Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Clark 5spd behind a 300? Attention Notmeofficer!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Rusty_Old_F250

Clark 5spd behind a 300? Attention Notmeofficer!

Post #1 by Rusty_Old_F250 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm

I've heard rumor these exist, but haven't been able to confirm it. Does anyone have any info on them? I've found loads of the HD NP435 variants and even one of the HD t18's, but haven't run across one with a clark yet.

Any info is welcome!

Sam

BigBlue94

Re: Clark 5spd behind a 300? Attention Notmeofficer!

Post #2 by BigBlue94 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:01 am

I read of a Clark 4 speed somewhere, but not a 5 speed. And I've never seen much on the Clark's in fords
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

jason832

Post #3 by jason832 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:25 pm

They do exist. My uncle has one in his junkyard I looked into a few years ago. 5th is OD on that exact one. If I remember right the answer I got was "it's possible, but good luck finding the clutch, flywheel, and bell housing to match up."

Google Clark 5 speed and read all the threads that come up.

arse_sidewards

Post #4 by arse_sidewards » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 am

The Clark 5spds with OD will have a VO suffix, 280VO, 282VO, etc, etc. There may be others that are OD but all the VO suffix trans will be OD as far as I can tell. The ratios are pretty good. They don't have deep 6.xx first gears but the overall spread is about the same since they have a .8OD, basically what the M5OD would have been had an absolute moron not selected the 1st and reverse gear ratios.

I have a 280VO I am slowly, slowly (I've bought a house, other vehicles, building a shop, etc. since the project started so progress is slow and inconsistent) doing stuff to swap behind a 300. I regret not taking a picture beside an NP435 when I had one lying around. It dwarfs the 435 in every way.

The input shaft I have is 1-3/8x10spl (input shaft probably varies by application). The pilot diameter is large, like .750 or something (nothing a lathe and a bushing can't fix), I forget exactly what it is. The stickout is the same as a Ford NP435, 6.xx IIRC. The input dimensions pose somewhat of a problem for clutch selection. 1-3/8 disks are available but you can't just order a clutch kit that will have everything you need. The disks will need to be bought separately and then you will need to make sure they fit the pressure plate. Assuming you use a pressure plate for an 11" clutch the pressure plate fingers will almost certainlly need the fingers trimmed to clear the input bearing retainer. No big deal, just another thing to do.

Throw-out bearing is easy. Just get a throw-out bearing from something that used this trans. Clutch fork totally depends on your bell-housing. I would advise using a hydraulic clutch so that you can size the slave cylinder to work with the motion ratio of your fork. Alternatively you could use an aftermarket internal slave cylinder and bypass fork issues entirely. I don't know if they make one big enough. When I saw what the aftermarket racing stuff cost I stopped looking

The output is 1-1/2x10spl and the yoke is fixed. IIRC it is 1480. There is plenty of meat in the yoke to turn it down on a lathe and then re-drill it for the 4x4.25 bolt pattern that damn near every full size ford pinion flange uses.

Obviously like and MDT trans it could have come equipped with a parking brake. Mine didn't have one when I got it.There are two six bolt PTO openings. One requires a somewhat obscure gear. The other uses a fairly common gear.

The bell-housing index is 5.125. There is not enough free space between the edge of the bearing retainer and bolts to turn it down to 4.865. You will be into the bolts.

The 280VO I have has the pattern for a Chevy bell-housing. Any steel Lakewood bell with the SBF pattern and a 5.125 index could easily be drilled out and made to work (you should probably look into clocking it a couple degrees so the shifter points slightly at the driver if you go this route). One could also weld tabs (more like triangular blocks) to a bored out SBF bell-housing then drill them for the Chevy pattern. If I could TIG weld this is probably what I'd do.

I found an OMC adapter plate (for marine applications, obviously) that holds the starter and goes from SBF pattern to SBC pattern. This will space things back by about .75" (haven't even checked, just eyeballing it) but let me run a simple Ford flex-plate (or maybe manual trans flywheel) and starter. This is about as far as I've gotten on this end of the transmission. I need to buy clutch parts before I can figure out what I'm working with in terms of length and what my flywheel situation will be. Don't expect me to do anything anytime soon. I'm more concerned with the back of the trans right now (actually I'm more concerned with building out my new shop and homeowner type projects). I need to adapt it to Ford 31spl so I can run a married NP203 (range box/doubler) and transfer case.

If you can find a Clark 5spd that was originally set up to run behind any Ford your life will be much easier. That said, if you're looking for a medium duty OD 5spd you can't exactly be picky. Most of the (Ford) trucks these came in had FE engines. I think that would probably still be a massive step up in compatibility from the one I have.

