Spark plug wires

Moderator: Mod Squad

Blairsville Ed

Spark plug wires

Post #1 by Blairsville Ed » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 am

1968 F100. 240. Carter YF. Dual port, stock Ford distributor

I want to stay with the stock look but I want to fine tune the system
First thing I noticed was the aftermarket points and condenser were not very good
I found some nos motorcraft parts which definitely helped

My question is
Best spark plug wires ? Carbon, mag or solid core
Brass or aluminum insert distributor cap ?
Best spark plugs ? I'm using auto lite 45 now

wallen7

Re: Spark plug wires

Post #2 by wallen7 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:40 am

Brass contacts on dist cap, spiral core 8mm plug wires ( radio noise supression ) and plugs with an extended tip for efi

old28racer

Post #3 by old28racer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:16 am

Hope your OK with me asking a question on your post. I'm going to use a small cap HEI distributor with a HI Output 50,000 volt coil, Offy dual port intake with a 4100 Autolite carb. What spark plug would you run on a street 300 motor?
Bad Day Racing Is Better Than A Day In The Stands :mrgreen:

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #4 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Stay with the stock plug / heat range unless you dramatically increase the compression ratio.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

blmhawkeye

Post #5 by blmhawkeye » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:25 pm

I spoke with a friend of mine about this. He went to school for electrical engineering and robotics and is a pretty smart guy.

From what he's been able to explain is that when the magnetic field collapses and it discharges the voltage you end up with a large percentage of the voltage only traveling on the outside of the conductive wire instead of through the center. (Path of least resistance) so in theory solid copper wires would be the best if the cables aren't required to be flexible. Otherwise you get braided wire that works near just as well and you don't worry about kinking or breaking a solid core wire.

I got Livewires because they were what everyone was saying at the time to not be causing RF problems for them (I plan on Fuel Infecting the truck in the future) and to be around the same resistance as solid core wires.

They are spendy however and am sure there are other products that will do the job just as well if not better.

Best of luck