Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

300 I6 EFI performance upgrades

Moderator: Mod Squad

88F15088

300 I6 EFI performance upgrades

Post #1 by 88F15088 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi all, I have a 1988 F150 with a fuel injected 300 I6 I would like to get more ponies out of. My goal is 250-300 HP. I have seen dual and even triple carb intakes that look really cool, but for now I would like to keep the EFI to save some hassle. That being said, will the computer be able to handle these mods? Being a 1988, I will assume there is no way to tune the computer.

So far I have looked at Clifford (it doesn't seem like they have a great reputation around here) and they have a cam advertising 80% torque off idle, which seems pretty good. It looks like CompCams has a selection of cams as well.

I am left with exhaust, and possibly porting/polishing the head. I'm not ready to turbo (yet :D )

Haywood

Re: 300 I6 EFI performance upgrades

Post #2 by Haywood » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 pm

While I haven't seen an ECU specifically for the 4.9 I suspect the universal Standalone computers would make tuning much easier. That said, my 96 4.9 has accepted the Crower cam without a fight. the 96 has MAF which is a popular upgrade, as it is more cam friendly. Apparently Electric fans are worth about 30hp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXdLgaFXZzs

justintendo

Post #3 by justintendo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:57 pm

electric fans arent worth 30 horse on an inline six by a long shot...but they are a nice mild mod. the sound benefit alone is pretty nice! the truck wont sound like a garbage truck in the morning. a noticeable decrease in vibration is present too, along with improved ac at slow speeds.
96 F150 rc/sb...4.9, m5od, 2.73 gears
dual electric fan, 3g alt, kirban fpr, modified airbox, front/rear hellwig swaybars, rancho shocks, 2" rear drop, steering damper, general grabber hts, pioneer stock size speakers/head unit, mtx 8" sub behind seat, ss brake hoses, first cat followed by 3" single system w/ flowmaster 70
mobil 1 10w30 hm

pmuller9

Post #4 by pmuller9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Cliffords advertised power, torque and fuel mileage increase claims are very inflated.

It will require very good port work with larger valves to obtain 250 - 300 hp.

Many companies have cams for the 300 six both catalog and custom.
To get near 300 hp and work well with any EFI system the cam needs to have a wide lobe separation angle as well as duration profiles in the upper 220s which is a custom cam.

Injectors need to be around 32 lbs/hr

Haywood

Post #5 by Haywood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:04 am

I'd also suggest, since this in a fairly heavy vehicle, that torque increases would be more beneficial than HP gains. My '87 shortbed weighs just about 4k. If the end goal is a peppy ride rather than saloon bragging rights, I'd look into gearing, E- fan upgrade, Maf conversion, & make sure it is putting out the original #s, then maybe a cam, & bigger exhaust. It already has a lot going for it, my '87 responded well to a slight bump to the ignition timing 12°with the spout off (left side of the big V as seen from the front.)

88F15088

Post #6 by 88F15088 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:49 pm

I need to check the timing this weekend. There is a slight misfire, not sure what's causing it. The miss isn't consistent The way the previous owner described him setting the timing that could very well be the culprit. He said he "moved it a bit then floored it, then moved it again until it sounded right." Where is the SPOUT? Is it next to the distributor? Anyway, looks like I need to set it to 10* BTDC to start with.

I changed out the spark plugs and wires, and have a distributor cap and rotor waiting to go on this weekend. The old plugs weren't torqued, I could loosen them by hand :shock:

Guy at AutoZone convinced me to get the Duralast Gold distributor cap since the contacts are brass and should last longer?

Haywood wrote:If the end goal is a peppy ride rather than saloon bragging rights...

Why not both :D

Haywood

Post #7 by Haywood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm

88F15088 wrote:I need to check the timing this weekend. There is a slight misfire, not sure what's causing it. The miss isn't consistent The way the previous owner described him setting the timing that could very well be the culprit. He said he "moved it a bit then floored it, then moved it again until it sounded right." Where is the SPOUT? Is it next to the distributor? Anyway, looks like I need to set it to 10* BTDC to start with.

My spout on the '87 was hanging by the wire in the oil filter area. On the 96 it was above the steering column behind the fuse box. There isn't much to work with on timing marks, but assuming your '88 is like my '87 you should have a sawtooth bracket on the passenger side viable standing in front of the head light or near there. The center of the deep V is 10°. I'd still go for 12°. Easy enough to tell if you are going the right way, the idle speeds up as you advance and slows down as you retard. I'd pick up a distributor wrench, it is a challenge even with it. I don't think I've ever actually seen the hold down bolt, just find it by feeling with the wrench. Image

88F15088

Post #8 by 88F15088 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 pm

I see the timing marks now, there was so much oil caked on them I couldn't even see the notches. Tomorrow morning I will see if I can make out what the numbers are (I need a better work light!)

I found some connectors that may be SPOUT, but not sure which

It's hard to see, but it's a single wire connected to another single wire, above my hand is the ignition coil.
spout.jpg

This hangs right off the distributor connector
IMG_3556.JPG

And here is the abomination that is my "fuse box"
IMG_3557.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Haywood

Post #9 by Haywood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 pm

I vote for the circled one by the oil filter. I don't think there are any #s, just a line on the balancer and the notches, the deep one is 10 in the middle & 12 at the edge of that same notch, give or take a bit.

88F15088

Post #10 by 88F15088 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Any way to be sure if that's SPOUT or not? I am guessing the timing marks would be inconsistent? (just did some more research and am pretty sure that's it)

What RPM should I set the timing? I don't have a tach so that's going to be difficult.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #11 by bubba22349 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes that's the spout in the circle. Timing should be set at the idle RPM. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Haywood

Post #12 by Haywood » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:59 am

88F15088 wrote:Any way to be sure if that's SPOUT or not? I am guessing the timing marks would be inconsistent? (just did some more research and am pretty sure that's it)

What RPM should I set the timing? I don't have a tach so that's going to be difficult.

Definately was the circled one, I was being funny, inappropriately apparently when I said my vote. As bubba said; at idle.
You can run it for that short time with the snorkel for the air filter removed, makes access to the distributor much easier. The marks are consistent enough, it is a bit of trial and error anyhow. Clean the balancer in the marks area & highlight the line once you find it with chalk, soap stone, grease pencil, sharpie, or whatever works for you. The mark my not be in exactly the right place, but getting it there is a pretty involved task, & again it really is ok the way it is. Unless you are tuning for Nascar or top fuel, it is as much art as science. :beer:

jason832

Post #13 by jason832 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 am

Whatever you do, avoid Clifford cams. They are overpriced, and many online have complained about failures during break in, flattening lobes etc. I personally had one go flat on a part of the gear the distributor meshes to, whether that was Clifford's quality control or the previous owner messing up I don't know.

Google "Clifford cam warning" or something along that line you'll see a few threads. Call and work with a large can company like comp Crower crane etc and see what they recommend.

pmuller9

Post #14 by pmuller9 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm

88F15088
Are you still serious about 250-300 hp?

88F15088

Post #15 by 88F15088 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Are you still serious about 250-300 hp?

It'd be a nice end goal. From what I have read, it doesn't seem to be too far-fetched. Of course, this is my first build so correct me if I am wrong.

After I get the timing right, I will look into the MAF upgrade, then go from there.

pmuller9

Post #16 by pmuller9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 pm

The MAF sensor is calibrated for a certain CFM which also equates to max injector size and horsepower.
When the time comes to increase power from 150 hp to 300 hp with double the airflow, the MAF sensors output signal will probably peak (hit the 5 volt signal limit) way before peak power is reached.

arse_sidewards

Post #17 by arse_sidewards » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 am

pmuller9 wrote:The MAF sensor is calibrated for a certain CFM which also equates to max injector size and horsepower.
When the time comes to increase power from 150 hp to 300 hp with double the airflow, the MAF sensors output signal will probably peak (hit the 5 volt signal limit) way before peak power is reached.

An old trick to get around this is to run two MAFs along with fuel injectors that are twice as big as stock. You only plug one MAF in and you're effectively preventing the ECU from accounting for half the fuel and air going into the engine. It's a "dirty" trick but it will get you close enough for the self-learning to do the rest. Typically an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is used for some fine tuning.

If you do it on a stock-ish engine you'll get TPS codes because the MAF is constantly reporting about half of what it should be for any given TPS voltage (throttle position). Accuracy of the MAF is worse at the high and low extremes so you might have a crappy idle because so little air is flowing through the MAF that's plugged in.

You don't have an electronic transmission so I'll skip that part but there's issues that need to be addressed there as well.

If I was going to do a ~300hp build this is what I'd do to get it on the road then I'd stick megasquirt on it in parallel, swap plugs to tune it and when I've got it how I like it I'd remove the Ford EFI.

I really wish someone would make something like Holly Quick EFI that's meant to be side mounted, use external fuel injectors and have an intake hose attached. There are tons of people out there who are stuck with various OEM EFI systems that are hard/expensive to tune but can't justify a fully aftermarket setup. You could build everything into what would basically be a really fat throttle body, hide a micro SD card slot under a cover and use a (web, phone or otherwise) app to generate a safe base tune (as XML, JSON or whatever), slap the tune on an SD card and have the EFI self learn and write the current learned tune to card every so often. If you really like or hate how it's running one day you can pull the card, slap it in your phone/computer, copy the contents and see what's going on.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

pmuller9

Post #18 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:30 am

arse_sidewards wrote:I really wish someone would make something like Holly Quick EFI that's meant to be side mounted, use external fuel injectors and have an intake hose attached.

Does the FiTech Go Port Stand Alone fit that description?
http://fitechefi.com/products/goport/go ... y-efi-kit/
You would only use 6 of the injectors making it a 400 hp system.

Haywood

Post #19 by Haywood » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 am

I have to say; this is the discussion I'd hoped would happen here since I found this site. While at this point, I can see why folks would use carbs for their performance builds, fuel injection is so much more precise, and has to be the key to milking the last few drops of HP and torque from whatever combination of head, block & exhaust you happen to have. I was unaware of the Megasquirt ECU, and that one shows a lot of promise, I do believe a long runner stock type EFI intake manifold will produce the desired results, at least for me. One thing that hasn't been discussed is modern fuel injectors. In my shop the lads are experimenting with the later units, there are adapters to mate them electrically to the old harness, and the new ones mist better and just generally are more efficient. Their test bed is equipped with a wide band o2 sensor hooked to a gauge, and after the install, it was rich, but the ECU is figuring it out and trimming the mixture after about an hour or so of run-time. If is a dedicated drag strip track car, so it doesn't get to run for long at a time. One of the big advantages of the newer ones is that you can use a really big one and it still can be trimmed to provide a decent idle and proper mix throughout the range.

88F15088

Post #20 by 88F15088 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 pm

I will be looking into going the MegaSquirt route. In my research, I found this: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... rd-eec-iv/

What do you guys think?

It's going to be a few months before I buy anything, as it's my first time modifying/tuning a vehicle, so I will be doing a lot of research before pulling the trigger on anything. I also have some questions.

*Should I be looking at a MegaSquirt 1, 2, or 3?
*Should I be looking into a better distributor?
*What type of injectors should I use?
*It looks like with the kit I have linked, it is almost a plug and play setup, minus hooking up the MAF sensor?
*What kind of MAF sensor do I need?
*Do wideband O2 sensors go in place of the existing sensors, or are they separate?
*The computer is controlling everything, so it self-tunes itself to some degree, yes? In that case the computer should be able to adjust to most modifications I do down the road?

pmuller9

Post #21 by pmuller9 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:54 pm

The MegaSquirt 3 EMS System supports sequential fuel injection.
Because of the sequential fuel injection mode the MS3 will replace the stock engine control module as a stand alone unit.
The MS3 supports SD card logging which is a nice feature.
It also supports many different ignition system configurations including distributor-less types.

The MS3 should be able to translate the PIP signal from the ICM so you shouldn't need to change distributor.
You can add an MSD 6A into the system. Most are reporting better low end torque and fuel mileage.
Just be sure to buy it directly from MSD so you don't end up with a counterfeit unit.

NO MAF sensor! MAF sensors are calibrated for a certain injector size.
Right now you have 14# injectors so if you use the present engine with a MAF to get the MegaSquirt system going you would have to change the MAF sensor later for larger injectors. 300 HP needs around 30# injectors.

The MegaSquirt uses a wide band O2 sensor that would replace the stock O2 if it is being used as a stand alone system.

Unlike the stock ECM with a narrow band O2 sensor, the MegaSquirt system with a wide band O2 can stay in closed loop mode all the time and will make corrections for all load conditions. This allows the unit to self learn.
Last edited by pmuller9 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

pmuller9

Post #22 by pmuller9 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 pm

The stock ECM uses a narrow band O2 sensor that is valid only for an air/fuel ratio of 14.6

During engine loads that require a 14.6 A/F ratio the ECM uses the O2 sensor as feed back to keep the ratio correct.
Because there is feedback learning can be accomplished.

When the engine load increases where the A/F ratio needs to be greater than 14.6, the loop between the O2 sensor and the ECM is opened to allow a richer fuel mixture. At this point there is no longer any feed back and the ECM makes its injector pulse width calculations based on sensor inputs alone, the assumption being that the sensor inputs are correct.
Since MAF readings look at airflow directly it is a more accurate method than using MAP for open loop operation.

The transfer function for the MAF sensor is written in the ECM which is the direct correlation between MAF through the sensor and the voltage output from the sensor. It can be affected by the air passage the sensor sits between as well as the air box for the filter.
As a result Ford has different transfer functions for different vehicles for the same MAF sensor in an effort to stay very accurate.

The transfer function also has to be tied to the injector size for the system to work accurately.
Any changes to the system disrupts the balance.

Once you go to wide band O2 sensor using an aftermarket controller, the unit can stay in closed loop mode where it receives continual A/F ratio feedback and can always adjust for the correct A/F ratio despite SMALL sensor input inaccuracies.
The MAF sensor is no longer needed for accuracy.
The MAP sensor can now be used where you are no longer tied to an injector size relationship.

88F15088

Post #23 by 88F15088 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:32 pm

http://www.poweraddersolutions.com/mega ... connector/
But that's based on MegaSquirt 2/E, not MS3... It would be nice if I could just plug in the stock connector without having to splice up everything, however, it is worth the effort if the end result is a better ECU.

I will also get something like this (or similar): https://www.diyautotune.com/product/msp ... inum-bung/

Then a wideband O2 sensor, any recommendations? I will need to check, but I think my truck may have two o2 sensors. In that case, do I need two widebands? I have seen many people just running one.

Maybe in the coming weeks if I figure out everything I need, I will try to get everything working with everything stock (except the o2 sensors, and of course the ECU).

pmuller9

Post #24 by pmuller9 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:02 am

I see your point. The MegaSquirt 2 with the Ford 60 pin EEC-IV connector would be a clean looking set-up with very little if any wiring changes to the stock harness.
Easy for me to suggest rewiring the engine compartment just to gain sequential injection.
I believe the present system uses Bank to Bank where the odd numbered cylinders fire together followed by the even numbered cylinders.
The MS2 would maintain that mode.

The 1988 EFI should only have one O2 sensor which is on the short crossover pipe.
The 1996 4.9 was the only one with multiple O2 sensors.

You will have to do some research on using wide band O2 with MS2.
It is not clear how the system you are looking at supports a wide band O2 sensor.
Look through the Magasquirt section of this forum.
Here is one thread.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=76470

88F15088

Post #25 by 88F15088 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:14 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but sequential injection doesn't seem like too big of a deal.
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/faq ... equential/

It looks like I will need a separate controller for a wideband o2 sensor.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn- ... leSwitchNo

arse_sidewards

Post #26 by arse_sidewards » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 am

pmuller9 wrote:
arse_sidewards wrote:I really wish someone would make something like Holly Quick EFI that's meant to be side mounted, use external fuel injectors and have an intake hose attached.

Does the FiTech Go Port Stand Alone fit that description?
http://fitechefi.com/products/goport/go ... y-efi-kit/
You would only use 6 of the injectors making it a 400 hp system.

