Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Power Steering System

Moderator: Mod Squad

1990inline6

Power Steering System

Post #1 by 1990inline6 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey guys,

I am needing/wanting to upgrade the p/s system. I got a 6inch rough country suspension lift with 17's wrapped in 31s. Right now the truck turns fine as long as you give it gas and have some momentum going, but at a dead stand still you have to grab the wheel with both hands hard and turn it.

I know I have a leak and a pretty bad one (refill every few days (5-6)). However I doubt it is leaking from the pump itself, I think it is coming from the gear box. I also think the pump might be going out or need to be upgraded to compensate for the heavier wheels and tires.

What are yall's thoughts? Would converting to rack and pinion be stronger or gear box?

Shorty

Re: Power Steering System

Post #2 by Shorty » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Look up PSC (performance steering components) on summit. They make a hydraulic assist steering system that would fit your truck. Or you could do a web search on modifying the gear box yourself(a re seal kit for the box and drill and tap two holes, add lines and a ram) You could be steering with one finger in no time. Guess what is going to be the next mod I make to my truck now that you got me thinking?
85 F150 on 78 bronco frame C6 np205 welded dana44 front, trussed posi nine inch rear. EFI exhaust manifolds into one 2 1/2" rolls on 35x12.5x15 Maxxis Trepador.

arse_sidewards

Post #3 by arse_sidewards » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 am

1990inline6 wrote:Hey guys,

I am needing/wanting to upgrade the p/s system. I got a 6inch rough country suspension lift with 17's wrapped in 31s. Right now the truck turns fine as long as you give it gas and have some momentum going, but at a dead stand still you have to grab the wheel with both hands hard and turn it.

I know I have a leak and a pretty bad one (refill every few days (5-6)). However I doubt it is leaking from the pump itself, I think it is coming from the gear box. I also think the pump might be going out or need to be upgraded to compensate for the heavier wheels and tires.

What are yall's thoughts? Would converting to rack and pinion be stronger or gear box?

Have you looked for the source of the leak?

Rack and pinion is a complete and total waste of time. Think about it. How are you going to get proper tie rod geometry with a rack?

The pump nor steering box needs to be upgraded to cope with 31s. Many trucks came stock with about a 31" tire.

TBH this sounds like a pump issue but if you want to use your leak as an excuse to upgrade then get the steering box out of a '99-04 Superduty, newer is better. It's beefier in every way and the piston is much larger so you get much more assist from the fluid. It bolts right in. You might need some different power steering hoses but that's an easy problem to solve once you have the parts in hand. If you want more of an upgrade then save your old box and tap it for hydro assist (do your homework, if you size the cylinder wrong it will break things and/or be sluggish).

To upgrade the pump get the power steering pump and bracket off an E-series with the same engine.

You should really post this on Pirate4x4 (in the newb section if you know what's good for you) since steering and suspension is very much their thing over there and you'll get the advice you need (not the advice you want).
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

Wesman07

Post #4 by Wesman07 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am

X2

Pirate4x4 will have the most info... they are not as softly spoken over there though lol

I put a van motor in my truck, and at the time I had no idea that it came with a Saginaw pump. I will have to say that is a very nice ps pump. It turns 35”x 12.5” tires with ease. I believe they only came on the vans.
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

MechRick

Post #5 by MechRick » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Does the pump whine? Ford pumps use six vanes vs a Saginaw that uses eight. Lose one or two from wear and the pump output drops, along with a noticeable whine.

Check the pressure relief valve under the high pressure line fitting on the pump. It may be bleeding off pressure at idle.
1994 F150, 4.9L/ZF 5 speed, C-Vic police driveshaft
EFI head w/mild port work, 3 angle valve job
1996 long block, stock pistons, ARP rod bolts
Stock cam, aluminum cam gear
Hedman header, full mandrel bent duals, crossover, super turbos
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73244
Bronco II with a 2.3L swap http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863
1988 F250 2x4, 460 ZF 5 speed.

Wesman07

Post #6 by Wesman07 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:35 am

Good info Mechrich, I didn’t know that’s why they whined
In-lines we trust

86 f150 300 efi with advanced stock cam. Np435, Dana 60/ 10.25, 35" BFG's, four link front suspension with 12" travel fox coil overs, custom deaver leaf pack in the rear.

86f250straight6

Post #7 by 86f250straight6 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:51 pm

2 things: A lift kit on a ttb ford with drop brackets will murder your p/s pump in no time. In my experience the drop brackets for the axle pivots soak up alot of the power from the steering as they flex and stetch in a way they were not designed to do. Second, if you have a leak in the system you will get air in the lines as it leaks out and air in a power steering system will make it hard to turn as well.
I'm trying to build a truck that I can't break :bang:

86f250straight6

Post #8 by 86f250straight6 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Also did you use a drop pitman arm when you did the lift? The ttb steering setup will cause the tires to toe in as soon as the lift is installed because it pulls the steering link at a steeper angle. So a drop pitman arm and an alignment is a must have as soon as you lift a ttb ford.

Without the drop pitman arm you can correct the toe in condition by winding out the adjusting sleeves but the power steering still has to push the links at a steeper angle than stock which is alot more work for your poor old and tired p/s pump.
I'm trying to build a truck that I can't break :bang:

BigBlue94

Post #9 by BigBlue94 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Steering gear: Redhead or a 4bolt gear from a similar year f350.

PS Pump: get Saginaw brackets off any e-series van with your motor and belt setup. 302 & 351use the same brackets. Grab the pump cap too.
Buy a new pump. Buy a new high pressure line for your year and engine, but for an econoline. Low pressure line can be normal trans fluid hose. You can also make custom hoses with AN and adapter fittings.

Make sure you have a drop pitman arm, and adjustable ball joint bushings. You want your steering arms as parallel to the TTB arms as possible.

Full size bronco .com has some good info on this type of swap, as well as pirate
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.