Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad


<<< New Site Update >>>

Yet another cam question

Moderator: Mod Squad

Baldape
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Yet another cam question

Post #1 by Baldape » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:22 pm

Hello all,
Been away for a while but having built a couple 300's now( rebuilds mainly, lost count).
I have a theory...
Seems how the 300 has 6 cylinders with 50 cubic inches each I have always ascertained that you should cam a big 6 like a 400 ford which moves the same volume from each cylinder, now I know cyl head design, intake design, and flow characteristics are vastly different, but in terms of cylinder filling, I think it would be a better place to start...

All thoughts welcome!

The return of the baldape

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #2 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:54 pm

I agree and have been following that theory for years, head flow notwithstanding.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 3325
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #3 by pmuller9 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:39 pm

Yes.
Most everyone under cams the 300 six.
There is no loss of low end torque even with .050" durations 30* more than stock.
Furthermore once you get past mid 270s of advertised intake duration the static compression ratio can be increased over 9:1 and still be able to use 87 octane pump gas.

sandboxer
Registered User
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 4:34 am

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #4 by sandboxer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:13 pm

Having said that, how much static compression would you safely run with the Schneider 142F?

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 3325
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #5 by pmuller9 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 am

sandboxer wrote:Having said that, how much static compression would you safely run with the Schneider 142F?

I would stay between 9.4 to 9.5 and use 91 octane pump gas.
That is with the cam advanced 2 degrees with the intake lobe center at 108 degrees ATDC.

User avatar
GPGoverMPG
Registered User
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:59 am
Location: South central texas

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #6 by GPGoverMPG » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:16 am

It's right where I'm headed. When I degree the cam it's going to be figuring out which offset keys to run in which configuration. Are there straight cut timing gears available? It would make installing the cam simpler. I would rather not be pressing the cam gear on and off a bunch.
71 F350 4x4 Super Duty 7.3 IDI
72 F250 4x4 4speed 300 I6
72 F100 2x 428 Tri Power
2014 SHO

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 3325
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #7 by pmuller9 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:39 am

GPGoverMPG wrote:It's right where I'm headed. When I degree the cam it's going to be figuring out which offset keys to run in which configuration. Are there straight cut timing gears available? It would make installing the cam simpler. I would rather not be pressing the cam gear on and off a bunch.

No straight cut gears that I know of.
Besides I don't know how that would help.
In either case you are going to have to press on the gear in order to put the cam in the block and see where it is at.

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #8 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:40 am

GPGoverMPG wrote:...Are there straight cut timing gears available? ...


NO

Pity.

I have a couple of sets of straight cut prototype gears that a member made several years ago. They have an adjustable hub and are infinitely adjustable. It took me a lot of head scratching to figure how to use them but once I did I came to appreciate the beauty of the design. I recently tried to contact the maker but the trail has gone cold.

I would be more than willing to supply photos of these if anybody wants to try to build a copy. Its above my pay grade.

They DO whine.

Image


For more info visit my thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78402

including a short video of the engine start-up.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

Mdixon300f100
Registered User
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #9 by Mdixon300f100 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:57 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:
GPGoverMPG wrote:...Are there straight cut timing gears available? ...


NO

Pity.

I have a couple of sets of straight cut prototype gears that a member made several years ago. They have an adjustable hub and are infinitely adjustable. It took me a lot of head scratching to figure how to use them but once I did I came to appreciate the beauty of the design. I recently tried to contact the maker but the trail has gone cold.

I would be more than willing to supply photos of these if anybody wants to try to build a copy. Its above my pay grade.

They DO whine.

Image


For more info visit my thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78402

including a short video of the engine start-up.


That is a beautiful thing

Max_Effort
Registered User
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #10 by Max_Effort » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:
GPGoverMPG wrote:...Are there straight cut timing gears available? ...


NO

Pity.

I have a couple of sets of straight cut prototype gears that a member made several years ago. They have an adjustable hub and are infinitely adjustable. It took me a lot of head scratching to figure how to use them but once I did I came to appreciate the beauty of the design. I recently tried to contact the maker but the trail has gone cold.

I would be more than willing to supply photos of these if anybody wants to try to build a copy. Its above my pay grade.

They DO whine.

Image


For more info visit my thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78402

including a short video of the engine start-up.


I’d think Al Meekins will make them.

https://www.gearsmade.com/?fbclid=IwAR1 ... p68i1Js_kM

Max_Effort
Registered User
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Yet another cam question

Post #11 by Max_Effort » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:25 pm

682FDFE9-39DA-40DF-9E84-3FF3AA315847.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests