Weekend engine swap questions

Moderator: Mod Squad

carbortator79

Weekend engine swap questions

Post #1 by carbortator79 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:31 am

So, I've got a 74 F100, 240 with a 3.03 manual. The engine has a dead miss and lots of blow by, cylinder 4 has almost no compression. Seems to be all original besides normal maintenance. I just pulled a junkyard 1990 4.9 from an F150, and stripped it down to a long block. I'm scouring the internet looking for all the information I can find about swapping the engine into my 74 and keeping it stock. I'd like to keep the points ignition, V belts, log manifolds, Carter 1bbl, steel gears, everything. Not looking for performance or towing capability or economy, just a average driver for hauling around random junk I find now and then. I want to stick with simplicity, no EFI or duraspark mods. There's a couple things I need advice on.

The biggest limiting factor I have is time. I cant leave the truck not running for more than a couple days, thanks to a few neighbors that aren't as happy with my vehicles as I am. :bang:

My original plan was to put the 4.9 on a stand, pull the pan and valve cover, drill out the fuel pump boss to use a mechanical pump, pull the balancer and timing cover, swap a steel cam gear on (Hopefully avoiding pulling the cam, but if I need to I will). Reinstall pan and timing cover/balancer. Pull the fast burn EFI head, drop the 240 head on (With no time to check flatness or for cracks, or get it decked at shop), reinstall the 4.9 pushrods, adjust valves, and done. Then its just small stuff like water pump, distributor, ect.

I've been getting more and more worried about swapping the head without checking anything though. I'd hate to have to pull it apart again in 2 months with a bad head gasket.

My plan B is to just leave the head on the 4.9 Alone, drill the fuel pump boss, Drop in the 240 distributor, heads and manifolds, and call it done. I've read about the issues with pinging since the fast burn heads require less timing advance. I feel pretty confident recurving the distributor, but haven't found much info on what springs to try or where to even find a kit for my distributor. Do they make universal spring kits? Everything seems to be for this MSD or that HEI. The 4.9 I found doesn't have the AIR injection holes in the head so that simplifies things.

I'm leaning towards plan B, but I'm open to suggestions. Has anyone else done a quickie junkyard buildup of one of these motors?

The only other big question I have: How easy is it to install the clutch without an alignment tool? I've done Pull-style clutches on big-rigs a handful of times and just rotated the output shaft of the trans while stabbing it in the get the disks and plates to line up, but I've never touched a light duty truck push-style clutch.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Re: Weekend engine swap questions

Post #2 by Lazy JW » Tue May 01, 2018 6:09 pm

carbortator79 wrote:...

My plan B is to just leave the head on the 4.9 Alone, drill the fuel pump boss, Drop in the 240 distributor, heads and manifolds, and call it done...

Use Plan B

carbortator79 wrote:...
The only other big question I have: How easy is it to install the clutch without an alignment tool? ...
Alex

I have installed them just by eye-balling it to make sure it is centered.
Have fun!
Joe
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

BigBlue94

Post #3 by BigBlue94 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:53 pm

Plan B sounds safer.

Then build the 240 head for a swap later if you want.

You could use a piece of 1" pvc pipe to get the clutch aligned closely.
1985 Bronco. 300-6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. 300 has a 4bbl and headers.

carbortator79

Post #4 by carbortator79 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Going with Plan B. Im halfway through the swap now, so far everything has gone well, but behind schedule. The old 240 is out and all the parts I need are off. But I now have a fairly big problem. I pulled the pan and found the eccentric for the mechanical fuel pump is on the camshaft but not polished, its just a rough casting.... Im actually considering sitting down for an hour or two and polishing with sandpaper and emory cloth while its still inside the engine. I could pull the cam and lifters from the 240 assuming its in usable shape right? But that opens a can of worms with pushrod lengths and other issues I assume.

One other thing, will the 1990 F150 oil pan fit in the 1974 F100, or willI have to use the pan from the F100? I havent measured yet if it will clear the crossmemeber and tie rod, but the sump looks more in the middle on the 74, where the 1990 is towards the rear.

Thanks,
-Alex

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:01 am

carbortator79 wrote:Going with Plan B. Im halfway through the swap now, so far everything has gone well, but behind schedule. The old 240 is out and all the parts I need are off. But I now have a fairly big problem. I pulled the pan and found the eccentric for the mechanical fuel pump is on the camshaft but not polished, its just a rough casting.... Im actually considering sitting down for an hour or two and polishing with sandpaper and emory cloth while its still inside the engine. I could pull the cam and lifters from the 240 assuming its in usable shape right? But that opens a can of worms with pushrod lengths and other issues I assume.

One other thing, will the 1990 F150 oil pan fit in the 1974 F100, or willI have to use the pan from the F100? I havent measured yet if it will clear the crossmemeber and tie rod, but the sump looks more in the middle on the 74, where the 1990 is towards the rear.

Thanks,
-Alex

Tough call to either go for the polishing the cam eccentric though it's certainly is possable with effort it would maybe save you quite a bit of time over changing the cam out. Yes if the 240 cam is still in usable good condistion youwould be able to swap in the cam shaft be sure to keep track so that each lifter goes back on the same cam lobe if you plan to reuse them or you go with a new set of lifters. You would need to also use the matching 240 crank gear unless you have a way to change out the cam / crank gear as a set (press). The 1987 to 1996 oil pans are very different, I don't know for sure if they will fit very well in the 1974 chassis you would need to do a test fit to know. It maybe better just to swap that out to your 240 pan and oil pickup tube. Good luck on the swap :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

carbortator79

Post #6 by carbortator79 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:04 am

I think im going to swap the cam from the 240. Just got the cam and lifters out of the old motor and it seems like its in good enough shape, no obviously destroyed lobes or followers. Will there be any issues with using the pushrods and rocker arms in the 90' motor with this cam and lifters? I know the newer motor has bolts instead of studs holding the rockers down.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

I think you can make that work using the 90 push rods and rocker setup, as far as I know the cams and lifters are the same though all the years of 240 / 300's except for not using the fuel pump lobe on the newer 1987 to 97 EFI engines. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

carbortator79

Post #8 by carbortator79 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:41 pm

I'm behind schedule, but so far everything is going well. The 240 cam and lifters are in the 4.9, the mid-sump oil pickup tube is on, the fuel pump hole is done, and the fiber cam gear is off (Used the drill/tap and bolt type puller method). I solved the dipstick tube problem, The mid sump dipstick hole in the 4.9 is not drilled out on this block, it has the thread-in rear sump dipstick tube setup. I realized I could just keep the rear sump dipstick tube and bend the tube towards the middle of the pan. I'll have to cut the tube down on the outside to get the reading correct but thats no problem.

carbortator79

Post #9 by carbortator79 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the help! The truck is up and running and seems to be doing well. Took a quick drive earlier, it feels like a brand new truck. I need to fix an exhaust leak at the collector and work on it dieseling when I shut ot down, but besides that it's mint.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #10 by bubba22349 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:48 pm

:beer: Congrats on a job well done! :nod: