Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Fly wheel weight

Moderator: Mod Squad

Wesman07

Fly wheel weight

Post #1 by Wesman07 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm

This might be a silly post, but I’m curious...

There are quite a few people coming here looking to increase bottom end power. The go to solution is always advancing the cam. Pmuller9 ran some numbers on his engine simulator and noted that there is enough port velocity for complete cylinder fill.... making advancing the cam unnecessary.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75105&p=578008&hilit=Will+not+make+the+statement+that+advancing+the+cam#p578008

So it has me wondering.... why not add flywheel weight? Most people looking for more bottom end power are using their motor for things like hay haulers. An increased rotating mass would really help in getting a load moving. The bigger the mass, the less it wants to change speed.... which would contribute to a very “strong” idle.

Was this an option for the HD or industrial motors?

Can the crank/main bearing handle more flywheel?
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

pmuller9

Re: Fly wheel weight

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:13 pm

TTT
Last edited by pmuller9 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonebreaker

Post #3 by Stonebreaker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:28 pm

I don't think adding flywheel weight is going to get you much for the effort. All you're doing is storing a small amount of energy to get you moving in the first six inches. After you come off idle, more weight on the flywheel becomes an energy drag as you accelerate.

A more effective strategy is to remove as many restrictions as possible from your intake and exhaust, and make the intake air as cool as possible.

Vintage Inlines sells a cold air induction kit for this motor. I would go farther and build a duct to allow the engine to take in air from in front of the radiator.

Paint the inside of your intake manifold with epoxy - something like this stuff.

Remove all the restrictions you can from the exhaust. Put a high flow cat in there if you need a cat where you live, or just remove it altogether; and add a low restriction muffler or two as well.

I used to be a serious bracket racer and kept records of all my drag strip runs (over a thousand runs total), including the density altitude of every run. I never used the ice trick while drag racing since consistency is more important than speed in bracket racing, but I tried the epoxy trick and painted the inside of my intake with epoxy. Even with a cold air intake, headers and a free flowing exhaust, I still picked up 2 tenths of a second and 2 mph over the unpainted manifold, in identical density altitude conditions. 2 tenths of a second and 2 mph is around 20 horsepower. Just by painting the inside of my intake manifold.

Because of the U nature of these heads, I suspect the epoxy trick would be even more effective on these motors than on a V8.

For that matter, putting a ceramic coating on the exhaust manifold, and/or wrapping it, would also be worthwhile. Also adding epoxy to the outside of the intake manifold where it is close to the exhaust.

Stonebreaker

Wesman07

Post #4 by Wesman07 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:01 pm

I’m not looking for a solution myself. I’m just wondering if this was a change on the HD and industrial motors.
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

Lunatic Fringe

Post #5 by Lunatic Fringe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 am

Flywheel from the combine motor I tore down weighs 45lbs.

arse_sidewards

Post #6 by arse_sidewards » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am

Wesman07 wrote:I’m not looking for a solution myself. I’m just wondering if this was a change on the HD and industrial motors.

Putting a massive flywheel on the HD and industrial motors is mostly to make them more operator friendly and harder to stall.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.