Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad


<<< New Site Update >>>

Timing set opinion

Moderator: Mod Squad

brandoncw
Registered User
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Fulton, Missouri

Timing set opinion

Post #1 by brandoncw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

WorldChampGramp
VIP Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: Fort Myers, Florida

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #2 by WorldChampGramp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:44 am

Brandon: These aluminum cam gear/steel crank mono indexed gearsets, are readily available elsewhere at significant savings. Suggest you start with http://www.rockauto.com/ Gramps

brandoncw
Registered User
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Fulton, Missouri

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #3 by brandoncw » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 pm

WorldChampGramp wrote:Brandon: These aluminum cam gear/steel crank mono indexed gearsets, are readily available elsewhere at significant savings. Suggest you start with http://www.rockauto.com/ Gramps

I figured as much.

On a side note, did you guys ever decide to start doing the custom crank gear key ways?
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 6047
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #4 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:24 am

brandoncw, I'm thinking you really meant custom keys. The keyway is actually the slot in the shaft
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 3322
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #5 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:15 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:brandoncw, I'm thinking you really meant custom keys. The keyway is actually the slot in the shaft

brandoncw is correct
You tell us how many degrees the cam needs to be shifted and the crank gear gets a new keyway cut with a new corresponding reference gear tooth marking.

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 6047
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #6 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:31 am

OK now I get it. I was looking at a stack of various offset keys recently and that threw me off. Do you broach these keyways, mill, EDM or?
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 3322
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #7 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:49 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Do you broach these keyways, mill, EDM or?

Good question. Haven't tried one yet to see how difficult it will be to cut the material.
EDM would be the easiest but we will see.

brandoncw
Registered User
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Fulton, Missouri

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #8 by brandoncw » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:37 pm

pmuller9 wrote:
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:brandoncw, I'm thinking you really meant custom keys. The keyway is actually the slot in the shaft

brandoncw is correct
You tell us how many degrees the cam needs to be shifted and the crank gear gets a new keyway cut with a new corresponding reference gear tooth marking.

So you guys are providing that service? what price? Could i just have the part shipped directly to you then you ship it to me after the modification work has been made?
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator
Posts: 5559
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Careywood, Idaho

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #9 by Lazy JW » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:10 am

brandoncw wrote:
pmuller9 wrote:
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:brandoncw, I'm thinking you really meant custom keys. The keyway is actually the slot in the shaft

brandoncw is correct
You tell us how many degrees the cam needs to be shifted and the crank gear gets a new keyway cut with a new corresponding reference gear tooth marking.

So you guys are providing that service? what price? Could i just have the part shipped directly to you then you ship it to me after the modification work has been made?


Please keep any business related transactions out of the public forum.
Thanks,
Joe
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)
Image

brandoncw
Registered User
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Fulton, Missouri

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #10 by brandoncw » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 am

Lazy JW wrote:
brandoncw wrote:
pmuller9 wrote:brandoncw is correct
You tell us how many degrees the cam needs to be shifted and the crank gear gets a new keyway cut with a new corresponding reference gear tooth marking.

So you guys are providing that service? what price? Could i just have the part shipped directly to you then you ship it to me after the modification work has been made?


Please keep any business related transactions out of the public forum.
Thanks,
Joe

oh yes, my apologies.
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

guhfluh
Registered User
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #11 by guhfluh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:22 pm

Last I saw posted, the Cloyes adjustable set was still available, despite the rumors that it wasnt.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

brandoncw
Registered User
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Fulton, Missouri

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #12 by brandoncw » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:00 pm

guhfluh wrote:Last I saw posted, the Cloyes adjustable set was still available, despite the rumors that it wasnt.


Thanks for the tip, ill look in to it!
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

brandoncw
Registered User
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 10:51 pm
Location: Fulton, Missouri

Re: Timing set opinion

Post #13 by brandoncw » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:20 pm

The Cloyes Timing Gear Sets 8-1014 are availiable on ebay. I just got myself a set before they are gone... again
Skilled labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't skilled.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests