Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad


<<< New Site Update >>>

TECH TIP - STORAGE

Moderator: Mod Squad

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #1 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun May 26, 2019 9:47 pm

if you have a block or head you want to store long term see if your local marina has some left-over scrap boat shrink wrap. They often trim off table-cloth sized pieces when covering boats. Wrap head, shrink with a heat gun or torch and stuff will stay clean until ready for use.

Image
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

sdiesel
Registered User
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am
Location: NW Oregon,Buxton currently

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #2 by sdiesel » Mon May 27, 2019 12:02 am

excellent tip.
and a low humidity space to storealso.
corrosion paper and shrink wrap, combined, will store my finished parts where in oregon we have high humidity.
also I like to hot tank b4 storing finished parts
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

Max_Effort
Registered User
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #3 by Max_Effort » Mon May 27, 2019 8:28 am

The shrink wrap is a good idea.

For longer term storage and in humid conditions, I use VCI oil (volatile corrosion inhibitor) for storage. I have it in a spray bottle, coat the parts, wrap and seal.
It's also used in the crankcase of engines being stored (all openings must be sealed for it to work)

It washes off easier than spray cosmoline coatings, (but I do use cosmoline on crankshafts)

https://www.amazon.com/Kynetx-Preventiv ... way&sr=8-1

arse_sidewards
Registered User
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 am

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #4 by arse_sidewards » Tue May 28, 2019 8:03 am

Linseed oil + newspaper + big plastic bag.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

sdiesel
Registered User
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am
Location: NW Oregon,Buxton currently

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #5 by sdiesel » Wed May 29, 2019 12:45 am

vci oil...where to get that?. I'll have to look into it.
I love linseed oil, but don't it get hard like the Dickens when dry?

funny story.
Paul M came down a few years ago to fetch some parts he needed.
I had a worn out old block that I knew was .60 over and tired. I had, for some reason put molasses down the holes of this short block, a year or so before, which he decided he wanted. so I had to knock those glued in pistons out with a hammer, without the aid of hot water.
I do not know nor do I wish to know what thoughts might have been going through his head as he witnessed this very low tech, hillbilly taking a hammer to precision parts.
I knew they were junk, he did not, until later examination revealed to him the truths I had known about that blighter of an engine block.

all ended well, the block served his need and I was able to assist, and reduce the massive over-clutter of 300 six parts I have needlessly accumulated over the years.
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #6 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed May 29, 2019 8:45 am

sdiesel wrote:...
I do not know nor do I wish to know what thoughts might have been going through his head as he witnessed this very low tech, hillbilly taking a hammer to precision parts.
...

Your experience reminds me. I gotta tell this story:
A supervisor of mine told me early on in his career he had to take one of our used up test cars destined for the crusher to the infield of the test track to park. He asked an unwitting trainee to go with him. Going over the overpass of the track he casually turned the car into the concrete barrier wiping out the entire side of the car, much to the horror of the unknowing trainee who thought he was riding with a psycho.

Its all fun-n-games until somebody gets hurt.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

sandboxer
Registered User
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 4:34 am

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #7 by sandboxer » Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am

arse_sidewards wrote:Linseed oil + newspaper + big plastic bag.

PLEASE DON’T!
Linseed oil heats as it cures and will cause rags and paper to spontaneously combust. Many a garage/shop has been lost to oil soaked rags.
I use linseed oil in my line of work and any cloth or paper that comes in contact with linseed oil goes straight into the wood stove after use. I don’t even set it down on a work station only to be forgotten...

arse_sidewards
Registered User
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 am

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #8 by arse_sidewards » Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 am

sandboxer wrote:
arse_sidewards wrote:Linseed oil + newspaper + big plastic bag.

PLEASE DON’T!
Linseed oil heats as it cures and will cause rags and paper to spontaneously combust. Many a garage/shop has been lost to oil soaked rags.
I use linseed oil in my line of work and any cloth or paper that comes in contact with linseed oil goes straight into the wood stove after use. I don’t even set it down on a work station only to be forgotten...


When you buy machined steel junk from China it's oiled (sometimes with linseed oil, assuming smell is any indication) and then wrapped in thin paper before being bagged for storage.

I'm not too worried. I paint steel for storage in linseed oil all the time. You need rapid oxidation for linseed oil to get hot. Nothing should be stored in a manner which allows rapid oxidation.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

Mdixon300f100
Registered User
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 6:43 am

Re: TECH TIP - STORAGE

Post #9 by Mdixon300f100 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:35 am

arse_sidewards wrote:
sandboxer wrote:
arse_sidewards wrote:Linseed oil + newspaper + big plastic bag.

PLEASE DON’T!
Linseed oil heats as it cures and will cause rags and paper to spontaneously combust. Many a garage/shop has been lost to oil soaked rags.
I use linseed oil in my line of work and any cloth or paper that comes in contact with linseed oil goes straight into the wood stove after use. I don’t even set it down on a work station only to be forgotten...


When you buy machined steel junk from China it's oiled (sometimes with linseed oil, assuming smell is any indication) and then wrapped in thin paper before being bagged for storage.

I'm not too worried. I paint steel for storage in linseed oil all the time. You need rapid oxidation for linseed oil to get hot. Nothing should be stored in a manner which allows rapid oxidation.


I’ve watched linseed oil soaked rags smoke and burst into flames after someone forgot to dispose of them. It can happen in a plastic bag if there’s enough oxygen. I prefer a heavy gear oil or grease for long term storage of parts.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests