Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad


<<< New Site Update >>>

Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Moderator: Mod Squad

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #1 by Motorboy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:01 pm

This summer I’m rebuilding my axles, trans, transfer case and replacing(or repairing) the radiator core support. Which will leave me little budget left. However, since I’ll have the engine out, what are the top things to do to freshen up this old engine without getting into the block?
What I have already done in the last 2 years:
• Offy intake
• Efi Manifolds
• Autolite 2150
• New fuel pump
• Hei Dizzy
• New plugs & wires
• New water temp sensor
• New oil Pressure sensor
• New alternator
• Valve cover gasket
What I’m planning:
• Thermostat
• Water pump
• Main seals
• Pan gasket
• Oil pump
Anything I’m missing? Recommendations?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #2 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:34 pm

Check and clean the oil pump pickup for debris / sludge.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #3 by Motorboy » Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 am

Thanks FTF! My plan is clean up, upgrade or replace anything that is cheep but normally a difficult to get to when the engine is in the truck.

One further question. After reading through some posts last night, I came across a few horror stories of people shearing timing teeth off the composite timing gear. Should that be on my list?

User avatar
GPGoverMPG
Registered User
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:59 am
Location: South central texas

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #4 by GPGoverMPG » Wed May 01, 2019 8:11 am

What was your oil pressure. Pretty easy to change rod and main bearings. I recently changed the rod bearings in my truck and would have done the mains but I didn't want to remove the manual transmission and xfer case. Helped my oil pressure a lot.
71 F350 4x4 Super Duty 7.3 IDI
72 F250 4x4 4speed 300 I6
72 F100 2x 428 Tri Power
2014 SHO

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #5 by Motorboy » Wed May 01, 2019 5:10 pm

Good to know. Thanks! It didn't occur to me that they will be easily accessible on a stand. It would suck to do all this then spin a bearing.
The engine has good oil pressure and compression. I think the guts are ok, despite the obvious abuse this truck took before i got it.
I'm trying to have this project back on the road this fall. With the money i'm spending on everything else there isn't enough for a proper rebuild, but i can scrape together a few hundred bucks to revitalize the old 300.

If anyone else has any helpful nuggets I'm all ears.

User avatar
old28racer
Registered User
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:27 pm
Location: Camarillo, CA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #6 by old28racer » Thu May 02, 2019 5:38 pm

As your going to a lot of work getting the motor back to where you want it, I would replace the composite cam timing gear with an aluminum or steel unit, that composite gear will be trouble soon enough.
Bad Day Racing Is Better Than A Day In The Stands :mrgreen:

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #7 by Motorboy » Sat May 04, 2019 12:24 pm

old28racer wrote:As your going to a lot of work getting the motor back to where you want it, I would replace the composite cam timing gear with an aluminum or steel unit, that composite gear will be trouble soon enough.


Any recommendations? I've seen on this forum a lot of tout about the Cloyes gear set but they are not on the market as far as i can tell. I'v found a set of Melling on Summit. I'm not familiar to this engine, nor the "Go To" manufactures for aftermarket support. (As obscure as they may be)

Eventually i will be rebuilding this engine, and it will most likely have an aftermarket cam in it. But for now I'm trying to tackle any low buck but high labor issues while i got it out.

User avatar
bubba22349
Global Moderator
Posts: 9091
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: Flagstaff, Az. 86005 near the old Route 66

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #8 by bubba22349 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Another way to save some money on freshening up your engine is to get a rering kit they will come with set of rings, full gasket set, Rod bearings, usally you can customize these kits adding the main bearings and an oil pump, timing gear set, ect, and parts brands too all at a low price. By the way Melling is a great company making quality parts. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #9 by Motorboy » Sun May 05, 2019 9:57 am

bubba22349 wrote:Another way to save some money on freshening up your engine is to get a rering kit they will come with set of rings, full gasket set, Rod bearings, usally you can customize these kits adding the main bearings and an oil pump, timing gear set, ect, and parts brands too all at a low price. By the way Melling is a great company making quality parts. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:


I looked into that, but mostly what i've found are Ebay stuff. I know there are some reputable people on ebay, but I prefer to pay a bit more for peace of mind that quality and accountability bring. Any recommendations on vendors of kits?

