Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

Oil pump issue ?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Supervan66

Oil pump issue ?

Post #1 by Supervan66 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Just finished building the engine for my 1966 Econoline, got it all installed everything plumbed and wired up.

Primed the oil pump, and fuel pump to new carburetor and engine starts right up:) in order to break this engine and camshaft in, I’m supposed to hold the rpm’s at 2500 rpm for 30min.

As soon as I give it a little throttle I get a fountain of oil gushing out of the oil filter seal. It pushed the seal out.
At first I’m thinking “ maybe I didn’t get the filter on tight enough”
I put a brand new filter on, as tight as I could and started it again.
Same thing , it pushed the oil filter seal out and made a mess all over a freshly painted engine .

It a freshly rebuilt engine and I’m using a a Melling high volume oil pump that I purchased from Summit.
Tomorrow I’ll install an oil pressure gauge and know more .
- does my newly purchased oil pump have a stuck pressure bypass valve ??
- Is there any tricks that you salty dogs know of to unstuck that valve , without pulling my oil pan off?
- maybe blowing air pressure thru the oil filter port on the side of the block ?
Thanks , you folks have already given me a lot of great advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max_Effort

Re: Oil pump issue ?

Post #2 by Max_Effort » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Sounds as the bypass valve is stuck. I think you’re going to have to drop the pan and remove the pump.

You can bench test the pump with a block off plate tapped for a gauge and the pump submersed in a can of oil.

BamaDude

Post #3 by BamaDude » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:29 pm

Sweet looking motor.
1972 Ford F100 shortbed, 300 ci, C4
2007 Mustang GT Roush blown 4.6

Supervan66

Post #4 by Supervan66 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:35 am

Max_Effort wrote:Sounds as the bypass valve is stuck. I think you’re going to have to drop the pan and remove the pump.

You can bench test the pump with a block off plate tapped for a gauge and the pump submersed in a can of oil.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but such is life :)
What if I took the distributor out and turned the oil pump with a hammer drill?

Max_Effort

Post #5 by Max_Effort » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:05 am

Supervan66 wrote:
Max_Effort wrote:Sounds as the bypass valve is stuck. I think you’re going to have to drop the pan and remove the pump.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but such is life :)
What if I took the distributor out and turned the oil pump with a hammer drill?

That pump is prob making 130 psi now and it’s not enough to move the relief valve. There is prob a metal chip stuck in it.

This is why I disassemble, inspect and test pumps before install. Once burned, twice shy...

arse_sidewards

Post #6 by arse_sidewards » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:24 am

Supervan66 wrote:What if I took the distributor out and turned the oil pump with a hammer drill?

I would disable the hammer function but yeah, that should work.

I would also remove the filter and stuff a plug of some sort (wine cork?) in the oil return so that you don't have to oil the whole engine to build pressure.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

drag-200stang

Post #7 by drag-200stang » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:51 am

Best thing to do is remove the pump and take it apart and find the problem before you stress the drive gear, shaft and pin more than necessary.
PS nice looking engine :thumbup:
66 Mustang Coupe
200 turbo w/lenco 4-spd
stock adj. rockers, stock timing set, ARP studs
best 1/4 mile ET 9.85/best mph 139 on 8 lbs progressing to 15 lbs boost
Went 9's when 10's was fast.

Supervan66

Post #8 by Supervan66 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Alright... today I was pretty dead set trying to figure out away to free up the bypass valve on that oil pump.

I installed an oil pressure gauge, removed the distributor , and set up a drill on the oil pump drive shaft.

Within a few seconds of turning the oil pump, my oil pressure pegged the gauge past 100psi. I tried spinning the drill backwards ( it doesn’t build pressure, but also did nothing to free up the valve)

I also tried a hammer drill and an impact gun, carefully trying to free it up .
No luck.

Tomorrow I’ll be pulling the oil pan and sending the pump back to Summit
“ by the way, their tech helpers are pretty useless “

My machinist told me to stick with a stock pump and to avoid the high volume one .
Anyways . I’ll keep y’all posted .

Here’s what the
Motor went into, camping season is almost here !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GPGoverMPG

Post #9 by GPGoverMPG » Wed May 01, 2019 8:15 am

Very nice, I want the pick up version bad. Hope it starts you may have left your lights on.
71 F350 4x4 Super Duty 7.3 IDI
72 F250 4x4 4speed 300 I6
72 F100 2x 428 Tri Power
2014 SHO

CNC-Dude

Post #10 by CNC-Dude » Wed May 01, 2019 11:55 am

Many people don't realize you need to disassemble new oil pumps to blueprint them also when building an engine. This includes inspecting all components, deburring the gears, adjusting the gears endplay in the main body, checking the function of the bypass spring and plunger to make sure it doesn't bind when moving back and forth, making sure the sealing surfaces on main body and cover plate are flat. I've seen many spray oil between these pieces because they are not flat. And then greasing the gears so it will prime easier when you first start it.

Supervan66

Post #11 by Supervan66 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:03 pm

CNC-Dude wrote:Many people don't realize you need to disassemble new oil pumps to blueprint them also when building an engine. This includes inspecting all components, deburring the gears, adjusting the gears endplay in the main body, checking the function of the bypass spring and plunger to make sure it doesn't bind when moving back and forth, making sure the sealing surfaces on main body and cover plate are flat. I've seen many spray oil between these pieces because they are not flat. And then greasing the gears so it will prime easier when you first start it.

The bypass valve is peened into the body of the oil pump, so I’d lose my warranty if I pulled it apart. I installed a new pump today and I’m back in business!!