Permanent 300 Six Cyl Head CFM solutions- A Work in Progress

Moderator: Mod Squad

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Re: Permanent 300 Six Cyl Head CFM solutions- A Work in Progress

Post #251 by woodbutcher » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 am

:D Sounds like a whole lot of fun to come.Looking forward to the results.Thanks for the updates.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

broncr
VIP Member

Post #252 by broncr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 pm

I've been trying to wade this whole thread - what a treasure trove of info - THANKS TO ALL!

Bruce, Paul, everyone - a great big THANK YOU!!! :thumbup:

At first, I was scanning through the thread trying to find price & availability of the SS head(s)? It wasn't long 'til I was up to my neck in the nut's & bolts ( make that "Over my head").

Well worth a small donation to PP - I wish it were more, but I'm now pushing $1K for my cam swap (and a few other "while I'm at it's").

I'm going to take the time to read through this again ( and probably again, and again) - more carefully. My eyes struggle to read extensively but they seem to recover under the shop lights so that's where I'm going... :wink:

In the mean time, if I missed the SS head cost & availability - any link would be much appreciated!
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #253 by WorldChampGramp » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 am

"Broncr" Thanks for your inquiry and you kind donation via the PP link to our cause.

Don't feel like the lone ranger when it comes to being overwhelmed by the information and nomenclature in this extensive post. I have to re-read several posts dated months back sometimes to comprise an answer.

Our new and finalized cylinder head names are SVO Jr., SVO Sr. and BSX-Flow Jr. being former SS or Street/Strip, Sr was former Max Flow U-head and the Cross Flow butt kicker is a welded 3-piece New Aluminum LS3 casting with 320CFM intake. All our (3) cylinder head offerings are NEW castings and will be bolt-on.

Tentative pricing for a fully assembled complete SVO Jr. head is in the $1,500 range. Your donation allowed us to break the $800 mark as I can now report we have received a total of $805 in a 4-month campaign contribution effort.
Here’s the PP link for those of you who may not be aware of our quest. https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq

Bruce :wrench: :idea: :thanks:

BigBlue94

Post #254 by BigBlue94 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:14 am

Still following along, though I won't be purchasing, at least in the near future. I too get lost in all the technical jargon but I learn a lot too. (Like the C8 head i have having smaller chambers)

I threw a small donation your way. I too am in the middle of an engine rebuild and it's draining the ol pocketbook pretty good.
1985 Bronco. 300-6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. 300 has a 4bbl and headers.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #255 by woodbutcher » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

:rolflmao: Hi Bruce.Don`t sweat it.We ALL have our off days.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

deere114

Post #256 by deere114 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 am

Just got a call from the machine shop doing my carb head. He was able to get 210 cfm at .500" lift with a 1.94 intake valve. Just some data to compare against these new (better) cylinder head offerings.

blmhawkeye

Post #257 by blmhawkeye » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:45 am

Very nice, glad to see it worked out and blueprints became available for you guys.

deere114

Post #258 by deere114 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Edit: 1.9" intake valve

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Apology Offered

Post #259 by WorldChampGramp » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:17 am

WorldChampGramp wrote:BigBlue this might help with your engine build. :party:

We have acquired several NEW sets of Sealed Power Hypereutectic cast Pistons (with rings) for the 4.9L 300 Six with the following specs: Bore 4.030, 22 cc dish, Std CD, all have Std.927 Ford pins, ring sets are 5/64 MOLY top, 5/64 cast second and 3/16 segmented Stainless Steel oil.

These are genuine Speed Pro/Sealed Power manufactured and not off-shore knockoffs. Priced significantly below wholesale @ $111 per set of (6) only for Forum Members.

Send Gramps a PM :thumbup: if you need one or more sets for your engine build/s. When they’re gone they’re gone. Bruce

TO ALL: I openly apologise for the above post as Admin has recently reminded me of this :nono: Obviously violating forum rules was not my intent. Bruce

CNC-Dude

Post #260 by CNC-Dude » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:52 am

I pointed out to you some months back that you had been violating forum rules by soliciting parts and services but you didn't seem to get it. Only the authorized vendors shown at the top of the ad banner on the Home Page have this privilege on this forum, and most all other forums as well.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #261 by Lazy JW » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:12 pm

CNC-Dude wrote:I pointed out to you some months back that you had been violating forum rules by soliciting parts and services but you didn't seem to get it. Only the authorized vendors shown at the top of the ad banner on the Home Page have this privilege on this forum, and most all other forums as well.

Ok. Enough said. Gramps has publicly apologized, now lets all get back to this very pertinent and important thread about heads for our engines.
Joe
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

CNC-Dude

Post #262 by CNC-Dude » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:14 pm

The point is, this entire thread violates forum rules and regulations. So you can't get back to it without continuing to violate the rules.

Mdixon300f100

Post #263 by Mdixon300f100 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:49 pm

By that logic the buy sell trade section is also a violation...

CNC-Dude

Post #264 by CNC-Dude » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:13 pm

It only applies to commercial type ads and not casual, buy/sell items like cleaning out your garage. Soliciting services or parts on a commercial level is only allowed by authorized forum vendors. Also, using the forums messaging system to contact members on behalf of unauthorized forum vendors to solicite their parts or services is also forbidden. That has also been done by several members here. So, many of his threads have gone way overboard with violating terms and agreement policies starting with his first few posts. Many forums have these same rules and regulations, if he's breaking them here, he is also breaking them on others.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #265 by Lazy JW » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Ok, this thread is locked for now.
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #266 by Lazy JW » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm going to unlock this thread for a while.

Gramps is doing VERY important work that is relevant to our Ford sixes, and he is not competing with any other head manufacturer on this forum.

CNC-Dude

Post #267 by CNC-Dude » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:54 am

You don't get it either!

jason832

Post #268 by jason832 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:17 am

Keep up the excellent work gramps. Any updates on when the first head will be dyno'd or available for order etc?

Many of us are patiently waiting to finally make some power out of our sixes and we greatly appreciate the work.

If I can make the suggestion a Facebook page or something is started so we can all discuss matters that risk getting this thread shut down or accounts deleted, elsewhere where it is permitted. Site rules are site rules, but fortunately we all have the right to go elsewhere.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #269 by Lazy JW » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 am

CNC-Dude wrote:You don't get it either!

Perhaps not.

However, you are the ONLY person complaining about this; to the contrary,I have had several PM's from members generally supporting this thread.

I am trying to walk a fine line here between strict interpretation of rules and keeping a very valuable thread open.

I intend to leave this thread open until someone higher up the food chain instructs me to close it. Until then let's keep this thread on topic.

Any off-topic posts will be deleted. That includes advertising and/or sniveling.

pmuller9

Post #270 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Bruce and I spent a lot of time discussing the start of this thread and where the boundaries were going to be.
The thread content was intended to allow everyone to be able to follow the development of all three heads and also be able to have some input on design features.

It was necessary to let everyone know that these heads would be available but that does not constitute a sale.
There has been nothing to sell to date and there are no specifics on pricing either.
When it comes time to bring product to market it will be handled appropriately.

Yes there was an oops on piston sales but that was quickly corrected.

The first 1.84"/160 valve junior head has been completed and is awaiting for the rest of the engine assembly for dyno testing.

We decided to begin the devolpment of the 1.94"/1.60" valve senior head.
A head is in the shop having valve seats and throats cut before starting the port and chamber work.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #271 by Lazy JW » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Bruce and I spent a lot of time discussing the start of this thread and where the boundaries were going to be.
The thread content was intended to allow everyone to be able to follow the development of all three heads and also be able to have some input on design features.

It was necessary to let everyone know that these heads would be available but that does not constitute a sale.
There has been nothing to sell to date and there are no specifics on pricing either.
When it comes time to bring product to market it will be handled appropriately.

Yes there was an oops on piston sales but that was quickly corrected.

The first 1.84"/160 valve junior head has been completed and is awaiting for the rest of the engine assembly for dyno testing.

We decided to begin the devolpment of the 1.94"/1.60" valve senior head.
A head is in the shop having valve seats and throats cut before starting the port and chamber work.

Thanks for updating us on your progress, I was beginning to fear that this important project would be lost to Fordsix.

pmuller9

Post #272 by pmuller9 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Now you can see just how a quality Ford OEM casting should look with consistent (wall thickness) throughout the casting. This will serve as an excellent guide for our** in progress** max flow SVO Sr head development. Yes we are getting there; hope to finalize our Sr. head design by years end so we can offer both Jr. & Sr. U-Flow alternatives in January 2019. We can now predict the Ultimate Aluminum BSX-Flow head will be finalized and ready for “field Testing” First Quarter of 2019.
Gramps.

sandboxer

Post #273 by sandboxer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 am

That is the most informative sectioning I’ve seen. There seems to be quite a bit of available material in the sides to open things up a bit. Will you cnc port your runners or template and carve by hand?
Keep up the great work.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #274 by WorldChampGramp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:26 am

sandboxer wrote:That is the most informative sectioning I’ve seen. There seems to be quite a bit of available material in the sides to open things up a bit. Will you cnc port your runners or template and carve by hand?
Keep up the great work.

The old fashioned way, better known as eye/hand coordination. Right now funding is at a standstill for any non-essential program exploration such as cnc programing & exploration of available (cooperative) 4 or 5 axis alternatives. As our customer demand and distribution of our 2 EFI offerings [SVO Jr and SVO Sr] begin and are successful then we will be able to plow back any profits into automated cnc production with its inherent labor intensive savings. At least that's what my pea-brain dictates.
Gramps :checks:

sandboxer

Post #275 by sandboxer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am

Nothing wrong with the old fashioned way. We humans still need to prove our worth against the machine, before we become obsolete. Awesome.

Wesman07

Post #276 by Wesman07 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:32 am

Every once in a while someone will ask “ how much can I deck the head?” Well fellas here is your answer. Bruce measured an average and fairly consistent deck thickness of .370”

Also note the powered metal rod that did not hold up to the turbo charged 600hp.

Image Image
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #277 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Rod looks like it hydraulic'd.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

arse_sidewards

Post #278 by arse_sidewards » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:13 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Rod looks like it hydraulic'd.

Must have been running just a tad rich. :rolflmao:
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #279 by WorldChampGramp » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:27 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Rod looks like it hydraulic'd.
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:
Rod looks like it hydraulic'd.

Gramps should have clarified, rod is not out of a Ford Six but Turbocharged Beemer just happened to be on the bench and as the post made by Wesman states

Also note the powered metal rod that did not hold up to the turbo charged 600hp no mention of Beemer and or 240/300 six. Not Wesmans error mine. :bang:

broncr
VIP Member

Post #280 by broncr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Having watched the progress & hoping for ~15 years, it's great to see the reality of better flowing 300-6 aluminum heads finally about to come to fruition. I'm saving my pennies. I'll admit I have become a bit lost in all the back & forth and am just hoping I can adapt one of these for my application - a 1982 carb'd 4x4 Bronco beast/mule. On my last build I did just about every conceivable improvement "recommended" FSP mod, short of larger valves. From unshrouding the exhaust, moderate porting & port matching to Clif single plane (with a 390 Holley) & FI exhaust, Walker Y, BBC rollers w/7/16 threaded studs, Cloyes adj gears, ARP studs, HE pistons, Zero deck, full balance, a mild cam, hi-flow oil pump - the list was about as extensive as "everything suggested at the time" ( about 10 years ago). I found a T-19 (out of a late 80's 6.8 diesel, with the sychro'd 1st), and even stuck a Gear Vendors overdrive in it, to get 7 forward speeds.

If someone could direct me to a full summary post (or two, or three) of the new head offerings - Primarily I'm wanting to know if I'll have to rework/change the rockers/studs. I believe the U-flows will accommodate a stock(ish) Cliff intake, and hopefully be drilled to better accept/secure the FI exhaust upgrade ( for my early 80's app). There are just so many iterations of the 300, over the decades, that I can see some potential issues for my particular situation/build. The need/desire to come up with a "generic" head that covers so many different applications - all the work involved is much appreciated, and very commendable. At the same time, I'd rather not do too much "backing up " to move further forward ( with the Ally head upgrade).

My apologies in advance - the answers are likely already out there, somewhere - there's just quite a bit of alternative/related discussion that is easy to get lost in. A final suggestion - I think they should be called, respectively, the "Thunder, Lightening, & Crossfire Hurricane heads - Jr & Sr, etc., just doesn't have same "appeal"... :wink:
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

pmuller9

Post #281 by pmuller9 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:22 pm

The two new "U" heads will except any bolt-on items that you are using presently using.
They have the 3 extra bolt holes for the EFI exhaust manifolds.

If you are using rocker studs you will need pushrod guide plates and pushrods that are hardened for guide plate use.
The advantage is you can use 3/8" pushrods without having to machine the head.

The Scorpion pedestal mount roller rockers are a bolt down installation but may need shims to have the correct geometry with the longer valves.

For the moment the SR head appears not to need raised ports for increased flow but that has not been finalized.

The crossflow head needs the top of the lifter gallery in the block notched for the pushrods since the pushrods angle out instead of in for the stock head.
A custom lifter gallery cover will be supplied.
The pistons will need some valve relieves.

Any of the LS3 valve train components will work

Primary header tubes are 1 5/8" minimum. Will need to be custom or modified LS.

It is possible to adapt 300 six intake manifolds but would not be a good choice. Creativity will be needed here.

broncr
VIP Member

Post #282 by broncr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks so much, Paul. It sounds like it will be relatively painless.

The "head fund" is growing...

I think I read somewhere here that there is a way to get on the "wait list"?

Edit: I'm sifting back through this thread from the start. What a ton of info - I keep getting sidetracked in my thought process. I'm almost half way through, this time. Many thanks to all who are sharing their thoughts, insights & efforts!

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #283 by WorldChampGramp » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:33 am

pmuller9 wrote:The two new "U" heads will except any bolt-on items that you are using presently using.
They have the 3 extra bolt holes for the EFI exhaust manifolds.

If you are using rocker studs you will need pushrod guide plates and pushrods that are hardened for guide plate use.
The advantage is you can use 3/8" pushrods without having to machine the head.

The Scorpion pedestal mount roller rockers are a bolt down installation but may need shims to have the correct geometry with the longer valves.

For the moment the SR head appears not to need raised ports for increased flow but that has not been finalized.

The crossflow head needs the top of the lifter gallery in the block notched for the pushrods since the pushrods angle out instead of in for the stock head.
A custom lifter gallery cover will be supplied.
The pistons will need some valve relieves.

Any of the LS3 valve train components will work

Primary header tubes are 1 5/8" minimum. Will need to be custom or modified LS.

It is possible to adapt 300 six intake manifolds but would not be a good choice. Creativity will be needed here.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #284 by WorldChampGramp » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 am

Broncr

You can see above I quoted Paul's excellent post answering most of your questions but forgot to post the following last night hey even Gramps screws up occasionally. this should also help address your key points:

Thank You Paul your summary is dead on as usual and members of this forum has no idea how important your role is in our development program and its lofty goal progress. I also want to personally thank Wesman07 (Wes) for his consistent follow-up with Forum members who request additional information about one or more of the three cylinder head offerings. These behind the scenes efforts help motivate and guide us toward offering what you as a Group want and not just what we perceive to be the Big Six performance latest & Greatest. Progress is being made on all 3 head options. Luckily a few local businesses have donated work space, used tooling, interim storage for program essentials such as our new horizontal band saw with its 7” X 12” throat capacity. We now have a laser guided 15 speed floor drill press with 6” X and Y cross feed machinist vice not a mill but handy for some of our fixture work. Some extra curricula networking by Gramps has unearthed a neighbor who owns one of the premier machine/specialty tooling shops in the Chicago environs and has offered and will make any of our one-of a-kind prototype essentials. This goes to support the proverb which states “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”.
Gramps has been a little under the weather lately with a bout of Shingles which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Sure has altered my hectic pace somewhat but still manage to keep on truckin. Good news is I have had more time to contact old friends who have not been aware of our Big Six program and/or my personal fundraising effort thru the PP chip in URL. ‘Gramps’

https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq

broncr
VIP Member

Post #285 by broncr » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 am

Thank you, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I've known a few folks who've gone through Shingles. All relayed how horribly painful they are. One said it should the name is very misleading - it should be called something like "Non Stop Hornet Attack".

I got the Anti-Shingles Vaccination as soon as I was eligible. IIRC, one had to be at least 62, and it only lessened the chances of getting them.

Again - best wishes.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #286 by WorldChampGramp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Important Update from Gramps

This post will be filled with mixed emotions both good and sad news, let’s get the sad news out of the way first.

Background:
For those of you who have been loyal followers of this Big Six development thread, you will recall that one of my First quarter mile success stories was centered around the very controversial and infamous Preparation H Maverick that was powered by a 300 Ford Six with a extensively ported 240 Ford u-flow sporting 3 48MM IDA downdraft weber carburetors.

When the Maverick 1ST hit the Division 3 and NHRA National events in 1970, I was still working in the Ford Performance Events Dept where employee competitive racing was a no no as it was then considered a conflict of interest. Ironically GM and Chrysler encouraged and supported their motorsports departmental employees and their racing endeavors were viewed as an avocation in contrast to Fomoco policy. The Preparation H Maverick made its debut at a Division 3 points meet in the spring of 1970 piloted by Tom Schumacher who was a Ford Stock eliminator driver regularly campaigning his low 10’s , very successful A/S 427 Fairlane.

The three silent partners of mine in this venture were Frank Pryg, Bob White and Art Keyes. Bob was best man at my wedding a very close friend and his two sons Bobby and Kim are going to field their newly constructed ‘cloned’ version of Preparation H using our Highest Flow U-Flow Sr head and making its Michigan ¼ mile debut sometime in 2019.

All the foregoing was necessary and I can honestly say I would not be involved in this program AT ALL had Bobby & Kim not bugged me to build them an engine for the past 3-4 years.

I had to make an unplanned trip to Michigan last Friday to see Bob Sr for the last time as he was not expected to live more than a week at most. On Saturday, I spent hours at his bedside viewing his emaciated frame, holding his hand trying not to cry and encouraging him to relax and let go. He seemed to respond to my voice at times and passed away peacefully at 2AM last Sunday morning.

On my flight home I promised myself that I would devote even more effort to our development program, as a tribute to this dear friend and his two fine sons; what better way to forge ahead to our Forum finish line. I ask of all followers and Forum members to “Keep the faith”; say a prayer for Bob Sr who is now in God’s hands, and bless the White family in their struggle to cope with their loss.

I will be posting significant program changes and developments by this weekend or next Wednesday at the latest. As always you can PM me, Paul or Wes with any specific questions you may have regarding any of the (3) [soon to be available] unique cylinder heads.
Warmest Regards, Bruce Sizemore

Lunatic Fringe

Post #287 by Lunatic Fringe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Bruce, my condolences.

sandboxer

Post #288 by sandboxer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:50 pm

So sorry for your loss, Bruce.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #289 by woodbutcher » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am

:( My condolences Sir.
Leo

Otto von Bismarck

jason832

Post #290 by jason832 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 pm

My condolences as well Bruce. You never know when someone that close will pass. Keep your head up, were all very impressed with the work and passion you are putting into this project.

Jason

frankob29

Post #291 by frankob29 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:14 pm

My condolences Bruce and to the White family.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #292 by WorldChampGramp » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:36 am

Thanks everyone for you kind and encouraging comments regarding the loss of my partner and lifelong friend Bob White Sr.

As we move forward on our 3-prong development program I have decided to take complete control of the BSX-Flow aluminum head and will be doing all or most of the hands-on fixturing, template work, welding fixture design and assembly, in fact everything short of the actual welding process will be my responsibility to see through to completion. I can't just tell someone what I want done for two main reasons, COST and on-the-fly changes will be much easier to control if I don't rely on others. May sound a little pompus but what most of us should care about is results and not how we get there. I will be asking Wesman07 and Paul (PMuller9) to update all of you as pics and progress are being made. BTW the Jr u-flow head is ready for production and the Sr u-flow is still in the port development stage but progressing nicely. Keep those thoughtful donations flowing we are idea rich program but cash flow poor. Gramps
Here's the chip in link. https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq

jason832

Post #293 by jason832 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:37 am

Excellent news, can't wait for a Sr head.

maxtrux
Location: Home is in OK, but currently working in Sacramento, CA

Post #294 by maxtrux » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:29 pm

After recently buying a '68 F100 with a 300 auto, I started searching the internet for info. Reading through this particular thread got me motivated. I first made a small donation for the work on the heads and then I joined this site. I am not wanting to build a 300 race engine, at this point, but it would be AWESOME to tow my Lightning to the drag strip with my old '68 300 6 cylinder. Not trying to alter anything on the thread but wanted to let you know you are motivating folks and I wanted to hopefully keep you motivated. I fully understand what it is like to stay motivated on an expensive, long term, race project. This is something that hasn't been done before so it is truly groundbreaking. Keep going guys.
68 F100 300 auto; '78 T'bird 28K original miles; '86 F350 5.9 Cummins; '93 Lightning Turbo coming soon; '94 Mark VIII w/nitrous; '98 Ram V6 43K My dad's last truck; '99 Navigator; 2000 Excursion V10; 2011 F350 6.7; 2017 F350 6.7
Reckon my next one should be from the 50s but I do love the early 60s falcon

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #295 by WorldChampGramp » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:01 pm

maxtrux wrote:After recently buying a '68 F100 with a 300 auto, I started searching the internet for info. Reading through this particular thread got me motivated. I first made a small donation for the work on the heads and then I joined this site. I am not wanting to build a 300 race engine, at this point, but it would be AWESOME to tow my Lightning to the drag strip with my old '68 300 6 cylinder. Not trying to alter anything on the thread but wanted to let you know you are motivating folks and I wanted to hopefully keep you motivated. I fully understand what it is like to stay motivated on an expensive, long term, race project. This is something that hasn't been done before so it is truly groundbreaking. Keep going guys.

Maxtrux: Great logical thought process, your positive attitude and support is a welcomed jesture for all of us involved in this complex undertaking. We will try and answer any program questions from our perspective but want you to know, as a newcomer, there are plenty of forum members with a wealth of knowledge to address most anything Big Six performance related. As we move forward we are already considering how best to work in Turbo & Supercharger usage with all 3 cylinder head types. Keep in touch. Again thanks much for the thoughtful donation. Bruce Sizemore aka Gramps

Phase3

Post #296 by Phase3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Subscribing. Want to show my support, interest and appreciation in this head development project. Have read through these posts for the past 6 months. Very interested in a better flowing head for turbo app. Thanks!
1996 f150 turbo 4.9 OBD2 M5OD 4x4 12 lbs on 93
1997 f350 351w cclb- sacrificed power but saving the butterflies

Max_Effort

Post #297 by Max_Effort » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:36 pm

I’ve seen where just two 5.3 LS heads were put together. With the smaller chamber of the 5.3, the fabricator centered cylinders 2&5 and said the rest of the chambers aligned well enough.

BC08DA00-FCD6-42F7-BD0B-422BF2AF1877.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmuller9

Post #298 by pmuller9 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Max_Effort wrote:I’ve seen where just two 5.3 LS heads were put together. With the smaller chamber of the 5.3, the fabricator centered cylinders 2&5 and said the rest of the chambers aligned well enough.

Using a head with larger chambers and larger valves, the .080" difference in bore spacing requires a 3 piece head.

Wesman07

Post #299 by Wesman07 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 pm

pmuller9 wrote:
Max_Effort wrote:I’ve seen where just two 5.3 LS heads were put together. With the smaller chamber of the 5.3, the fabricator centered cylinders 2&5 and said the rest of the chambers aligned well enough.

Using a head with larger chambers and larger valves, the .080" difference in bore spacing requires a 3 piece head.

Looking at that picture, I only see one seam and it is in the middle. Perhaps that’s the difference between what most people would try, and what you and Bruce are working on. One is a “permanent solution “.
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

Max_Effort

Post #300 by Max_Effort » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Wesman07 wrote:
pmuller9 wrote:

Looking at that picture, I only see one seam and it is in the middle. Perhaps that’s the difference between what most people would try, and what you and Bruce are working on. One is a “permanent solution “.

On that head it’s just one seam. It’s not perfection doing that way, but for someone doing a “one off” themselves, it’s less cutting, machining and welding. It’s another interesting adaption of the LS head. Even that LM7 head with its smaller valves will kick the crap of most OEM pushrod heads...

How much would it cost to make the core boxes and cast the 6 cyl head based on Gramps welded up LS head?

Return to “240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance”