Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Permanent 300 Six Cyl Head CFM solutions- A Work in Progress

Moderator: Mod Squad

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Re: Permanent 300 Six Cyl Head CFM solutions- A Work in Progress

Post #451 by WorldChampGramp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 pm

sandboxer wrote:
WorldChampGramp wrote:Its Gramps travel weary since my last post (seems like months ago with 5K plus in road miles to my credit). Slow but sure is my best update on the 3-head projects. Yes I could start banging out heads fairly soon, but I want to give you the utmost in both JR and SR versions. You deserve something unique for your patients and loyalty in trusting me at my word. the overall plan now is to only offer heads that are difficult to duplicate (unless you have access to a 4 or 5 axis machining center), then you need to find digital scanning equip like the "Big Boys" use, convert the scan to code that matches your machining center, etc etc. In my travels I even visited the Roush facility to discuss my projects with a few friends there in "high Places" [what an eye opener]. enjoy your summer Gramps will be BZ so information will be sparse. Bless you all. Bruce Sizemore :thumbup:

That sounds wonderful. Before you depart on your engineering adventure, are there any updates on dyno results from what you’ve done thus far.
Many thanks[/quote
]

Sandboxer- Wish I could say here are the results but Dyno work hasn't started yet on JR headed CUSTOMER motor. Even though the engine is only a few hours away from completion and making noise, the engines owner is in no hurry and AL (our Machinist, Dyno Guru) and the key player in all this has other things on his plate that take priority which I can't and won't go into. Bruce

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #452 by WorldChampGramp » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:31 am

Gramps is still at it, if I could clone myself several times and send my ‘representatives’ in various FLORIDA directions>>> Finalized, consistent and exceptional JR & SR heads would be available for distribution. Being the Lone Ranger is good & bad, in that I have no one to blame but myself if things go poorly and the ultimate high one gets when the goals are met. Keep the faith. Bruce Sizemore aka Gramps :bang: :idea: :arrow: :checks:

JakeStroganoff

Post #453 by JakeStroganoff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 am

Just wanted to chime in and say I am interested in purchasing one of these heads when they are available.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #454 by WorldChampGramp » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:04 pm

JakeStroganoff wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say I am interested in purchasing one of these heads when they are available.

Jake: Thanks for your interest and stay tuned for slow but sure progress updates. Shoot me a PM with which head you are thinking about JR, SR or Aluminum Cross-Flow aka BS X-Flow. Bruce

Laporte 14

Post #455 by Laporte 14 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi new here but have been following this thread as I currently have a cammed up bored out 300 with 240 head and headers and exhaust but looking to buy after market head are these available yet

Luke Bronstein

Post #456 by Luke Bronstein » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:41 pm

I am really interested in the aluminum crossflow and either the JR/SR head.

54-4x4

Post #457 by 54-4x4 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Luke, nice that you joined the ranks.We are not that far apart.

Pathines

Post #458 by Pathines » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:42 pm

I like this thread, quite a lot. Keep it coming, please.
'93 F-150, 4.9L, 5-speed, stock, lots of miles

F-250 Restorer

Post #459 by F-250 Restorer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Is there a link to where I can check the flow results and the prices for the diff. heads?

guhfluh

Post #460 by guhfluh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 pm

F-250 Restorer wrote:Is there a link to where I can check the flow results and the prices for the diff. heads?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77978
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #461 by xctasy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:22 am

worken2much wrote:Gramps,

I applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work.

As has been noted on the forum in the past, the cylinder head is the first road block that you bang into when wanting to make big Hp numbers with the 300. Once that has been dealt with, the block & crank soon follow. Any plans there?

Thanks,
Worken2much

Carbs and EFi is what you need now, the heads are just the start.

Bruce, please PM me with a phone in time that suits you. I need to be informef about a good tip off on a 100% US system you might find beneficial for Prep H. You or pmuller9.

Love the photos with you and Al Turner, Bruce. Your my new hero.

Your 05 26 2019 10:16 pm post on FTE...Mazeltov.

Kiwi Dean Looked after and taught by three members of 6RAR. Mr M.Turnock, Mr K.Connors, and Kiwi Malcom. Never forget how much others appreciate selfless Service.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

pmuller9

Post #462 by pmuller9 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:32 pm

F-250 Restorer wrote:Is there a link to where I can check the flow results and the prices for the diff. heads?

Prices:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1539 ... st18454046

Flow Notes:
Stock:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/atta ... 1543294563

JR and SR
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/atta ... 1543294309

Luke Bronstein

Post #463 by Luke Bronstein » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm

54-4x4 wrote:Luke, nice that you joined the ranks.We are not that far apart.

I see that. Will you be purchasing a head?

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #464 by WorldChampGramp » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:39 pm

xctasy wrote:
worken2much wrote:Gramps,

I applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work.

As has been noted on the forum in the past, the cylinder head is the first road block that you bang into when wanting to make big Hp numbers with the 300. Once that has been dealt with, the block & crank soon follow. Any plans there?

Thanks,
Worken2much

Carbs and EFi is what you need now, the heads are just the start.

Bruce, please PM me with a phone in time that suits you. I need to be informef about a good tip off on a 100% US system you might find beneficial for Prep H. You or pmuller9.

Love the photos with you and Al Turner, Bruce. Your my new hero.

Your 05 26 2019 10:16 pm post on FTE...Mazeltov.

Kiwi Dean Looked after and taught by three members of 6RAR. Mr M.Turnock, Mr K.Connors, and Kiwi Malcom. Never forget how much others appreciate selfless Service.

XCTASY: Nice to hear from a true "down under" well versed motorsports professional. Please check your inbox as I am looking forward to a mutually beneficial chat. Cheers Gramps aka Bruce Sizemore Sr.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #465 by xctasy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:10 pm

WorldChampGramp wrote:XCTASY: Nice to hear from a true "down under" well versed motorsports professional. Please check your inbox as I am looking forward to a mutually beneficial chat. Cheers Gramps aka Bruce Sizemore Sr.

I'll email/pm later in the day. I have to re login to my email account.

Lot 6 for Eva....

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #466 by xctasy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:20 am

Revised

There is always a table in Australia for the Great Man.

https://youtu.be/HEcInDT7ufA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... EcInDT7ufA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEcInDT7ufA

@ 18:30-18:45 & 23:50
Al Turner at his best.:-)

Lot 6 was a factory Skunk Works, which was 100% focused and committed to total performance, total excellence. Al Tuner Lead it, Fed it, and then ensured Howard Marsden and Allan Moffat and others finished what they started. Edsel B. Ford II allowed things to continue wothout working against the chain of Command.

And, Always, it was AT that owned and fronted up to his work. His drag racering loving blue blood took the oxygen that made the blood red Falcons continued showroom spec race winners from 1969 to 1972, and the Big O at the drags, and the Coca Cola Mustang and Super Sedan GTHO in Super Sedans. Anyone who has tried to master a canted valve V8 with a thin wall Bill Gay high voids block and still make it win 500 mile races is an absolute assett for ever to FoMoCo.

While wheels, tires, engines, geaboxes, diffs and carbs were making engines fail, Al Tuner gave birth to:-

Greatest steel wheels ever (12 slots),
Greatest tires (GoodYear),
best engines (Windsor and Cleveland foundary!),
best transmissions (Top Loader 4 speeds),
best axles (9 inchers) and best brakes (Kelsey Hayes)
best carburettion (Holley)
best ignition (Autolite when Ford owned)

The late Jacque Passino wanted to do an injected In line six.

But you know, its a Motor Company, and you have to work together. Ford did it all, even after the World Wide pull out from the Total Performance ideal.

Lot 6 for ever.

Dancing Knitting Needle Tech.

Route 66...add another 66 cubes with pushrod wedge head in line sixes.
Last edited by xctasy on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #467 by WorldChampGramp » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:17 pm

xctasy wrote:https://youtu.be/HEcInDT7ufA

Al Turner at his best.:-)

XCTASY: I will contact AL and make sure he gets to click on this URL. Thanks that extra effort means a lot to this "aging juvenile". Here is a pic out of my archives did you happen to meet any of my Ford colleagues pictured here? WCG :NZ:
SPECIAL VEHICLES GANG (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #468 by xctasy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Not me. None of the above. Except through some chat room involvment with EECIV.

Ive followed you all from afar.

First, Al Turner, who had the rug pulled from under him by the huge challenges of 1971. But he left with his head held high, a winner, and others walked in his steps.

My Ford influence was just with the service side, which I think Ford did really well considering the changes that happened in the whole component industry. Untill you've had to fight an influx of low cost cars tearing shreads out of your market share, you don't know how hard it is.

I'm 49 years old. When 15 in 1985, I was a laborer at my dads workshop at a local uliity company. My workshop manager was ex Napier Motors Dunedin New Zealand, a Ford service techncian. He told me about how smart Ford was, and how the whole motor car was becoming a 100% electronic device controlling the critical systems, and that he was here because Ford was going to have to move through another mainstreaming clean out, and it wasn't gonna be easy. He left not because he couldn't be an ace Ford techncian, but because he had access to all his old mates at FoMoCo, plus electronic and electrical service techncians, and just like Henry Ford...he wanted to build power stations and serve those that used Fords. Otago Central Electric Power Boards Scott Base at Boundary Road made every water power station in Otago except the Clyde dam and the Maniotota Irrigation Scheme. They made threaded rods, bronze parts, and operated General Electric and NEC control systems equipment, and serviced it at 5500 feet with two wheel drive XY and XC Falcon two door pickups with uni bodies and swash plates to control wheel slip in mud.

Alan Ireland taught me Ford Respect. He said that to build a 20000 part car, and sell and keep it serviced, you needed Whiz Kids and logistics experts, and a hot line to people who raced the cars. Those people, you partner with for life and dont ever rat out. He told me about EECIV, and how it managed things, and how easy it was gonna be to make Fords with Mazda parts, or shared power trains, and that if I wanted to, there was a place here for me. He told me about all the good books, Jay Storers Propane Peformance that profiled Ak Miller, and the Impco manual, that showed how vital it was to first understand Fords systems as far as possible before modification. Since all we did was put propane kits on cars, he taught me Ford Respect 1st.

My Grandad was a Ford guy, and my uncle and Dad too. They all said, Boy, it's all good if you wanna be a mechanic, but people who were mechanics in 1970 are still machanics in 1985, so set your goals higher. Be a Technician or engineer, and move on up. Don't just do obscure work, but hang out with the whole team and diversify.

I went crazy reading everything automotive, and did Land Surveying and Civil Engineering, and kept away from motorsport, because I chased other objects instead of cars...and got married at 20 to an 18 y/o. Military guys, consulting technicians and engineers taught me never to sh!+ on the bill payer, never rat out your team. Understand that, and respond to the needs. I time kept for the MANZ Otago Sports Car Rallyes for 10 years, my only Ford associations were with the Ford Driving School (Mr Cooper and his wife) and Mr Mortimer from Mortimer Ford Oamaru and all the guys from Dunedin City Ford. Laurie, Brian and Ive kept away from the drag racing and the circuit because Ive been a private company since 2005, and dont want to hurt my insurance premiums. Ive been involved with many Ford guys through my work with WSP Opus, Downer and Fulton Hogan, and although most of my friends are not Ford guys, I dont do anything but Ford. GM, Toyota and Nissan in line sixes suck, and I love pushrod in line engines, and youve got a market with every OHV Pushrod engine making another 66 cubes of capacity.

I had a heck of a job getting all my Lot 6 stuff posted...I was gonna email it personally, but Im posting it here for all to see.

Where this all fits in is this:

FoMoCo and its contractors are in a position to supply risk included stationary and OEM replacement 309 to 344 cubic inch emissions legal in line sixes, the 240/300/4.9 liter Ford Big Six is a tall deck improvement on the same bore spacing 215/245/265 Hemi D series Australian Valiant six, without timing chain issues, and the too small main and crank bearings. The Big Six is essentially a better than D series block with a head that just needs so Team 6 Spirit applied to its port profiles. The cam strength issues for big roller cams can be overcome.

The FrenchTown Flyer and yourself only know if a reduced 9.36" deck, siamesed cylinder block with 4.125" potential deck size would hit the market demographic.

You have the heads; no one else will get into your market WCG, because they don't understand how much torque and power a really good six makes. I think maybee Allan Moffat might. Back in 1972, his 350 hp 351C Falcon GTHO got its butt spanked by New Zealand 295 hp net Chrylser 265 Hemis in our race tracks. For an engine with a poorer weight to power ratio to clean up a big V8, especially one I love and respect like the US built 4V Canted Valve 351C, well it tells me your right on the aces.

Both Fords Big Six engines (4.48" bore spacings) and the popular 1969 to 1982 Hemi six in line Aussie engines share the similar 4.46" 1958 Polyspheric and LA bore spacings....the newer Mopar 5.7/6.2 Hemi V8 uses as wellas the Viper V10. So everything is super close. Canted valve engines suffer incipient detonation, and rough combustion compared to a classic wedge head, and your decision to make it with the stock non canted valve systems is a really good one for making sure every cfm is a solid gold horsepower. I'm not going to go on, just tick your good choices. I'm probably the only guy who has logged engine knock on a canted valve alloy head engine verses an iron wedge head using a Ford knock sensor with the same advance curve and carburation on the same engine.

The AMC Jeep in line six shares Ford Y block and Windsor/Cleveland bore centers at 4.375". So the 240/300/4.9 has all the right potential.

Your three headed response sure lookes like a great option.

Down here, I have can custom tool up a low deck block for 1.16" compression height pistons with 4.06 to 4.125 bores and a Mopar D- series height block with about half an inch taken off the block. An engine like that could fit under the hood of any Fox platform or Australian Ford, and it would outperform the 243 cubic inch SOHC/DOHC Ford engines as well as being stronger.

Down here we have some green sands and grey iron capacity since the closing down of our railway casting plant, and it looks like any one of those heads would work in a 4.06 by 3.98 stroke shallow deck engine.

“If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” https://www.fordgtholot6.com/history

note

Last edited by xctasy on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guhfluh

Post #469 by guhfluh » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Monthly thread bump...
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

arse_sidewards

Post #470 by arse_sidewards » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 pm

At this rate maybe the welded LS head will show up right around the same time as my 2020 tax return :lol:
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #471 by WorldChampGramp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:26 pm

arse_sidewards wrote:At this rate maybe the welded LS head will show up right around the same time as my 2020 tax return :lol:

Thank you 'sideways' > now I can relax a little with time to spare. WCG :NZ: might even squeeze in a trip down under.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #472 by WorldChampGramp » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:22 am

BACK ON TRACK Latest Devlopments from WCG (WorldChampGramp):

Have a new shop to work with located an hour away from my home (Ft Myers) straight up I-75 in Sarasota, FL. The owner is a Machinist and 'Ford Nut', his tenant is a welder specializing in ALUMINUM. Last bit of better news, a long lost friend and crew member from my NHRA Glory days arrives in Sarasota this week starting His [find a suitable permanent FL residence] search. What a shocker :shock: when he called out of the blue and offered to help me with my multiple projects. Small World. Bruce Sizemore aka Gramps

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #473 by xctasy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:32 am

Everyone is looking out for you Mr S.

Due exclusively to a lot of US, Australian, Kiwi and French Ford support workdwide, a silhouette formula 302 TransAm engined 2019 Ford Mustang won a 600 mile endurance race down here in Australia today, and there was a 50 th Celebration for the begining of Big Als Australasian Windsor, Cleveland, Cologne, Essex and Cosworth engine efforts from 1969 to 1983.

Going Ford is still the going thing....your in line six stuff is what the world needs now. The F truck and X and Fox S cars are the ultimate econo cars, and errir of Mr G's low iron thinwall blocks have created a need for simple strong in line Ford sixes. You are the new Ak Miller, a performance Ambassador.

happyranger

Post #474 by happyranger » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:43 am

I'm restoring a 78 F250 and one of the plans is to run it on CNG, would the JR or SR head be suitable for this? The end goal is to have a daily driver that can haul firewood or atvs.

pmuller9

Post #475 by pmuller9 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:33 am

happyranger wrote:I'm restoring a 78 F250 and one of the plans is to run it on CNG, would the JR or SR head be suitable for this? The end goal is to have a daily driver that can haul firewood or atvs.

Is the engine going to be dedicated to running on CNG only without any consideration to running on pump gas?
I'm assuming port injection?

Wesman07

Post #476 by Wesman07 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Interesting topic. What’s are the needs of both set ups?
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

happyranger

Post #477 by happyranger » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:50 pm

For a simple answer to avoid hijacking this thread, I will say bi-fuel port injected.

arse_sidewards

Post #478 by arse_sidewards » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Wesman07 wrote:Interesting topic. What’s are the needs of both set ups?

They prefer vastly different compression ratios. There's other small differences (timing, fuel/air ratio) but compression is the one that can't be changed on the fly.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

Wesman07

Post #479 by Wesman07 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 pm

How about valve seats and valve material?
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

pmuller9

Post #480 by pmuller9 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Deleted
Last edited by pmuller9 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jason832

Post #481 by jason832 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Great to hear about more progress on the project. Any time estimates on when heads will start heading out?

pmuller9

Post #482 by pmuller9 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:13 pm

happyranger wrote:For a simple answer to avoid hijacking this thread, I will say bi-fuel port injected.

If it was a dedicated CNG engine then the JR head would have been needed to get a high enough compression ratio. (Around 12:1)
Since it will be dual fuel setup the compression ratio will need to be around 8.8 if 87 octane pump gas is to be used making the JR head optional.
A hard exhaust valve seat insert and a Stellite exhaust valve will be needed since there is no cushioning with CNG.

The JR head has hardened exhaust seats but will need the to be ordered with a Stellite valve.
The JR head will provide more overall torque than the stock 78 head and the power band can be extended well beyond the stock head's limit.
The JR head has the 3 extra bolt holes for the EFI exhaust manifolds.

Since the cam you will be using will be moderate you can use the stock pedestal mount rockers or increase valve lift using the Scorpion roller rockers on the JR head.

The 78 head has non adjustable rocker studs that should be replaced and would need exhaust valve inserts installed along with Stellite valves. You would have to do your own port work. Choice of stock rockers or Harland Sharp rollers.

This is an interesting project.
Would you be willing to start a new thread to share your engine build?

happyranger

Post #483 by happyranger » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:55 pm

The engine I have for this build is an from 89 F150. I use 89 octane without ethanol in everything I drive, I have found a marginal improvement over the cheap E10 87 in the older vehicles I drive. So I would plan on a slightly higher static CR (9ish).
I talked with the tech at SI valves and was told stainless valves are fine since the alloys have improved over the years. I have a CNG compressor at my home so it is cheap for me to refuel on CNG, but I want gasoline as a backup for when I travel.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member

Post #484 by WorldChampGramp » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:13 am

jason832 wrote:Great to hear about more progress on the project. Any time estimates on when heads will start heading out?

Can't make any predictions about timing for final sign off of the two u-flow heads. At least NOW you have only me to blame for any delays, hiccups, production shortfalls etc as I am the proverbial "Chief Cook & Bottle Washer". Flow bench is back in my posession and in the process of being updated to repeatable functionality, with consistent verified calibration techniques. There is no room for error in anything performance automotive I have have ever attempted and I won't settle for anything less EVER. Those who know me understand my dedication to excellence; I don't expect many forum members to understand this Sizemore pledge nor do I expect it. :checks: WCG

Return to “240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance”