Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

At my wits end!!! 24 years old / rebuilt my first inline

Moderator: Mod Squad

Codyjames990

At my wits end!!! 24 years old / rebuilt my first inline

Post #1 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:30 am

Thank you for reading my post

are you ready for a story???

So about 5 months ago I picked up a inline six from a 1978 Ford f150. It's a short bed, 4inch lift, and 4x4. It's got the old rustic orange red from years of sun damage, but honestly it looks great on that truck. What turned into a curiosity became a life changing event for I had the chance to rebuild this truck. I didn't want to but one night driving home my truck just stopped moving...talk about the darkest nights of my life.. I found that a piston rod flew out of my oil pan.. The engine had to be removed for inspection.

This is where I decided to make that life changing event I mentioned earlier..for most would have probably sent that truck to the junk yard. I decided to rebuild. The original inline that was in that truck had cylinder wall damage so I had to do some searching for another block to rebuild. I found one but it was a 240. I didn't realize till i had the crankshaft "re-spun" by that point I decided to keep it instead of looking for another. This 240 had the original carb still attached (auto brite 1100) the man I bought it from said it had been sitting in storage for years and its from the 60s for sure.

So months later, due to life I finally put that engine in and couple of more days just to learn how to time it, which i did.

You talk about that nervous feeling in your gut, that feeling as a kid on Christmas morning. After working the carb and timing some more she started right up!!! Ah man! What a feeling as young man knowing I had touched every bolt ..busting my hands apart ..almost giving up...i swear tears were about to fall. I had my dad and fellow uncles congratulate me. It was a great feeling that day

Sadly this is were my story takes a turn. See the truck doesn't go past 35 mph. I can go through all the gears just fine and it revs up through them but once I get to 4th the its like there's nothing there.. I have petal to still play with and when I try to floor it it acts like it won't go!! I know the 300/240 are a slow engine but not 35pmh slow

I have replaced fuel pump, new fuel filters, new distributor... Honestly everything is new..its rebuilt for dang sake. I just don't know what to do at this point.

If you have gotten this far in the story I appreciate you reading this. I don't know if I can get answers but at least there's got to be someone out there who can relate to me. There's not many men who work on there trucks. I can't find them around here...so its good to get this story out.

deere114

Re: At my wits end!!! 24 years old / rebuilt my first inline

Post #2 by deere114 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:53 am

Well first off congratulations on where you've gotten so far, happy new year! Your right, not many men like us left that work on our own vehicles. I've found the guys on this forum to be most helpful and very knowledgable. Now you mention setting the timing. What's the base timing? in my experience no truck is a rocket ship, but my 300 powered rig thinks nothing of melting off 33" tires in 3rd gear. So you should definitely have more power then you do. Spark. Fuel. And compression. The 3 things you need. Tell us more about your ignition set up as you say you messed with that, if that checks out is pull the spark plugs and google how to read them to get an idea of how your running as far as rich/lean. If that seems to check out I'd do a compression and leak down test to see the engines condition in general. Now when you say this things been rebuilt can you be more specific? If it's been rebuilt through and through a mistake could've been made somewhere. Perhaps the cam has been installed way too retarded? Just shooting things out there at this point.

Fordman75

Post #3 by Fordman75 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:57 am

A couple things I would check first.

1. Make sure the choke is opening ( and all the way ) .

2. Make sure the throttle is opening all the way when you step the gas pedal down.
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4
300, NP435 4spd, NP205 transfercase

deere114

Post #4 by deere114 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:07 am

Good point, the simple things can mess you up. Definately check the throttle and choke

Sick6Turbo

Post #5 by Sick6Turbo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:55 am

You mentioned 4" lift. What tire size and rear/front differential gears? I had a long box same as yours with a fresh 351m and with 33" tires and 3.00 gears, it was a pooch in 4th. With the 33's, I ran it up to 55 mph in 3rd and 4th gear was overdrive.

There is a good size jump between 3rd and 4th on those transmissions. Also the 240 doesn't have as much torque down low as the 300.
Dale
79 F-100 turbocharged 300 rear mount 20 psi
Stock EFI bottom end, mild port carb head
12.44@106 1/4 mile in 2015

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:17 pm

:hmmm: x4 I also agree with all those excellent suggestions you have been given! But I think it's probably going to take some more details to be able to help you figure out your truck issue some pictures of the parts you are using would also help. How dose the engine run up to that 35 MPH point and after? Is it missing any or dose it stay running smooth and like it's hitting a wall or it just seems to lay down? My first though is that your not getting the fuel volume up to the carb, so you should do a fuel volume test (cranking the engine over, remove the coil wire first) with the fuel line disconnected at the carb and into a safe container. If there is a lack of volume since you replaced the fuel pump and filter you should look at the condistion of the fuel lines especially from the pump to the fuel tank. Are there signs of being dried up and surface cracks or if it's very soft and is collapsing etc. Next would be the fuel tank pickup tube sock a deteriated sock can let the engine run ok at low speeds and yet restrict the pickup tube as you need more fuel. The rest of the fuel system venting depending on the year of truck and if it's be modded from stock, check for a bad fuel cap by cracking it open part way, and or the fuel tank vent line, or vapor recovery system being plugged. One final though "What Goes In Must Also Come Out"! Check out your exhaust system for a plugged up catalytic converter, a plugged up muffler, a bent up or a collapsed or flatten out pipe. Good luck in the hunt :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Codyjames990

Post #7 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:39 pm

So to answer all the questions !

The engine was a complete rebuilt. The crankshaft had been machined or smoothed out and the camshaft was left alone, new position rings, new valve stem gaskets, new We had that engine completely apart and re assembled.

For timing, it was set to 10 degrees from TDC. Here's a arguable fact. I know you are not suppossed to use the cast molding on your timing cover but the timing marks from the passenger side, but after removing my water pump pulley, belts I had clear view to where this other timing mark was supposed to be. It's not there, but going off the original cast marks I found my piston (through the spark plug hole) at the top adjusting through those degrees its varied little but stayed up at TDC.

My ignition system is basic to look at. I'll take pictures for this, but starting from distributor (new) connects to coil (new) even the wire harness between them is new. Then distributor connects to ignition module. It's a square box on drivers side. On the passenger side is battery placed next to the starter relay. The connections have been checked by me to insure its not rotted or corroded. Now these item had been weathered worn because sadly I do admit they were just left in the truck with no hood for about 4 months.

The tire size is ah ? I have no idea? It's something I haven't gotten to practice yet. I wanted to replace them next month after the rebuild. I'll take a picture. The differential gears are also unknown to me but I remembered how the truck ran with the original 300 it had and I remembered getting up to 60 easy.

So how does it run up to 35 mph?
So it idles quite nicely and takes off from 2nd gear slow. I figured thats normal but as I get to third its a long slow drawn process to get there. It doesn't sound wrong just sounds to get louder and I shift to third but it starts to LAY DOWN. As am in third it acts like it just wants to stay there ..the engine can manage to get to 4th and now I feel like I'm still in 3rd. It drives in 4th but without going through speed of 4th. Like as I said it lays down.

I'm so excited to go through these options I wrote down from what was said. Thank you so much guys. I really do appreciate it. I'm going to start hunting down the problem. I'll post pictures here in a bit

Codyjames990

Post #8 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:39 pm

[url][/url]
Hello!
codycarter990 shared an album with you.

View Album, http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/codyc ... 0/library/

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #9 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:51 pm

:hmmm: On the tire size look at the side wall near the name brand there will a combo of numbers and letters depending on how old they are. As an example could look something like this 235-55R-15 from that you can determine their dia. From your pictures the tires look like they may be 31's. On the rear gear ratio if it's still an original truck look for the rear axel code that's on the drivers door sticker, also if it's never been apart there will be a tag on the third member of the rear axel with the axel ratio. The 300's do have more a quite a quite a bit more torque and usually pull a taller gear ratio then the 240's do. Looks like you might have a Drua Spark II distributor but I don't see what you have as a control box. You might also take a few pictures of the carb with the air cleaner off too. Good luck :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Fordman75

Post #10 by Fordman75 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:55 pm

I see one issue right away. You've got your # 3 spark plug wire on backwards. There is no way that is firing the #3 spark plug at all, like that. If you can't fit the wire on the correct way with the coil there, you need to move the coil.

I would suspect you've got a few issues going on. You've got the plug wire problem. You need to check and verify the carb areas I mentioned in my last post. And then I suspect if you are still down on power it's a timing issue. It could be the timing set wasn't installed correctly, the base timing could be off or the vacuum and centrifugal advances might need adjusting ( aka recurving the distributor ) .

I've owned a few 240 powered trucks. They may not be the fastest things on the planet in stock form but even with a load I've never had an issue getting up to the speed limit with them. They had no issues running highway speeds. So you've got something that isn't right.

And it looks like your tires are 33x12.5x15's.
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4
300, NP435 4spd, NP205 transfercase

Codyjames990

Post #11 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:02 pm

So I found the tag I believe.

It's says: DM- BZ 7J0
50 9 390B

The door has a tag as well
It's says : DA4 / trans A / axle 160

Tires are 33x 12.50...so 33s correct?

Codyjames990

Post #12 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Hello!
codycarter990 shared an album with you.

View Album, http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/codyc ... 0/library/

Codyjames990

Post #13 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:47 pm

Here's a few more new photos I posted

So I checked carb out. It's opening up when I lay the pedal down. I put a block of wood that was heavy enough and went to look with the engine off. I also noticed the choke is not closed or in the way.

I flipped the wire around by moving the coil (oops haha) I hhad no clue but its installed right. I took it for a small drive ..I didn't take it far and I heard it backfire once ..

Also taking closer look to my carb after driving (with air filter removed after driving ) white smoke seemed to plume out the air intake ?? Is that because the engine is new or is my fuel evaporating inside carb?

Also I haven't recurved the distributor yet. I left it how I bought it but it is hooked up I believe properly to my carb

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #14 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Yes the square alum. box that's on the drivers side inter fender shield is the control box for the DSII. If you don't have the choke linkage hooked up yet, then make sure to tie the choke blade with some wire so it always in the full open position until it's fixed right. Not sure of about one of those door tag numbers there was no 160 axel code used by Ford but it might be 16 if so then it's a 3.50 to one. Code DA4 is for a Ranger Cab trim with a Styleside box. Code A is for a New Process NP435 4speed trans. Good luck :nod:

Sick6Turbo

Post #15 by Sick6Turbo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:43 pm

Mark the distributor base and block in a straight line with a paint pen. Loosen the distributor and rotate it counterclockwise about an 1/8 inch and tighten distributor. Report back how it runs.
Dale
79 F-100 turbocharged 300 rear mount 20 psi
Stock EFI bottom end, mild port carb head
12.44@106 1/4 mile in 2015

Codyjames990

Post #16 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Hey y'all

I just wanted to let you know I figured it out !!!!
It was my base timing. I had it off by 10 degrees or so. It picks up now and I had almost up to 50 and it wanted to keep going but I'm still breaking it in. I'll keep guys posted on the latest improvements.

This truck has alot more work to be done. I'm going to get that autolight 1100 rebuilt or find another and get a timing light on it to make sure we are set.

If you guys have any other recommendations I would gladly listen. I'm happy to be part of the Ford inline six gang. Thank you all for stimulating me to get back out here ..cheers !! Thank you all

Codyjames990

Post #17 by Codyjames990 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:37 pm

Its purring or riding smooth at idle and picks up quite nicely

I did a combination of letting off on the idle screw while rotating the distributor..i just listened very carefully. I also tied back the choke for now

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #18 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:30 pm

:beer: congrats on getting it running better your all that much closer to a good tune. :nod:

TJs Ford

Post #19 by TJs Ford » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:36 am

Congrats on getting the truck running good again! :thumbup: Always a good feeling. :)
1967 F250 LWB Fenderside 300 I6/4 speed.
"6 in a row makes it go!"
"I prefer a buzzin half dozen."

Codyjames990

Post #20 by Codyjames990 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:57 am

Beers all around ! Ha! Thanks !