Your best bet for target application is probably going to be 70s/80s medium duty trucks. I hope you live somewhere old MDTs are cheap and plentiful because you may have to buy an entire truck in order to get the trans. There's lots of good info on the various Ford forums. Read about all things Clark, it's all helpful and 90% of it will be applicable.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

Rusty_Old_F250

Post #5 by Rusty_Old_F250 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks guys!

@Jason That's my impression of them, I'm hoping the clutch setup from the HD 435's is similar. I have an HD 435 in a crate here, but it's pretty well buried, otherwise I'd go measure it.

@sidewards I used to have a pair of ford clarks, a 282V and an unknown, the 282v from behind a 361 in a 77 f700 and the unknown from a 330 swapped into a 62 f600. I gave them to a buddy a while ago, he swapped the 282 into his highboy with a 390. The 1 3/8 shaft with 3/4 pilot sounds familiar. By the way, where are you at? A local yard here has probably a dozen ford clarks

Sam

arse_sidewards

Post #6 by arse_sidewards » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:18 am

I'm in Massachusetts.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

notmeofficer

Post #7 by notmeofficer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:13 am

Rusty_Old_F250 wrote:Thanks guys!

@Jason That's my impression of them, I'm hoping the clutch setup from the HD 435's is similar. I have an HD 435 in a crate here, but it's pretty well buried, otherwise I'd go measure it.

@sidewards I used to have a pair of ford clarks, a 282V and an unknown, the 282v from behind a 361 in a 77 f700 and the unknown from a 330 swapped into a 62 f600. I gave them to a buddy a while ago, he swapped the 282 into his highboy with a 390. The 1 3/8 shaft with 3/4 pilot sounds familiar. By the way, where are you at? A local yard here has probably a dozen ford clarks

Sam

Sam.. thanks for the heads up
I sold one in a later model f600 but it was a 429-V8... Ill have to look and see whats in the parts pile..obviously if I can source one it opens up options
Thanks to Arse for lots of good info

So.. a little update.. I just looked at the numbers on my 300 six bellhousings
C7TA-7505A
which crosses over apparently to the clark bellhousing via interchange numbers C5TZ-7505-E
and the ebay ad for it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-C7TA- ... ctupt=true

More looking around.. which leads me into what else might fit.. rebuilt clarks are over 1700.00.. how about something like a small fuller? all syncro

notme

Rusty_Old_F250

Post #8 by Rusty_Old_F250 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:43 pm

@Sidewards, darn, I'm in Washington. That's a bit too far to bother shipping one. EDIT: Try these guys for a ford clark, they catalog national wrecking yard inventory. https://truckpartsinventory.com/

@NotMeOfficer
Hmmm... Thanks for the bellhousing info, I'm working on acquiring a pair of proper HD 300's that are local to me, sounds like i need to make that happen sooner than later. 99% sure they've got that bellhousing.

I've dreamed about a small fuller, that would be sweeet! Eaton/Fuller owns the Clark nameplate and their designs, and they still make them for industrial applications. They also make a syncro 6spd version! I'm sure they're spendy, but man, that would be a sweet setup... I've been thinking more about it lately, currently I've got a 435 with a spicer 6041 brownie, which is a massive improvement, but I find myself using the brownie mostly as a range box. which still leaves me with the ratio gaps of the 435.

Sam

notmeofficer

Post #9 by notmeofficer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Rusty_Old_F250 wrote:@Sidewards, darn, I'm in Washington. That's a bit too far to bother shipping one. EDIT: Try these guys for a ford clark, they catalog national wrecking yard inventory. https://truckpartsinventory.com/

@NotMeOfficer
Hmmm... Thanks for the bellhousing info, I'm working on acquiring a pair of proper HD 300's that are local to me, sounds like i need to make that happen sooner than later. 99% sure they've got that bellhousing.

I've dreamed about a small fuller, that would be sweeet! Eaton/Fuller owns the Clark nameplate and their designs, and they still make them for industrial applications. They also make a syncro 6spd version! I'm sure they're spendy, but man, that would be a sweet setup... I've been thinking more about it lately, currently I've got a 435 with a spicer 6041 brownie, which is a massive improvement, but I find myself using the brownie mostly as a range box. which still leaves me with the ratio gaps of the 435.

Sam

Im out of my league with fullers..I know there are a couple of "smaller" ones... If I could figure out the right one I would search for it.. but yes a synchro version would be the way to go..you would probably still start of in second.. but the OD would be so nice

Going to get an f500 6 cylinder truck this week if the weather will stop for a second

Aussie was sure proud of the side cover.. but thank you..in the big scheme.. and if the only game out there.. bite the bullet

Fullers spec sheet for medium duty transmissions (the light duty max out at 11k gvw)
https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/products ... sions.html

I checked on the pricing for the first six speed listed
$1950 used to about 4k reman'd... and you would still have to machine an adapter and machine the main shaft... ouch.. getting beyond my knowledge base