Lifter kit recomendation

Moderator: Mod Squad

69F100
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Lifter kit recomendation

Post #1 by 69F100 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:01 pm

All -

I have a 1969 240 in a F100. Would like to buy a kit to replace the lifters, due to a "valve float" issue I currently have. I see the kits on Summit,Speedway, Jegs, Etc, but i dont know which one to get. I want to keep the engine stock and dont want a weird idle. Could one of you which replacement kit (lifter, cam, springs etc) would be best? Thanks!!!

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/COMP-Cam ... 24375.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca- ... /make/ford

User avatar
rbohm
Assistant Admin
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #2 by rbohm » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 pm

i like the 268h comp cam kit. you might have a slightly lopey idle but nothing that should cause any issues. i would however add a four barrel carb to the combination, edelbrock makes a nice 500cfm carb.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

69F100
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #3 by 69F100 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:21 pm

rbohm wrote:i like the 268h comp cam kit. you might have a slightly lopey idle but nothing that should cause any issues. i would however add a four barrel carb to the combination, edelbrock makes a nice 500cfm carb.


Thank you for the information. Would the 268 be the closest to stock?

User avatar
rbohm
Assistant Admin
Posts: 5676
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #4 by rbohm » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:05 pm

no the 252 grind will be closer to stock.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention

jason832
Registered User
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 am

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #5 by jason832 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Doesn't sealed or someone make a stock replacement for less than an aftermarket cam on summit?

Don't put a 268 on an engine that doesn't have a carb intake and exhaust at a minimum. I have that cam and its for a moderate and up build.

Maybe buy a mild comp can like mentioned above, comp lifter and the comp metal gears. Valve spring may need to be changed.

Don't weak valve springs cause valve float?

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #6 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:39 am

Usually a stock engine will run out of power well before "valve float" sets in. Do you know the RPM at which valve float occurrs? Maybe you have a broken valve spring - did you check for that? Also, lay a straight edge across the tops of the tips of the valves to see if one or more valves may have severe recession. I would not change the cam without determining if further head reconditioning is needed.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

69F100
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #7 by 69F100 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Usually a stock engine will run out of power well before "valve float" sets in. Do you know the RPM at which valve float occurrs? Maybe you have a broken valve spring - did you check for that? Also, lay a straight edge across the tops of the tips of the valves to see if one or more valves may have severe recession. I would not change the cam without determining if further head reconditioning is needed.



I dont know the exact RPM, (no tac) but it over 2k with very lite throttle. It sounds like a diesel engine clack but with you give it more load it goes away or if you let off the gas it goes away. It seems right about the "sweet spot" of the throttle range.

69F100
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #8 by 69F100 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:28 pm

rbohm wrote:no the 252 grind will be closer to stock.



thanks

69F100
Registered User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #9 by 69F100 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:39 pm

69F100 wrote:
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Usually a stock engine will run out of power well before "valve float" sets in. Do you know the RPM at which valve float occurrs? Maybe you have a broken valve spring - did you check for that? Also, lay a straight edge across the tops of the tips of the valves to see if one or more valves may have severe recession. I would not change the cam without determining if further head reconditioning is needed.



I dont know the exact RPM, (no tac) but it over 2k with very lite throttle. It sounds like a diesel engine clack but with you give it more load it goes away or if you let off the gas it goes away. It seems right about the "sweet spot" of the throttle range.


The engine is strong, no smoke, idles good, has power. I have taken the lash our of the rocker arms and they all seem to be level.

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: Lifter kit recomendation

Post #10 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 pm

You may be using the wrong terms to describe your problem. If the engine actually was in valve float, i.e., the valves are not following what the cam lobe and valve train is dictating in terms of duration and lift, it would behave the same way at any given RPM whether you were on or off the throttle. Does the engine backfire or pop through the intake or exhaust?
It sounds more like some kind of piston noise to me. Maybe a broken piston skirt.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests