Changing 92 f150 to duraspark ignition

Moderator: Mod Squad

Welderhead

Changing 92 f150 to duraspark ignition

Post #1 by Welderhead » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 am

I just dropped a 81 300 in my truck that has only 7000 miles on it. I am keeping it carbureted and wanting to put duraspark ignition on it. The only problem ive encountered is findin the correct wire from the 92 harness to hook to the blue grommet duraspark module. Any suggestions. Ive got a coil that doesnt need a resistor. Another question is can i wire into the run and start circuits on the plug from previous ignition module,if so do i still need to run a wire to the starter relay? I also have the starter relay with s and i posts. Will the original harness still work with the oil sending unit and temp.? Of course i know that id have to delete some of the harness because the 92 had 2 temp and 3 oil units i think.
Last edited by Welderhead on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmuller9

Re: Changing 92 f150 to duraspark ignition

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:37 pm

To get started:

Does the starter relay have both the "S" and "I" terminals?
Do you have a Ballast Resistor?

Once you have those two items you can wire the system as follows. See diagram on page two
http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30812.pdf

The wire shown from the ignition switch to the ballast resistor will be the red/light green wire that went to the former ignition control module and ignition coil.
Double check this connection with a volt meter or 12 volt light. It should only be on when the ignition switch is in the run position.