Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Clutch Fan Removal W/ Air Chisel

Moderator: Mod Squad

Speedthrills

Clutch Fan Removal W/ Air Chisel

Post #1 by Speedthrills » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:58 pm

I don't know if this belongs here.

I did a search and didn't find it, but maybe it's here somewhere. I thought I'd mention it to maybe help someone in the future.

I don't have the 40mm spanner, thin type open end wrench to remove the fan clutch on my 95 300.

I saw an idea while searching around the web.

I used an air chisel with a stubby bit to shock it loose. It loosened immediately. It then spun off by hand. Marked the nut, but did no damage.

I was a happy camper!

1986F150six

Re: Clutch Fan Removal W/ Air Chisel

Post #2 by 1986F150six » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:19 pm

I have seen that done by hand with a long chisel and hammer.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #3 by woodbutcher » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:32 pm

:hmmm: When reinstalling the fan and clutch,use some antiseize compound on the threads.And as the threads are LEFT HAND,hand tighten only as the rotation of the engine will finish tightening the clutch assy.Makes it much easier if you have to remove it in the future.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

brandoncw

Post #4 by brandoncw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 am

1986F150six wrote:I have seen that done by hand with a long chisel and hammer.
Speedthrills wrote:I don't know if this belongs here.

I did a search and didn't find it, but maybe it's here somewhere. I thought I'd mention it to maybe help someone in the future.

I don't have the 40mm spanner, thin type open end wrench to remove the fan clutch on my 95 300.

I saw an idea while searching around the web.

I used an air chisel with a stubby bit to shock it loose. It loosened immediately. It then spun off by hand. Marked the nut, but did no damage.

I was a happy camper!

I've used both a broken pry bar & a hammer and an air chisel, both worked fine for me. Good tip for the low budget mechanics.
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

arse_sidewards

Post #5 by arse_sidewards » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

The threads are left or right depending on whether you have a water pump for serpentine belt application or a V-belt application. If the pump is for a serpentine belt it will have normal right hand threads. If it's for a v-belt it will have reverse threads. It's really frustrating to find out that you were spinning it the wrong way because you believed the advice of some dumbass who stopped learning new things sometime in the 70s who swore up and down that they were "all" reverse threaded.

woodbutcher wrote::hmmm: When reinstalling the fan and clutch,use some antiseize compound on the threads.And as the threads are LEFT HAND,hand tighten only as the rotation of the engine will finish tightening the clutch assy.Makes it much easier if you have to remove it in the future.

If you use anti-sieze and don't tighten it enough sometimes the fan will spin itself off on shutdown. I keep meaning to make a little bracket that will bolt down using one of the pulley bolts and prevent the fan clutch from loosening but it only happens like once a year so it's a really low priority :lol:
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #6 by woodbutcher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 am

:D Hi AS.So far(knock on wood)I`ve never had that happen.So, now the next time I go out it will. :bang:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".

Otto von Bismarck

MechRick

Post #7 by MechRick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

There are some serp belt water pump drives that are right hand thread. When in doubt, note if the water pump pulley is smooth or grooved. It will be left hand thread if running off the back side of the serp belt (smooth pulley).

I've been removing fans this way for 25 years. Actually have the correct wrenches, but time is money. Care must be taken not to distort the nut, I grab them close to the meaty part of the fan nut to persuade them loose.

Don't spin them all the way back on by hand. Let the engine do it.
1994 F150, 4.9L/ZF 5 speed, C-Vic police driveshaft
EFI head w/mild port work, 3 angle valve job
1996 long block, stock pistons, ARP rod bolts
Stock cam, aluminum cam gear
Hedman header, full mandrel bent duals, crossover, super turbos
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73244
Bronco II with a 2.3L swap http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863
1988 F250 2x4, 460 ZF 5 speed.

Speedthrills

Post #8 by Speedthrills » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 am

If the original fan shroud is still on the vehicle, it usually has the thread direction molded into it.