Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

1995 F-150 4.9 Bolt-on Performance/ Recomendations

Moderator: Mod Squad

rms1995i6

1995 F-150 4.9 Bolt-on Performance/ Recomendations

Post #1 by rms1995i6 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello,
I have a 1995 F-150 4.9 with EFI and not so good gas mileage.
I know this particular topic has been beaten to death more times than anyone could count but I feel I know what I want and it's not unreasonable.
It's a single cab short bed that i am planning on leveling or lifting a couple of inches to fit 32-33" all terrains.
All I would like is a little more get up and go so I can enjoy being a teenager every once in a while. I'm thinking at most 200hp but I know that that could cost a good chunk of change. My general goal is to have a good overall truck. Reliable and something that has power on tap for when I need it.
Planning on getting an electric fan and maybe a different exhaust and when the truck turns 25, remove the smog equipment.

Is there anything else that would be worth my while on a student budget or anything I should refrain from doing?

Thanks in advance.

pmuller9

Re: 1995 F-150 4.9 Bolt-on Performance/ Recomendations

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:24 pm

You're right, the subject has been beaten on pretty good but that doesn't mean there isn't room for more beatings.

The general conclusion is: if you need a lot more power without tuning headaches, the stock ECM needs to be replaced with an aftermarket wide band O2 EFI system OR replace the port EFI system with a throttlebody EFI OR replace EFI altogether with a carburetor and an ignition system.

Roller rockers are now available. No need to convert to stud mount rockers with pushrod guides for valve lifts near .500" or more.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc- ... /overview/

justintendo

Post #3 by justintendo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 am

avoid the lift and bigger tires...they will cost performance, handling, and fuel economy.

the smog equipment isnt really costing any power or economy really. unless you have something badly malfunctioning, you should leave it. the egr system actually helps performance.
the electric fan mod works well..theres a small bump in throttle response, and the engine is much quieter.
96 F150 rc/sb...4.9, m5od, 2.73 gears
dual electric fan, 3g alt, kirban fpr, modified airbox, front/rear hellwig swaybars, rancho shocks, 2" rear drop, steering damper, general grabber hts, pioneer stock size speakers/head unit, mtx 8" sub behind seat, ss brake hoses, first cat followed by 3" single system w/ flowmaster 70
mobil 1 10w30 hm

Wesman07

Post #4 by Wesman07 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:42 am

Avoid the lift kit. It has been my experience that the front suspensions on these trucks do not take modifications well. You will find yourself a frequent customer at the alignment shop. They just don't want to track straight. Further more, there isn't a chassis engineer at these lift kit company's. 99% of them royally screw up the gemonetry. Also, any type of drop bracket is added leverage on your chassis. It weakens your suspension/ frame.

It will tolerate a 2" lift with out major work. I would suggest a longer spring/ shock and limiting straps. I can help you if you want to go that route.

33" tires are absolute max for a Dana 44. I would recommend sticking to 31"s. If you do go 33", you have to tread lightly. And be prepared to do frequent hub, brake, wheel bearing and axle severice.
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

rms1995i6

Post #5 by rms1995i6 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks so much y'all!
Yes I thought about it more after I posted it and I think the lift and 33's are too much and way more then what I would need for the occasional off-road driving I might participate in.
Probably 31" all terrains is my best bet and stock everything else.
I like the idea of a carburetor but I know that that can be expensive plus perhaps a bit complicated?
Simple and cheap is the name of the game when in my position. Sure y'all have been there before.
After re-reading your answer pmuller9, it seems that maybe an after market EFI system might be that but that's all on speculation.
Of course I would rather have reliability over power, just trying to explore my options. Thanks again.