Sort of. I didn't look into the manuals but it looks like it requires the use of their fuel system. If it had a way to use existing fuel system components (i.e. some way to detect fuel pressure and set the number and size of injectors) it would really be the ticket since then it would only take a chunk of aluminum with the right holes in it for it to be adapted to whatever intake you want.

pmuller9

Post #27 by pmuller9 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 am

The internal regulator is preset at 58 psi and is non-adjustable.
Any fuel pump that can supply the pressure and volume will work.

pmuller9

Post #28 by pmuller9 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 pm

88F15088 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but sequential injection doesn't seem like too big of a deal.
https://www.diyautotune.com/support/faq ... equential/

There is a chance for slightly better fuel mileage but not worth the effort of re-wiring the engine compartment.

The only time there is a problem is when you are running large injectors with Bank to Bank on a "V" engine or Batch mode on any engine.
The fuel rails see all the injectors either open or closed and the rail pressures fluctuates leaving a low pressure point during injector open time.
That's why we only use sequential injection on a large injector high performance engine. The fuel rail pressure is stable.

88F15088 wrote:It looks like I will need a separate controller for a wideband o2 sensor.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn- ... leSwitchNo

I came to the same conclusion and the same Innovate LC-2 sensor.

88F15088

Post #29 by 88F15088 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 pm

In that case I may be almost ready to purchase the two items that I have linked. I would need a base tune for the car to even start, right? I can't seem to find one for a Ford 4.9.

pmuller9

Post #30 by pmuller9 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 pm

AEM is one of the better quality O2 sensor controllers.
Doesn't need frequent open air calibration and also includes a gauge so you can monitor a/f ratio as you drive.
Here is the new X series unit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0300

88F15088

Post #31 by 88F15088 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm

pmuller9 wrote:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0300

We have a new-ish Summit store around here that I may venture out to this weekend. I will buy the wideband if they have it. Anything else I should keep an eye out for? I'll be like a kid in a candy store.

pmuller9

Post #32 by pmuller9 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Ford uses a fuel pump controller that varies the fuel pressure.
You may want to get a 0 - 100 psi electronic fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure.

88F15088

Post #33 by 88F15088 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:49 pm

I grabbed the AFR gauge but will get a fuel pressure gauge later. I tried to buy the Megasquirt from the site I linked, but for some reason it will not let me add it to cart, it just loads infinitely. I emailed the guys at diyautotune to see if they would price match but haven't heard back. If I don't hear back tomorrow I will call the guys at poweraddersolutions and see if I can just order over the phone.

I will keep y'all posted.

Haywood

Post #34 by Haywood » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Ford uses a fuel pump controller that varies the fuel pressure.
You may want to get a 0 - 100 psi electronic fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure.

I know my sons 2005 F150 has that, we had to replace it, but I've never heard of that on a 96 or earlier.

arse_sidewards

Post #35 by arse_sidewards » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:37 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Ford uses a fuel pump controller that varies the fuel pressure.

EFI 300s have a mechanical fuel pressure regulator. It's bolted to the fuel rail and has a little vacuum hose going to the manifold. There's nothing to control pressure other than a higher PSI relief valve in the fuel pump assembly itself.

88F15088

Post #36 by 88F15088 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:43 am

I got my Megasquirt today and am pretty much finished assembling it. I just need the 60 pin connector, which should be here by tomorrow. I am a bit confused on wiring up the injectors. Here is the guide I am going off of: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... tang-5-0l/

Of course, that's for a Mustang, however, it should be pretty much the same since it is the Ford 60 pin connector. Anyway, it has 8 injector hook-ups, but I only need six. Does anyone know which pins I need to use for my injectors?

arse_sidewards

Post #37 by arse_sidewards » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:19 am

88F15088 wrote:I got my Megasquirt today and am pretty much finished assembling it. I just need the 60 pin connector, which should be here by tomorrow. I am a bit confused on wiring up the injectors. Here is the guide I am going off of: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... tang-5-0l/

Of course, that's for a Mustang, however, it should be pretty much the same since it is the Ford 60 pin connector. Anyway, it has 8 injector hook-ups, but I only need six. Does anyone know which pins I need to use for my injectors?