Max_Effort
Registered User
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #10 by Max_Effort » Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am

Motorboy wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:Another way to save some money on freshening up your engine is to get a rering kit they will come with set of rings, full gasket set, Rod bearings, usally you can customize these kits adding the main bearings and an oil pump, timing gear set, ect, and parts brands too all at a low price. By the way Melling is a great company making quality parts. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:


I looked into that, but mostly what i've found are Ebay stuff. I know there are some reputable people on ebay, but I prefer to pay a bit more for peace of mind that quality and accountability bring. Any recommendations on vendors of kits?


Northern auto parts has name brand parts/kits at reasonable price. http://www.northernautoparts.com

Enginetech will usually be the lowest cost kit. (Reboxed various manufacturer components, usually ok)

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #11 by Motorboy » Sun May 05, 2019 11:28 am

Max_Effort wrote:
Motorboy wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:Another way to save some money on freshening up your engine is to get a rering kit they will come with set of rings, full gasket set, Rod bearings, usally you can customize these kits adding the main bearings and an oil pump, timing gear set, ect, and parts brands too all at a low price. By the way Melling is a great company making quality parts. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:


I looked into that, but mostly what i've found are Ebay stuff. I know there are some reputable people on ebay, but I prefer to pay a bit more for peace of mind that quality and accountability bring. Any recommendations on vendors of kits?


Northern auto parts has name brand parts/kits at reasonable price. http://www.northernautoparts.com

Enginetech will usually be the lowest cost kit. (Reboxed various manufacturer components, usually ok)


Thanks for the Tip! Although i feel like i'm slowly being lead into a full rebuild. :wink:

pmuller9
Registered User
Posts: 3325
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Columbus, Indiana

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #12 by pmuller9 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Motorboy wrote:I feel like i'm slowly being lead into a full rebuild. :wink:

I would go back to your original plan with replacing parts that will be reused when you do a rebuild.
Things like rings and bearings will not get reused and be wasted.

How soon till a full rebuild?

guhfluh
Registered User
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #13 by guhfluh » Sun May 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Any standard metal timing gear set will work for basic for your basic preventative maintenance goal, but it isn't a basic easy task in my opinion. Add a timing cover gasket and tappet/lifter cover gasket set to your list. Since you will have it out, replace the rear main and front timing cover seal.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

Max_Effort
Registered User
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #14 by Max_Effort » Sun May 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Motorboy wrote:
Max_Effort wrote:
Motorboy wrote:
I looked into that, but mostly what i've found are Ebay stuff. I know there are some reputable people on ebay, but I prefer to pay a bit more for peace of mind that quality and accountability bring. Any recommendations on vendors of kits?


Northern auto parts has name brand parts/kits at reasonable price. http://www.northernautoparts.com

Enginetech will usually be the lowest cost kit. (Reboxed various manufacturer components, usually ok)


Thanks for the Tip! Although i feel like i'm slowly being lead into a full rebuild. :wink:


Yeah, you are, because you’ve done all the external already.

If the engine runs good, has good oil pressure, doesn’t leak, doesn’t make noise... then don’t do anything to it.

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #15 by Motorboy » Mon May 06, 2019 4:50 am

pmuller9 wrote:
Motorboy wrote:I feel like i'm slowly being lead into a full rebuild. :wink:

How soon till a full rebuild?


Short answer: When my time, money, and need for more Smiles per mile align. I think I have a healthy bock so I'm in no rush.

BigBlue94
Registered User
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Hoyt, Kansas

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #16 by BigBlue94 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:52 pm

I'd do motor mounts while you're in there. And replace all vacuum lines and coolant hoses.

Not a bad time for a new fan and possibly a new radiator.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

User avatar
Motorboy
Registered User
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Location: Lansdale, PA

Re: Top things to freshen up an old engine.

Post #17 by Motorboy » Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 pm

BigBlue94 wrote:I'd do motor mounts while you're in there. And replace all vacuum lines and coolant hoses.

Not a bad time for a new fan and possibly a new radiator.


Good Advice! I had planned on motor mounts. I'm also doing a complete rebuild of power steering system, as well as cooling system so new radiator was also planed. Nearly all hoses and line have been replaced by now.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests