Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Permanent 300 Six Cyl Head CFM solutions- A Work in Progress

Moderator: Mod Squad

Lunatic Fringe

Re: Permanent 300 Six Cyl Head CFM solutions- A Work in Progress

Post #351 by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Very nice!

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Re: Look What Santa found for GRAMPS

Post #352 by WorldChampGramp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:47 am

WorldChampGramp wrote:I-GAS PINTO with X-Flow license plate.jpg

Thanks Lunatic Fringe:
You can imagine my surprise last September when one of my Ford contacts "thought" he might be able to locate my Pinto , which only happened because I attended the 50TH anniversary of the Cobra Jet Mustang at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk OH last July. He tracked it down and found it in a warehouse were the Don Hardy Chassis “gasser” had been parked since 1982 yes 36 years not seeing daylight. Hard to believe and one of those Bucket List items I never thought possible. Now we will soon have a rolling test bed, with a familiar feeling driver seat, updated chassis where necessary and our BSX-Flow cylinder head I predict will make 600 HP NA. 2019 should be quite a YEAR for we Loyal Forum Members.

:santa; Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year :beer: to ALL.

Bruce Sizemore aka Gramps

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Re: Look What Santa found for GRAMPS

Post #353 by WorldChampGramp » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 pm

WorldChampGramp wrote:
WorldChampGramp wrote:I-GAS PINTO with X-Flow license plate.jpg

Thanks Lunatic Fringe:
You can imagine my surprise last September when one of my Ford contacts "thought" he might be able to locate my Pinto , which only happened because I attended the 50TH anniversary of the Cobra Jet Mustang at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk OH last July. He tracked it down and found it in a warehouse were the Don Hardy Chassis “gasser” had been parked since 1982 yes 36 years not seeing daylight. Hard to believe and one of those Bucket List items I never thought possible. Now we will soon have a rolling test bed, with a familiar feeling driver seat, updated chassis where necessary and our BSX-Flow cylinder head I predict will make 600 HP NA. 2019 should be quite a YEAR for we Loyal Forum Members.

:santa; Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year :beer: to ALL.

Bruce Sizemore aka Gramps

So forum members don't have to pge back to see what Santa found for Gramps :D

I-GAS PINTO with X-Flow license plate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

motorsickle1130

Post #354 by motorsickle1130 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Holy Crapoly Batman!! 600 hp N/A?!?!
I was gonna be happy with 400 at the flywheel with 10-14lbs.

Happy Holidays to all

Dr Neal

Post #355 by Dr Neal » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Congrats Bruce nice to see you have your old ride I remember that car fondly.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #356 by WorldChampGramp » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Dr Neal wrote:Congrats Bruce nice to see you have your old ride I remember that car fondly.

Nice to know "The Dr is in" Gramps

Wesman07

Post #357 by Wesman07 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:31 pm

When will the motor with the first Jr head be up and running?
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #358 by WorldChampGramp » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Wesman07 wrote:When will the motor with the first Jr head be up and running?

It will be next year :nod: but hpefully by the last week in January. Can't wait only waiting on the lup stick from Crower. Bruce

usedcarnut

Post #359 by usedcarnut » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Hello, new member, joined just for this thread. I've read over about half the comments on this thread, skimmed the rest. Any updates? It's been almost a month since the last post on this thread.

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Post #360 by wsa111 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Welcome aboard. Very interesting topic. Keep checking in for new posts.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSII dist. MSD-6al & MSD-Blaster 8252 Coil. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #361 by WorldChampGramp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:43 am

usedcarnut wrote:Hello, new member, joined just for this thread. I've read over about half the comments on this thread, skimmed the rest. Any updates? It's been almost a month since the last post on this thread.

wsa111 wrote:Welcome aboard. Very interesting topic. Keep checking in for new posts.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Usedcarnut et.al.

Gramps welcomes you also and predicts you’re quest for Big Six knowledge will be richly rewarded by avid participants on this Forum. My lack of posting in 3-weeks is a valid point and requires a brief explanation.

FOR ALL OUR FORUM Followers: Overall progress on the (3) head development program has been very slow in the past 6-months, due to various circumstances NOT all within my control. Additionally, program directional changes, equipment purchases, development personnel issues, Financial expenditure limitations and my own insistence on quantifiable, quality and goal achieving standards have all played a part. I have never been a “slap together good enough person” which is sound Ford schooled logic especially applicable to motorsports excellence. BUT there is light at the end of our proverbial tunnel.

Junior head is finalized in design and configuration options offered. Several orders have been received are in process and will be shipped to customers upon final assembly and my personal 1-by-1 Q.C. verification. NOTHING will be shipped without my involvement and personal oversight.
Senior head is nearing final flow/design process and should be 100% goal oriented 260 CFM by months end.
Dyno testing of a fresh build (local Customer) Junior head 4BBL 4.9L, is nearing final assembly and optimistically will produce copious amounts of mellow sounds and power with published results posted by yours truly.[size=150]

[size=150]ALL please note: pmuller9, wesman07and I will TRY to answer all PM’s regarding our Development program & products offered. WE cannot be a separate forum resource for general build questions such as ‘which cam should I go with’. In most instances 95% of similar questions have been asked and answered elsewhere on the :help: Ford Six Forum. I strongly suggest using the SEARCH feature provided to narrow down individual parts of your multiple question PM’s some of you have been sending to us.

I intend to see this through!! ALL of you have my personal commitment to that end.

Should be a great New Year the Good “Lord willing and the Creek don’t rise”.

Bruce Sizemore aka "Gramps"
[/size]

sandboxer

Post #362 by sandboxer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks for the update!

I have a burning question that has been in my mind. With all the efi head issues with cracking, how do you see this being circumvented with the wider valves and therefore reduced space between them. I understand that the EQ head has more material available in it, but...
I also understand that these setups won’t be for high mileage use as well.
Thoughts?

pmuller9

Post #363 by pmuller9 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:51 am

sandboxer wrote:Thanks for the update!

I have a burning question that has been in my mind. With all the efi head issues with cracking, how do you see this being circumvented with the wider valves and therefore reduced space between them. I understand that the EQ head has more material available in it, but...
I also understand that these setups won’t be for high mileage use as well.
Thoughts?

The stock head has induction hardened seats where the heat from the exhaust valve directly disipates to the cast iron.
The EQ head comes machined for seat inserts so more material is needed in that area so there is room for the insert cutout.
The exhaust seat itself is less susceptible to failure from heat cycles and does a better job dispersing the heat evenly back to the cast iron.

If a JR or SR head is set up with the proper rocker arm geometry and steel roller rockers and considering there is hardened exhaust valve seats to minimize valve recession, there is no reason why the head on a well maintained street engine won't outlive any other head.

sandboxer

Post #364 by sandboxer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Sounds good. Question answered.
Thank you.

sandboxer

Post #365 by sandboxer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:55 am

One more question. I’m building manifolds using my efi head. I’m assuming that the EQ head has identical port shapes and dimensions to mine. Please verify.
Thanks

pmuller9

Post #366 by pmuller9 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:58 am

The JR EQ head will have the same port shapes as the stock head.

The SR head intake ports will be larger at the sides and top. I do not have the dimensions.
I will see if Bruce has final dimensions.

54-4x4

Post #367 by 54-4x4 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Gramps , pmuller9 and the rest of your crew and other members of this forum,Frenchman etc.,I really do admire the wealth of knowledge and experience you guys bring forth to the public.You guys make me think and are very inspirational.Thank you.

maxtrux
Location: Home is in OK, but currently working in Sacramento, CA

Post #368 by maxtrux » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:19 pm

54-4x4 wrote:Gramps , pmuller9 and the rest of your crew and other members of this forum,Frenchman etc.,I really do admire the wealth of knowledge and experience you guys bring forth to the public.You guys make me think and are very inspirational.Thank you.

I heartily agree and second that. I'll be placing my order in a few weeks, once I'm certain my company isn't going to close my office. My build is going to be the exact parts that Gramps and pmuller have coached me. I met a machinist at my church that has all the tools, and room, to help me with the build so I'm getting excited.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and not belittling anyone for their lack of knowledge(I include myself). :thanks:
68 F100 300 auto; '78 T'bird 28K original miles; '86 F350 5.9 Cummins; '93 Lightning Turbo coming soon; '94 Mark VIII w/nitrous; '98 Ram V6 43K My dad's last truck; '99 Navigator; 2000 Excursion V10; 2011 F350 6.7; 2017 F350 6.7
Reckon my next one should be from the 50s but I do love the early 60s falcon

jjona5

Post #369 by jjona5 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 pm

Did I miss the prices and how to order? Or pre order

pmuller9

Post #370 by pmuller9 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:27 am

jjona5 wrote:Did I miss the prices and how to order? Or pre order

PM "WorldChampGramp"

sandboxer

Post #371 by sandboxer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:12 am

Exciting times.
Pmuller, I consider your port shapes/dimensions for the Sr Head confidential, so I don’t expect you to post them here. It would be useless to me for a manifold unless I knew the exact spacings as well. I’ll wait.
Cheers

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #372 by WorldChampGramp » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:46 pm

54-4x4 wrote:Gramps , pmuller9 and the rest of your crew and other members of this forum,Frenchman etc.,I really do admire the wealth of knowledge and experience you guys bring forth to the public.You guys make me think and are very inspirational.Thank you.

maxtrux wrote:

I heartily agree and second that. I'll be placing my order in a few weeks, once I'm certain my company isn't going to close my office. My build is going to be the exact parts that Gramps and pmuller have coached me. I met a machinist at my church that has all the tools, and room, to help me with the build so I'm getting excited.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and not belittling anyone for their lack of knowledge(I include myself). :thanks:

Its Forum members like both of you that inspire myself and others into going beyond what we would probably even do for ourselves, as there is no room for selfishness in our collective effort. Thank you both for your kind words and a separate special thanks to Maxtrux for being a consistent help to our cause thru our Paypal "chip in" link.

For those of you like Sandboxer in his yesterday post question "Exciting times.
Pmuller, I consider your port shapes/dimensions for the Sr Head confidential, so I don’t expect you to post them here. It would be useless to me for a manifold unless I knew the exact spacings as well. I’ll wait.
Cheers"

Gramps can assure you three and everyone else interested in our 'best of the best' Senior head This [enlarged intake port entry shape] will be rectangular with rather small corner Radiuses’ aka Radii BUT I am working on the possibility of modifing the Mr Gasket and or Fel-Pro 300 performance gaskets as a possible (shipped with the head) option rather than go the more expensive route of getting with the "Cometic" gasket for one-off special run. In both cases the stock ford port to port centerlines will be maintained with little if any offset so that you can easily match your aftermarket intake manifold with hand grinding on a Sunday afternoon, no AM to interfere with church going. I again am in hot pursuit of cost saving bundled machining options, for set up time cost savings and will have finalized revised JR and SR base head pricing, in net week or by my personal last date goal of EOM 1/31.

A closing reminder for those who wish to "chip in" with a program donation the link is

https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq

We had a SIGN over our bosses door in our Ford Performance Events Office that read:
"PERFORMANCE IS OUR MOST IMPORTANT PRODUCT" loved that sign :idea:

Gramps aka Bruce Sizemore :party:

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #373 by WorldChampGramp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 pm

WorldChampGramp wrote:

maxtrux wrote:

Its Forum members like both of you that inspire myself and others into going beyond what we would probably even do for ourselves, as there is no room for selfishness in our collective effort. Thank you both for your kind words and a separate special thanks to Maxtrux for being a consistent help to our cause thru our Paypal "chip in" link.

For those of you like Sandboxer in his yesterday post question "Exciting times.
Cheers"

Gramps can assure you three and everyone else interested in our 'best of the best' Senior head This [enlarged intake port entry shape] will be rectangular with rather small corner Radiuses’ aka Radii BUT I am working on the possibility of modifing the Mr Gasket and or Fel-Pro 300 performance gaskets as a possible (shipped with the head) option rather than go the more expensive route of getting with the "Cometic" gasket for one-off special run. In both cases the stock ford port to port centerlines will be maintained with little if any offset so that you can easily match your aftermarket intake manifold with hand grinding on a Sunday afternoon, no AM to interfere with church going. I again am in hot pursuit of cost saving bundled machining options, for set up time cost savings and will have finalized revised JR and SR base head pricing, in net week or by my personal last date goal of EOM 1/31.
A closing reminder for those who wish to "chip in" with a program donation the link is

We had a SIGN over our bosses door in our Ford Performance Events Office that read:
"PERFORMANCE IS OUR MOST IMPORTANT PRODUCT" loved that sign :idea:

Gramps aka Bruce Sizemore :party:

I will have revised COST Saving Junior head prices by Thursday 1/31 as promised. However the Sr head pricing is NOT yet finalized. Gramps

54-4x4

Post #374 by 54-4x4 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:50 pm

Gramps,have you got any pictures of how you are coming along with the Six in a Row,the Way to Go aluminum head?

pmuller9

Post #375 by pmuller9 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:00 am

The pricing on the JR head has been finalized as promised. OK maybe a few minutes late.
See pricing in the "Buy, Sell or Trade - Big Six" section.

sandboxer

Post #376 by sandboxer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:55 am

That’s a great price. Was there a plan to dyno an engine with this head configuration?

pmuller9

Post #377 by pmuller9 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:57 am

sandboxer wrote:That’s a great price. Was there a plan to dyno an engine with this head configuration?

Yes
We are just waiting to get the custom camshaft so the engine assembly can be completed.
Things always go slower than expected.

mustang68200

Post #378 by mustang68200 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:38 am

Congratulations on such an awesome achievement. 300 fans will be forever in your debt for making a new head and selling it at such a reasonable price. I can’t even imagine all the hard work and dedication that went into this project. I just wanted to say thank you for such a gift to the in-line world. I will definitely be ordering a head for my engine.
1986 f150 302 c6 rwd getting ready to swap in a 300 t5 4x4 drivetrain from 1990s f150 parts truck
Kyle

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #379 by WorldChampGramp » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:02 am

mustang68200 wrote:Congratulations on such an awesome achievement. 300 fans will be forever in your debt for making a new head and selling it at such a reasonable price. I can’t even imagine all the hard work and dedication that went into this project. I just wanted to say thank you for such a gift to the in-line world. I will definitely be ordering a head for my engine.

MUSTANG68200
Thanks for the kind words. Don't get that too often as very few members fully understand the scarifices and financial hurdles I and others have had to endure.

Paul , Wes and a few other forum members have been privy to all the goings on behind the scenes.
There is a great deal of optimism in our "camp" and the end [b]result
of each head type Jr, Sr & X-Flow will please many and astound a few>>> especially the "doubting Thomas's". Keep us in your thoughts and prayers and chip-in when you can via our Pay Pal Link as follows https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq[/b]

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #380 by WorldChampGramp » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Dyno Testing Update:
Yesterday Saturday 2/2 Had a great meeting with my “Pal Al” machinist, dyno operator, engine builder, fabricator etc… and sometimes even operates the flow bench he owns that we did our primary FB work on during most of the early development period last year. As my confident Pmuller9 just stated we are waiting the arrival of our spec’d custom grind Crower Hydraulic camshaft. The question posed by
Sandboxer post# 376 and answered by Paul Muller #377 below:
That’s a great price. Was there a plan to dyno an engine with this head configuration?
Pmuller9 Answer - YES We are just waiting to get the custom camshaft so the engine assembly can be completed. Things always go slower than expected.

Both Al & I agreed yesterday to not only fully Dyno test this in-house customer JR head engine but to simultaneously test and compare a New complete EQ EFI head with no porting, stock valves etc for improvement results that will be empirical NOT guesswork. Using this methodology, although very expensive, will give all of you data you can “hang your hat on” and plan with.

If this prompts you to chip in please do we need every dollar we can gather. :beer: GRAMPS

broncr
VIP Member

Post #381 by broncr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Fortune smiled on me. 'Just sent a deposit.
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

sthorvictor

Post #382 by sthorvictor » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:41 am

Haven’t been on in awhile..Very long read to this point! Riveting material, excited to see the sr head when it’s done and $$$. 260cfm would be terrific! It Was unnerving hogging out a head after slicing another up for comparisons.

Sorry if I missed it but will there be a long Chevy valve version for the guys running modified pushrods and so on or just bare castings? Same goes for stud converted heads from pedestal? Again I’m sorry if I missed the post that contained the info that I’m asking. As I said a long long read! And thank you Gramps and friends!
Best of luck,

Seth

turbocharged maf 300 f150

pmuller9

Post #383 by pmuller9 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:51 am

Seth
Both the JR and SR heads use the 4.910" long Chevy valves.
The SR head is set up for the Chevy 1.94" intake 1.60" exhaust valves so you can use the longer 5.010" valves if needed.
Here is the link for the rest of the info
viewtopic.php?p=614620#p614620

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #384 by WorldChampGramp » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:26 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Seth
Both the JR and SR heads use the 4.910" long Chevy valves.
The SR head is set up for the Chevy 1.94" intake 1.60" exhaust valves so you can use the longer 5.010" valves if needed.
Here is the link for the rest of the info
viewtopic.php?p=614620#p614620

THANKS PAUL: Don't know what Gramps would do without YOU. Program UPDATE>> Third trip this week up to Bradenton Motorsports Park N of Sarasota, working on some of the Ford ppl attending to get us more inside assistance. LOOKING GOOD on all fronts they are all impressed with the enthusiasm from all of you on the Forum but wondering why we haven’t tried the FB route to bolster donations or even the Go Fund Me web site. Yes they do peak and read what is said on the Forum but don’t participate for obvious reasons. Any Forum members that have time and ability to help with above donation alternatives please PM me as the proverbial well is dry. Here's the link in case you forgot Gramps https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq

sandboxer

Post #385 by sandboxer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Hey Gramps
It’s nice to hear from you. I was wondering if you had put the jr head on an engine yet and if so, whether you have any feedback. I know you were waiting on a cam or two before a dyno run...
Thanks
S

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #386 by WorldChampGramp » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:23 am

sandboxer wrote:Hey Gramps
It’s nice to hear from you. I was wondering if you had put the jr head on an engine yet and if so, whether you have any feedback. I know you were waiting on a cam or two before a dyno run...
Thanks
S

Likewise, Sandboxer:Yes Crower cam and valve train have been sourced.
As I write this 3/2/19 the final machining touch is being put on the block which is probably unnecessary but the engines owner "wants it 100% right" and has decided to go the ARP main cap stud route, which necessarily includes line honing. After that final operation AL and I will assemble the engine and prep it for the Dyno. I have purchased a complete EQ efi stock head assembly for direct comparison on the dyno, specifically how much the ported JR head will increase over the un-ported EQ equivalent.
My extensive Ford training comes in handy on numerous fronts, agree? Even our professional RE practice motto gives you a good idea of where Gramps comes from... which is "Results ALWAYS speak louder than words" Our competitors despise it but our customes love it. :thumbup: :beer:

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #387 by bubba22349 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:45 pm

[quote ="WorldChampGramp"] THANKS PAUL: Don't know what Gramps would do without YOU. Program UPDATE>> Third trip this week up to Bradenton Motorsports Park N of Sarasota, working on some of the Ford ppl attending to get us more inside assistance. LOOKING GOOD on all fronts they are all impressed with the enthusiasm from all of you on the Forum but wondering why we haven’t tried the FB route to bolster donations or even the Go Fund Me web site. Yes they do peak and read what is said on the Forum but don’t participate for obvious reasons. Any Forum members that have time and ability to help with above donation alternatives please PM me as the proverbial well is dry. Here's the link in case you forgot Gramps https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq[/quote]

Hi Gramps, that's interesting! I will add a few things to the wish list if Ford should want to support us,. It would be nice to see some new improved 300 blocks and also the rare 300 SVO version blocks reissued, a fully counter weighted Forged steel or Billet crank would be nice too. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

guhfluh

Post #388 by guhfluh » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:31 pm

For what it's worth, I have shared this thread and info on Facebook in the recent past for those who may be interested there and don't browse forums. There isn't much by the way of Ford 300 performance groups on Facebook though.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #389 by WorldChampGramp » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:57 am

bubba22349 wrote:[quote ="WorldChampGramp"] THANKS PAUL: Don't know what Gramps would do without YOU. Program UPDATE>> Third trip this week up to Bradenton Motorsports Park N of Sarasota, working on some of the Ford ppl attending to get us more inside assistance. LOOKING GOOD on all fronts they are all impressed with the enthusiasm from all of you on the Forum but wondering why we haven’t tried the FB route to bolster donations or even the Go Fund Me web site. Yes they do peak and read what is said on the Forum but don’t participate for obvious reasons. Any Forum members that have time and ability to help with above donation alternatives please PM me as the proverbial well is dry. Here's the link in case you forgot Gramps https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/84uHkZRpXq

Hi Gramps, that's interesting! I will add a few things to the wish list if Ford should want to support us,. It would be nice to see some new improved 300 blocks and also the rare 300 SVO version blocks reissued, a fully counter weighted Forged steel or Billet crank would be nice too. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:[/quote]

Bubba: One more trip to Sarasota Bradenton Motorsports Park this coming Friday. Ford contacts are NOW well informed about my overall intentions and that of our Forum members in general. They are blown away at the continued level of entusiasum in a production inline engine that hasn't seen the assemblly line in 23 years!! Why all the offers to help?? Because I never 'burned any bridges' or bad-mouthed any of my former Ford less than cooperative associates or sometimes refered to as 'necessary evil' prevalent even moreso in todays corporate America. Sorry for the rant. :bang: BACK on TRACK.

Since the Jr u-flow head is completed , in permanent final port and chamber configuration, with documented #'s available for ALL to see; MY COMPLETE FOCUS is now on the Senior ass kicking higher Max-Flow counterpart. The Ford contacts have suggested I (WE) strongly consider only offering this more complicated and precise Senior Head in FULL CNC format. This will take some doing, additional development time and resources, something I personally would have a severe migraine from if I try to tackle SOLO. What are old friends and x-Ford racers for? Jummping in with all "feet" to save our effort in the 100% fool-proof way. So there is the GOOD NEWS. Lot's of planning, more Development Funding, air travel and out of town business trips for GRAMPS but what else would you expect but a Max-Effort from this Old Worldchamp. Stay tuned and visit the piggy bank if you can this is really exciting :idea: . :beer: :wow: :help: $$$ and Pray for my sanity. :D :thumbup: :party:

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #390 by WorldChampGramp » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:07 am

guhfluh wrote:For what it's worth, I have shared this thread and info on Facebook in the recent past for those who may be interested there and don't browse forums. There isn't much by the way of Ford 300 performance groups on Facebook though.

Guhfluh: Thank you that was just the kind of extra effort I needed from someone and you stepped up to the plate. For anyone else who wants to expand our presence among those who have recently "Be-Friended" on FB nothing hidden here you can easily find me on FB by using my full name Bruce Sizemore.

pmuller9

Post #391 by pmuller9 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:54 am

Block being prepped for assembly.
Dyno run with JR head and stock head comparison.
Click on photo for Video

pmuller9

Post #392 by pmuller9 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:28 am

Gramps is happy to report that our FIRST customer Dyno engine with the Jr ported head soon to make noise and be compared to a recently purchased complete stock EQ efi head. As AL (Machinist in pic) readies the final components this is a long awaited plus for the entire program. I will release full specs on the engine so those of you who want to duplicate this assembly, with our purchased JR HEAD and your components>> know what to expect. Close up photos of the oil pump modifications you will have to acomplish [if you go the Main Stud route] will follow. We could really use more help now as just the direct EQ head comparisson is a $700 exercise BUT that doesnt even include the extra dyno & assembly/re-assembly expenses. Here is the link for your consideration. Be happy with us. Warmest personal regards to ALL. Bruce Sizemore Sr

broncr
VIP Member

Post #393 by broncr » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Given the anticipated wait, I'm leaning towards putting my current engine back together and in, breaking in the new cam with the same 390 carb, then converting to Sniper TBFI, then having it dyno'd, and just drive it for a month or whatever.

Then swap the Jr on when it gets here, and go back to the Dyno shop for the head swap comparison. The current head is a moderately dressed '82-'83 carb'd.

Anyone with Dyno shop recommendations in the Denver Metro, please feel free to share. Cost will likely be a limiting factor.
'82 FSP Bronco. Just about every mod ever mentioned. ( Too much to list - or remember...)

pmuller9

Post #394 by pmuller9 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 pm

broncr wrote:
Then swap the Jr on when it gets here, and go back to the Dyno shop for the head swap comparison. The current head is a moderately dressed '82-'83 carb'd.

Don't forget that the JR head has at least 10cc less chamber volume than the Carburetor head.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #395 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am

broncr wrote:Given the anticipated wait, I'm leaning towards putting my current engine back together and in, breaking in the new cam with the same 390 carb, then converting to Sniper TBFI, then having it dyno'd, and just drive it for a month or whatever.

Anyone with Dyno shop recommendations in the Denver Metro, please feel free to share. Cost will likely be a limiting factor.

Try to negotiate time to optimize jetting at WOT and also optimize timing at WOT. Remember to use knock-free fuel and then be cognizant of the potential for knocking on your post-dyno road checks and adjust total advance as necessary.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

broncr
VIP Member

Post #396 by broncr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:27 pm

I ran a primitive form of water/meth "injection" in the past.

This time I'm going to be running modern high pressure water misting injection. I'm not overly concerned with more compression, detonation or knock.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #397 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Water/meth injection works great.
Until it doesn't.
I'd maybe run a dyno test both ways and have a fall-back schedule baked into your software.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

guhfluh

Post #398 by guhfluh » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Many have mentioned cost and how it's so expensive, blah blah blah.

I just ran across an example or "comparison" of what you pay for porting a FORD 240/300 head WITHOUT THE HEAD factored into the price. YOU HAVE TO SUPPLY THE HEAD. Assembled with springs, retainers, guides, valves, PC seals and screw in studs: $1350. Just the machine work and NO PARTS: $1000. Price a NEW Engine Quest 300 cylinder head on your own, they aren't cheap.

I'd supply the link, but don't want to upset people. You can easily Google it.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #399 by WorldChampGramp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:32 am

guhfluh wrote:Many have mentioned cost and how it's so expensive, blah blah blah.

I just ran across an example or "comparison" of what you pay for porting a FORD 240/300 head WITHOUT THE HEAD factored into the price. YOU HAVE TO SUPPLY THE HEAD. Assembled with springs, retainers, guides, valves, PC seals and screw in studs: $1350. Just the machine work and NO PARTS: $1000. Price a NEW Engine Quest 300 cylinder head on your own, they aren't cheap.

I'd supply the link, but don't want to upset people. You can easily Google it.

:nod: :wow: Great Stuff GuhFluh: Looks like Gramps Jr & Sr heads will be "the only game in town". Dyno results will prove their worth. Just pray that Gramps stays out of the "loony Bin" at least until the project is completed. Of course wife is ready to commit me tomorrow; this has put a serious dent in the number of requisite honey-do’s I have been able to accomplish. Last quip, I get a chance to use one of my favorite $5 words “sticktoitiveness” . Gramps definition>>never, never, never give up. Bruce Sizemore Worldchamp Gramp.

jason832

Post #400 by jason832 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 am

I think the price of the heads are very good. We only have to buy one head for the 300. Look at the price for a pair if medeocre 460 heads for example. Going fast just isn't cheap.

Return to “240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance”