Replacement fuel injectors

Moderator: Mod Squad

FordThunder

Replacement fuel injectors

Post #1 by FordThunder » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Hey guys,

My 96’ F-150 flooded cylinder #6 with fuel. In fact, it filled the cylinder enough that the starter could not handle the additional load, cracked the starter nose cone. ( replaced starter) After pulling the plugs and cranking the engine fuel flew 20ft out of the cylinder. So, yeah, I’m in the market for some injectors. I’m just going to replace all six since I have pull the upper intake manifold (and of course change fuel filter). The truck runs with a terrible misfire, too much fuel and fouled plug.It’s a work truck, but it’s my truck. Any decent brand injector that doesn’t eat the wallet? Standard motor product looks to be around $25 each. Any experience or advice will be appreciated.

brandoncw

Re: Replacement fuel injectors

Post #2 by brandoncw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 pm

FordThunder wrote:Hey guys,

My 96’ F-150 flooded cylinder #6 with fuel. In fact, it filled the cylinder enough that the starter could not handle the additional load, cracked the starter nose cone. ( replaced starter) After pulling the plugs and cranking the engine fuel flew 20ft out of the cylinder. So, yeah, I’m in the market for some injectors. I’m just going to replace all six since I have pull the upper intake manifold (and of course change fuel filter). The truck runs with a terrible misfire, too much fuel and fouled plug.It’s a work truck, but it’s my truck. Any decent brand injector that doesn’t eat the wallet? Standard motor product looks to be around $25 each. Any experience or advice will be appreciated.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc- ... /make/ford They are a bit more expensive, but seem to be good quality. Reviews state they have more "get up n go" over the stock injectors. just figure out what lbs/hr would be best for your application
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

FordThunder

Post #3 by FordThunder » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:54 am

Hey,

I looked at the Accel injectors (150615) earlier and the cheapest I could find was $262.45. I saw your reply and was like ehh, I can look one more time. eBay, $149.99 sold directly from Holley. Scratch and dent (only cosmetic flaw) free shipping. The deed is done. I’ll let you guys know how they work out. Here’s the truck, if the picture loads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brandoncw

Post #4 by brandoncw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 pm

FordThunder wrote:Hey,

I looked at the Accel injectors (150615) earlier and the cheapest I could find was $262.45. I saw your reply and was like ehh, I can look one more time. eBay, $149.99 sold directly from Holley. Scratch and dent (only cosmetic flaw) free shipping. The deed is done. I’ll let you guys know how they work out. Here’s the truck, if the picture loads.

thats a nice truck for a work truck, body is in great shape!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:49 pm

:beer: X2 it looks like a great truck you picked up. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

FordThunder

Post #6 by FordThunder » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks guys. It’s really clean for 380k. Even cleaner now, I replaced the headlights since the photo. That’s why I had to save it from wasting away. But I am trying to start my own business soon and I need a truck. So, I tell myself. I will try post the progress with the fuel injectors (with A/F ratios measured before and after), probably delete the EGR system while I’m taking the upper intake manifold off. Parts should be in Tuesday!

pmuller9

Post #7 by pmuller9 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Don't delete the EGR.
It allows you to run a lean mixture for fuel mileage while keeping the cylinder temps low.

FordThunder

Post #8 by FordThunder » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Don't delete the EGR.
It allows you to run a lean mixture for fuel mileage while keeping the cylinder temps low.

I might not delete it. But I’m still not convinced as why not too. But this how I see it: First, if I’m running a lean air/fuel ratio, my cylinder and exhaust temperatures would be higher than if at a stoichiometric AFR. Less fuel to cool inside the combustion chamber.Then add in EGR, which is hot exhaust gas ( carbon dioxide, water, small trace of oil (motor has age) and the infamous hydrocarbons )) going in and replacing the “cooler fresh air”. So if I’m obtaining cooler temps because of water in my cylinder, I rather cool it with fuel. Help me out here. How do you see it running cooler temperatures?

pmuller9

Post #9 by pmuller9 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 am

At small throttle cruising conditions the EFI system runs closed loop using a narrow band O2 which means it will be running stoichiometric as you stated.

When the EGR is active, the intake charge is diluted with exhaust gas and the oxygen content is lowered.
The system still maintains a stoich A/F ratio but with less oxygen, it requires less fuel to do so.

Personally I'm with you and would rather not be dumping that mess into my engine.
I would test the gas mileage with the EGR system working and then without it operating and see what the difference is.

FordThunder

Post #10 by FordThunder » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:53 pm

Cool, thanks for the time. I see what you mean. I’m still deleting it though. But really it made me think one change at a time. Injectors first. I’ll try post it up as I progress. Cheers

FordThunder

Post #11 by FordThunder » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Hey guys,

I replaced the injectors and man what a difference! The only pain I had was the factory quick connect fuel line breaking(when replacing filter) and the EGR being 22 years old. Aside from that I’m having a blast with it. I haven’t removed smog pump yet. I also need to weld the exhaust leak. I’m averaging about 18MPG. Only one DTC, P1075. The truck sits at 383k. I still need to check timing, replace cap and rotor, clean MAF, check tire pressure. I think 20MPG is obtainable! I’m planning to build a small turbo set up over the next couple years and try break 25MPG highway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brandoncw

Post #12 by brandoncw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Happy we could help, and if you want to check it out ive got a build going in the turbo section. Its probably way more extreme than you would want but you could probably take a few things from it.