You're referring to the ones labeled INJ1 and INJ2? It looks like it's bank fire. Just leave two cylinders off each bank. IIRC the stock EFI is bank fire so if you do some digging you can probably figure out which cylinders are on which bank and just wire up the MS to be the same as that.

pmuller9

Post #38 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 am

On the harness connector;
Pin 58 should already connect to injectors 1,3,5
Pin 59 should be connected to injectors 2,4,6.
Check it with and ohm meter to verify

You shouldn't have to do any extra wiring.
The Megasquirt should be set up for Bank to Bank injection.

88F15088

Post #39 by 88F15088 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 pm

I got my connector today and I guess I didn't pay too much attention to the photos. You have to put in your own pins and solder wires to them, then to the board. Naturally, I didn't want to do this 60 times if I didn't have to, so I only soldered up the pins that I need.

It should be able to run this way, right? Those are the only pins connected to the Megasquirt, the other pins would do nothing anyway.

IMG_3593.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmuller9

Post #40 by pmuller9 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:16 am

Pin 45 for the MAP sensor doesn't appear to be wired?
Otherwise it looks good.

88F15088

Post #41 by 88F15088 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:42 pm

The Megasquirt has a MAP sensor on it already, you just hook a vacuum line to it. I got it to run yesterday, and it would idle fine, but would lean out if you got it over 2k RPM. I messed with the fuel table a bit today and it would rev up pretty good and sounded smooth, but it would idle very rough at 500-600 RPM and would die if you gave it a little gas from idle. I messed with the ignition tables a bit which I think made things worse. Most of the spark advance while at idle was set at or around 15*. I busted out a timing light and it seemed about right.

The wideband was reading 13.5-15 so I don't think it is a fuel issue. At idle the MAP reading is around 95-96 KPA. If I am correct, I think it is supposed to be around 60-70KPA, so there is probably a vacuum leak somewhere.

I put in my stock computer and o2 sensor and it seems to be running fine, minus the misfire that I thought I corrected. I will leave the stock computer in until I can correct the misfire. In the meantime I will contact a few people here who have Megasquirted their Fords and see if I can get pointed in the right direction.

88F15088

Post #42 by 88F15088 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:08 pm

I should also mention that I am using the ignition settings for a Mustang as found here: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... tang-5-0l/

Haywood

Post #43 by Haywood » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:11 pm

88F15088 wrote:The Megasquirt has a MAP sensor on it already, you just hook a vacuum line to it. I got it to run yesterday, and it would idle fine, but would lean out if you got it over 2k RPM. I messed with the fuel table a bit today and it would rev up pretty good and sounded smooth, but it would idle very rough at 500-600 RPM and would die if you gave it a little gas from idle. I messed with the ignition tables a bit which I think made things worse. Most of the spark advance while at idle was set at or around 15*. I busted out a timing light and it seemed about right.

The wideband was reading 13.5-15 so I don't think it is a fuel issue. At idle the MAP reading is around 95-96 KPA. If I am correct, I think it is supposed to be around 60-70KPA, so there is probably a vacuum leak somewhere.

I put in my stock computer and o2 sensor and it seems to be running fine, minus the misfire that I thought I corrected. I will leave the stock computer in until I can correct the misfire. In the meantime I will contact a few people here who have Megasquirted their Fords and see if I can get pointed in the right direction.

Does the megasquirt take over the idle control valve? I mean, if it isn't already doing it that should be a feature you can include.

MechRick

Post #44 by MechRick » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Are you using stock injectors? If so, you will have to change the number of squirts in the firmware. I ran mine with 24 pph injectors and it ran fine. Switching back to the stock injectors forced me to change settings.
Did you run Ford ECT and IAT sensors with the easytherm modifications?
I found Megasquirt does *not* like the IAT sensor in the stock location on my truck (manifold). If yours is in the manifold (later trucks were in the air box), move it to the air box.
If you haven't already, I suggest a switch to extra code (especially if you are running MS1).
Some things I've learned:
MS does not like low impedance injectors. They create noise in the power supply that causes problems.
Tune with the O2 step size set to zero. Once you get the maps close, you can set the step size to 1, putting the MS into closed loop.
You can run the wideband in closed loop all the time, but I don't recommend it. I like to tune with the WB, then swap in a narrow band sensor that goes open loop rich at about 70% throttle. Narrow band sensors last longer and never have to be calibrated.
For Max fuel economy, set the injectors to fuel cut on decel. The extra firmware is set up for this, you want fuel cut to occur below a certain TP setpoint, but above a certain MAP point (MAP is higher on decel than idle).
When you are tuning, make sure the engine is above the cold engine enrichment tables, or you will be wasting time.
There are certain areas of the table that can only be tuned with help. When finalizing the high speed tune for my Mustang, I put my wife in the driver's seat and told her to floor it in fifth gear. It put a grin on her face and allowed me to tune areas of the map I couldn't have otherwise.

Lastly, if you have questions, there are many MS afficiondos on this forum.
If you are running MS1 I may have a base map for you. It was for an engine with a Comp 268 and 24 pph injectors.
1994 F150, 4.9L/ZF 5 speed, C-Vic police driveshaft
EFI head w/mild port work, 3 angle valve job
1996 long block, stock pistons, ARP rod bolts
Stock cam, aluminum cam gear
Hedman header, full mandrel bent duals, crossover, super turbos
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73244
Bronco II with a 2.3L swap http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863
1988 F250 2x4, 460 ZF 5 speed.

MechRick

Post #45 by MechRick » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:43 pm

If you want to control an idle valve with a MS1, the idle transistor will have to be swapped to one that sinks more current. I don't think it's necessary with 2 and 3.
Because of the higher than normal fuel pressure these trucks run, fudge the injector flow rate in basic settings. Example: 14 pph injectors flow like 21 pph injectors at 60 psi (60/40=150%, 150% of 14=21 pph).

MechRick

Post #46 by MechRick » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:25 pm

88F15088 wrote:At idle the MAP reading is around 95-96 KPA. If I am correct, I think it is supposed to be around 60-70KPA

It should be idling in the 30's or 40's.

88F15088

Post #47 by 88F15088 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:29 pm

MechRick wrote:It should be idling in the 30's or 40's.

So I must have a major vacuum leak somewhere. With the stock computer back in, it is misfiring even worse. At a stop it just sputters, when you give it gas it hesitates and sputters, like it's only running off a few cylinders, but still driveable. Do you think I fouled up an (already misfiring) injector by putting in the Megasquirt? This is getting frustrating as the truck won't run right on either computer! :(

As suggested by someone else, I held a dollar bill to the exhaust and it didn't seem like it tried to suck it back in, so I don't think there is an issue with the valves.

I will buy a long screwdriver tonight and see if I can use it to hear the injectors.

88F15088

Post #48 by 88F15088 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 pm

I picked up an automotive stethoscope and put it to 5 out of 6 injectors, I couldn't reach the 6th one. The injectors sound fine, maybe since it is such a big vacuum leak (95ish KPA at idle is what the Megasquirt was saying) it could be causing this? I will take a spray bottle of water tomorrow and spray around the intake manifold and other vacuum lines.

MechRick

Post #49 by MechRick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:33 pm

If you have a propane bottle, crank it open over each intake runner and see if it smoothes out.

88F15088

Post #50 by 88F15088 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:46 pm

I sprayed water around the throttle body and intake runners and didn't hear a change in idle. I messed with a few other things then got impatient and took it to a shop, and paid to have them diagnose it. It was the throttle body gasket, not sure how I didn't find that, I sprayed water right on it. Anyway, they replaced it and it sounds a lot better, still sputters a bit but certainly not as bad as before.

I will pick up a vacuum gauge and mess with it a bit more in a few days.

I also figured out why my Megasquirt was reading 95 KPA, it's because I hooked a T adapter from the two hoses on top of the throttle body for my MAP hose, these are BEFORE the intake manifold, therefore create no vacuum... DOH :bang: