Brand new rebuilt carb flooding (is it the mechanical fuel pump?)

Moderator: Mod Squad

Krussell

Brand new rebuilt carb flooding (is it the mechanical fuel pump?)

Post #1 by Krussell » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 pm

So, I have a brand new (rebuilt) carb flooding. My old one was doing the same thing. I replaced the mechanical fuel pump and the carb. It ran great for a week, then the same problem started again. I think it was from a vented gas cap no longer venting. So, I changed the gas cap and I no longer have the sound like I'm opening up a dr. pepper each time I take off the cap. I figured this was the problem all along, and thought it would all be fixed. But my carb is still flooding. I took the carb apart and looked at the float, the seat, the needle- they all seem like they're working fine, and I don't see any crud in there. Can my new mechanical fuel pump by messed up and causing too much pressure so that it's flooding the carb?

k2evd65f100

Re: Brand new rebuilt carb flooding (is it the mechanical fuel pump?)

Post #2 by k2evd65f100 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:17 pm

if your carb is flooding the float/needle is probly getting stuck open=some times a gentile tap with a screw driver handle will help it close - from what ive learned recently about fuel pumps they dont put out to much - 6 psi max maybe - good luck

Krussell

Post #3 by Krussell » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:51 am

I ended up taking the whole carb apart. It looks like everything is fine. Although, it was entirely flooded and I just thought that could be what's happening now. I'm just wondering if the diaphragm on that new fuel pump is shot. I assume either way, it should be ok with the new (good) vented cap- I would think. I don't know. I'm going to put that carb back on, change the oil for the 7th time, and give it another try

Superbum

Post #4 by Superbum » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:56 pm

Try replacing the needle and seat. Sometimes carbs sit on the shelf a long time and it can distort the needle or the company that rebuilt it used sub par parts.

wallen7

Post #5 by wallen7 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Look at the needle carefully it could have a groove or a small distorted spot in it.

Fordman75

Post #6 by Fordman75 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Some brands of carbs don't like much fuel pressure even 6 or 7 psi can be too much. If you want to rule this out throw on one of the dial style fuel pressure regulators. Like the MR. Gasket 9710.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-9710-Fuel-Regulator/dp/B000BWAPQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514752138&sr=8-1&keywords=mr.+gasket+fuel+pressure+regulator

Depending on your carb, some brands like as little as 3 psi.
Ted

54 Ford F100/F150 4x4
300, NP435 4spd, NP205 transfercase