Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Ak Miller Turbo Setup

Moderator: Mod Squad

curts56
VIP Member

Ak Miller Turbo Setup

Post #1 by curts56 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm in the process of putting together a turboed 300 for my 56 F100 and thought I'd post a few photos of my 1979 Ak Miller turbo kit:

http://www.ckdesign-inc.com/images/Turbo/300-1.JPG
http://www.ckdesign-inc.com/images/Turbo/300-2.JPG
http://www.ckdesign-inc.com/images/Turbo/300-3.JPG
http://www.ckdesign-inc.com/images/Turbo/akmiller.jpg

I plan on adding a wastegate to replace the original IMPCO inline boost controller. The kit didn't come with any brackets to support the intake plenum so I modified the alternator/smog pump bracket to provide support. So far so good. Now all I need is to fill the block with parts. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for this forum.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Ak Miller Turbo Setup

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:57 pm

:hmmm: That's a really a great looking kit I wouldn't mind finding that same set up for my 56 F350 too. Do you happen to have any pictures of the indivual parts off the engine? Good luck on your 56 build :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by powerband » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 am

The "Draw-Through" turbo setup as in AK Miller's is not seen in modern use. With the advent of Fuel Injection turbo's no longer needed to draw/blow air and fuel through the turbo resulting in much greater MTBF . The draw-thru dominated the carbureted turbo field of possibilities. McInnes in his bible of forced induction explains the advantages and pitfalls of Draw-Thru vs Blow-Thru and doesn't condemn or favor either method, in fact almost all setups illustrated in his 70's (?) era book are Draw-Thru because it pre-dated Electronic Fuel Induction and timing controls ushered in shortly after in the 80's..

With modern electronic solutions to the problematic mechanical management of timing vs boost, a new look at draw-thru has been created. The other most critical piece of the puzzle is that most turbochargers are not built or suited to fuel-thru operation and specially built seals for bearings resisting fuel dilution are needed.

from earlier post:

... here's a page from MaCinnes' book , although dated it describes a Ford 250 draw thru setup using a Rajay turbo and Weber DCOE45 setup, if you can believe the dyno figures it claims to improve the 4000 RPM RWHP figure from the stock 88HP to 191HP...

> my current project D7DE 250 cid mostly stock with 1980's Buick V6 TBO3 turbo, very specifically built Quadrajet and head re-worked but OEM 62cc chambers retained for running SCR @ 7.83:1 . Runs good static on test stand and currently working on ignition timing/boost controls (home brewed) before road tests.

Image . Image . Image . Image

Blow-thru vs Draw thru each has distinct challenges but if you are ambitious enough to attempt to build a turbo setup, members can help with the specifics... There are a few blow-thru setups among the members and experienced and road tested info is available. With the advice from members and what I've learned, I'm also working on an alternate blow-through setup and building a blow-thru capable Holley 2300 2Bbl to use.

have fun 8) .
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

Sick6Turbo

Post #4 by Sick6Turbo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 am

Both very cool! :thumbup:
Dale
79 F-100 turbocharged 300 rear mount 20 psi
Stock EFI bottom end, mild port carb head
12.44@106 1/4 mile in 2015

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #5 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:39 am

This is very interesting. I hope to make a turbo 300 at some point. It will be carbed. I have not decided on draw-thru or blow-thru but am leaning towards blow-thru because I do not like the performance limitations and durability questions of a draw-thru turbo. I also have questions about the effectiveness of using a factory cast exhaust manifold. I want a stainless exhaust header purpose-built for a 300, even if I have to build it myself.

Mr. powerband,
Will you please describe the instrumentation you have on your test stand? Are the two boost gages for upstream and downstream of the carb? What type of waste gate are you using?

Here are the useful pieces I have collected so far. I think this puppy should be good for several atmospheres of boost on a 300 / blow-thru? no? This will be my first (and last?) turbo build and I have lots of 300-specific questions.

I wonder how much Miller's kit cost?

FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #6 by powerband » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Mr Frenchtown:

The instrumentation for the draw-thru test-bed in the above pics is as you note: Vac/boost in the intake plenum before the turbo (carb plenum) and Manifold vac/boost . Obviously the intake/carb before turbo is always at vacuum but the post turbo gauge will pass through vacuum to boost pressure. Between the two gauges there is the AFR sensor/gauge. I also use oil pressure gauges on the engine and at the press. restricted turbo oil port.

Interestingly, the turbo-specific Quadrajet 4Bbl for the BOP V6 turbos' has an externally referenced Power Valve circuit using external porting and check valves to open PV even with high carb vac/ manifold boost pressures and needs no modification. The turbo uses integral waste gate with sense port to manifold.

I emphasize I built this an educational system test-bed and it has been a learning in progress. I hope to put this setup in a car and see how well it actually works, along with a new blow-through test-bed setup utilizing a turbo or SC.

have fun

Image . Image . Image

have fun
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #7 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks.
Turbo oil pressure gage - good idea.
What size turbo oil restrictor do you recommend?

Good luck with your project.

curts56
VIP Member

Post #8 by curts56 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Mr. Powerband, your turboed 250 looks like a fun project. Do you have a way of loading the engine on your test stand so you can produce boost?

I've thought about eventually replacing the carburetor with TBI but for now I'll have to modify the PV so it's boost referenced. I used water injection on a 223 I turboed which seemed to cure any detonation problems while under boost even with an unmodified PV.

I used the Ak Miller setup on my first turboed 300. It worked great other than having a tendency to flood when it first started. My guess is because the turbo is located below the intake so the fuel has a tendency to pool in the turbo.

FTF, a stainless exhaust header would be nice! I'm concerned that the cast iron exhaust manifold will finally give up after being welded on too many times. The HD manifold came from Ak Miller with the turbo flange welded on. I welded on a block off plate for the heat riser during my first 300 build and now I'm going to weld on a flange for the wastegate. Crack! If your turbo has journal bearings do you need a flow restrictor?

The Ak Miller kit cost $700 in 1979. Ak passed away in 2005:
http://www.hotrod.com/features/history/stories/hrdp-0606-ak-miller-history-best-hot-rodder/

guhfluh

Post #9 by guhfluh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 pm

curts56 wrote:I'm in the process of putting together a turboed 300 for my 56 F100 and thought I'd post a few photos of my 1979 Ak Miller turbo kit:

I plan on adding a wastegate to replace the original IMPCO inline boost controller. The kit didn't come with any brackets to support the intake plenum so I modified the alternator/smog pump bracket to provide support. So far so good. Now all I need is to fill the block with parts. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for this forum.

It looks like you use a HD exhaust manifold, is it? Or a stock one?

With the turbo placement, do you think a normal 70's model motor mount would have clearance issues?
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

JackFish
VIP Member

Post #10 by JackFish » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:29 pm

I just put a stainless turbo exhaust manifold on my Cummins.
Awesome piece of kit, and it certainly made me think what a missing link this is for our engines.
And I wondered about what it would cost to have something like these made.
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 (3)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #11 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:34 pm

I recently had to replace an exhaust manifold on my 496 ci BBC motor home. It was , as far as I could tell, cast stainless. The list price on it was $735. A welded one might be close to that too.

How much does Cummins get for theirs?

1964f100240

Post #12 by 1964f100240 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:36 pm

greg you have chevy? ok i wont say to much i used to race one lol but it had a top loader.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #13 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:53 am

1964f100240 wrote:greg you have chevy? ok i wont say to much i used to race one lol but it had a top loader.

Long story. At the time of purchase Ford did not offer the things I needed (6-speed trans / gobs of torque) for towing my car hauler. Chevy had 80% of the gas market with their package so I was sort of backed into it. Now with the redesigned 6.8 V10 and new 6 spd trans they control 80% of the gas RV market.
I did not want a diesel for several reasons so I was locked into this unit, which, I must admit, fulfills all of my needs, except my loyalty to the 'MoCo.

JackFish
VIP Member

Post #14 by JackFish » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:I recently had to replace an exhaust manifold on my 496 ci BBC motor home. It was , as far as I could tell, cast stainless. The list price on it was $735. A welded one might be close to that too.

How much does Cummins get for theirs?

Dunno.
I used the aftermarket one in the picture, AFE, Advanced Flow Engineering. It was about $450 and I figured that was a very good deal since most are $600+.
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 (3)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500

161henry

Post #15 by 161henry » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:35 pm

I really wanted to do this to a 300 and had a turbo guy on board. But I couldn't find an affordable draw through turbo.

curts56
VIP Member

Post #16 by curts56 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:52 pm

guhfluh wrote:
curts56 wrote:I'm in the process of putting together a turboed 300 for my 56 F100 and thought I'd post a few photos of my 1979 Ak Miller turbo kit:

It looks like you use a HD exhaust manifold, is it? Or a stock one?

With the turbo placement, do you think a normal 70's model motor mount would have clearance issues?

It's a HD manifold that has been cut at the base and a turbo flange welded on. Here's an article that uses the stock manifold:

http://www.ckdesign-inc.com/images/Turbo/Six%20Appeal.pdf