rpm unless you hold it to the floor in first gear far a while, even with the 240 head, a mild cam, different intake and better exhaust you may get it to 5 grand pushing the heck out of it, also if you have cast pistons you will throw the skirts in the oil pan.
69 Early bronco, 4.11, toploader 4speed, 68k 3inch body lift, ET about 50 something!!!

80broncoman
Global Moderator

Post #3 by 80broncoman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:14 am

I have that bolt on guide plate kit installed on mine. If you don't want to remove the head to machine it for traditional stud and plates its a good option.
It will save from:
Removing the head for machining like I mentioned
having to buy heat treated push rods
and having to make guideplates
buying the special universial giude plates

It MIGHT require you to get longer push rods.

When i did mine i had to mix a 302/351C kits to get he parts i needed due to me using 7/16 stud rocker arms.
The 302 kit will work for 3/8 stud rockers and 5/16th pusrods.

some people look at he studs and think they are flimsy and weak. Crane buys(or did in the past) them form ARP.
They are much stronger than they look.
I think comp cams offer these kits now too.
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

johns3524

Post #4 by johns3524 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:03 am

80broncoman wrote:I have that bolt on guide plate kit installed on mine. If you don't want to remove the head to machine it for traditional stud and plates its a good option........some people look at he studs and think they are flimsy and weak. Crane buys(or did in the past) them form ARP. They are much stronger than they look.
I think comp cams offer these kits now too.

Thanks for this reply. I've been thinking about this option on a build I'm working on right now. It's good to get updated input about using those guides. I appreciate it.

Broncitis wrote:I can't figure out what you want from your engine, there is no combination info, ..... also if you have cast pistons you will throw the skirts in the oil pan.

Actually power, or additional rpm isn't what I'm wanting. I DO miss the older simpler approach to lash adjustment, and I have an EFI head that may cause me to need different push-rods anyway, thanks for the interest..The way I drive My Bronco, I usually don't reach over 2500rpm..

Thanks for the input.
86' Bronco, 300-6, .030 over, Crane cam, Cloyes gears, Clifford Intake, Autolite 2100 C3 manual choke, EFI head & manifolds>walker2n1>shorty Magniflow>, Duraspark II, TFI coil, Napa blue box, NP435, NP208F, 3.50's-9"& Dana44ttb, factory a/c

Baron Von Ottomatic

Post #5 by Baron Von Ottomatic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:26 pm

johns3524 wrote:I DO miss the older simpler approach to lash adjustment...

It doesn't get much simpler than torquing pedestal-mount rocker bolts to spec.

johns3524

Post #6 by johns3524 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:53 am

Baron Von Ottomatic wrote:
johns3524 wrote:I DO miss the older simpler approach to lash adjustment...

It doesn't get much simpler than torquing pedestal-mount rocker bolts to spec.

I know, maybe I should've said. "I kinda miss being able to adjust'm hot, while running, with a custom made valve cover (helpin w the mess)