Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

So I have a plan but now im Second guessing myself.

Moderator: Mod Squad

pmuller9

Re: So I have a plan but now im Second guessing myself.

Post #101 by pmuller9 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:14 am

When you put the spacer ring back on the camshaft be sure the beveled edge on the inside diameter of the ring is facing the cam and the flat side is up against the cam gear.

What valves do you have in the head?

48kenworth

Post #102 by 48kenworth » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:11 pm

pmuller9 wrote:When you put the spacer ring back on the camshaft be sure the beveled edge on the inside diameter of the ring is facing the cam and the flat side is up against the cam gear.

What valves do you have in the head?

Stock sized valves, I didn't see needing to go any bigger for the rpm range I am wanting to run. I did spend a considerable amount of time working on the bowls and the short turn though.

48kenworth

Post #103 by 48kenworth » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Schneider shipped my new cam and lifters out today. They did make me pay a marginal fee for them but agreed to refund that fee after they get a chance to look over the old cam and determine it wasn't my fault. They told me they opened the Lsa on my replacement cam to 112 because they feel I will like it better that way... They also said they double checked that this one is ground correctly before sending it out.

Max_Effort

Post #104 by Max_Effort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 am

48kenworth wrote:Schneider shipped my new cam and lifters out today. They did make me pay a marginal fee for them but agreed to refund that fee after they get a chance to look over the old cam and determine it wasn't my fault. They told me they opened the Lsa on my replacement cam to 112 because they feel I will like it better that way... They also said they double checked that this one is ground correctly before sending it out.

That's good news! I hope it works out this time. I realise that you are a professional, but I'd recommend you take the extra steps i posted earlier.

48kenworth

Post #105 by 48kenworth » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 am

Max_Effort wrote:
48kenworth wrote:Schneider shipped my new cam and lifters out today. They did make me pay a marginal fee for them but agreed to refund that fee after they get a chance to look over the old cam and determine it wasn't my fault. They told me they opened the Lsa on my replacement cam to 112 because they feel I will like it better that way... They also said they double checked that this one is ground correctly before sending it out.

That's good news! I hope it works out this time. I realise that you are a professional, but I'd recommend you take the extra steps i posted earlier.

What I do for a living is only loosely related to modifying a gas engine, there has definantly been a learning curve involved here. I do intend on taking every precaution possible this time.
The only break in oil locally available to me is royal purple, surely that will be acceptable? My figuring on flushing savings down was to use a high volume of diesel fuel since I have it readily available and it will be easy to dispense.

Max_Effort

Post #106 by Max_Effort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:44 pm

I just looked up Royal Purple break-in oil. (I haven’t used it), but it looks good. It’s mineral oil based with an additive package for break-in. (You don’t add anything else to the oil)

Does Schneider use a grease type cam lube or black moly paste? I thought it was an extreme pressure grease, but did someone mention moly?

I would think diesel fuel followed by some motor oil and some time to drain would work to flush out the crap.

48kenworth

Post #107 by 48kenworth » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 pm

I hope 15 gallons per minute of diesel was enough... I did all 12 lifter bores then ran a fare bit through the front of the pan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

48kenworth

Post #108 by 48kenworth » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Max_Effort wrote:I just looked up Royal Purple break-in oil. (I haven’t used it), but it looks good. It’s mineral oil based with an additive package for break-in. (You don’t add anything else to the oil)

Does Schneider use a grease type cam lube or black moly paste? I thought it was an extreme pressure grease, but did someone mention moly?

I would think diesel fuel followed by some motor oil and some time to drain would work to flush out the crap.

Schneider sends a grease type assembly lube. I use black Molly type lube or lubriplate at work. I have the black Molly stuff on hand at my shop at home. I used probably 15 gallons of diesel followed by a quart of regular motor oil to do the flush.that was cost free, it all went back into the tractor fuel tank. Jerry said to use the break in oil plus his snake oil additive, I don't figure it will hurt anything. He said to run the break in oil for 500 miles and only change the filter after break in. I can't quite come to terms with that, break in Oils doubtfully have what it takes to make it very far... but I'm open to opinions.

Max_Effort

Post #109 by Max_Effort » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:27 pm

48kenworth wrote:
Max_Effort wrote:I just looked up Royal Purple break-in oil. (I haven’t used it), but it looks good. It’s mineral oil based with an additive package for break-in. (You don’t add anything else to the oil)

Schneider sends a grease type assembly lube. I use black Molly type lube or lubriplate at work. I have the black Molly stuff on hand at my shop at home. I used probably 15 gallons of diesel followed by a quart of regular motor oil to do the flush.that was cost free, it all went back into the tractor fuel tank. Jerry said to use the break in oil plus his snake oil additive, I don't figure it will hurt anything. He said to run the break in oil for 500 miles and only change the filter after break in. I can't quite come to terms with that, break in Oils doubtfully have what it takes to make it very far... but I'm open to opinions.

Personally, I wouldn’t use any extra additive. The oil engineers (tribologist) have it where they want it.

Royal Purple states to run to their break-in oil it for 500-1000 and is good for up to 2500 miles. Some other brands state only 500 miles.

48kenworth

Post #110 by 48kenworth » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Ok. I check this cam three times, same numbers every time.
Intake opens
1 btdc
Intake closes
40 abdc
Centerline comes out to 109
I'm happy with that. Yes I put the little bevel in the ring facing the cam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmuller9

Post #111 by pmuller9 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:26 pm

That's as good as it gets. Nice job!
Did you take the time to check the exhaust lobe timing?

48kenworth

Post #112 by 48kenworth » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am

pmuller9 wrote:That's as good as it gets. Nice job!
Did you take the time to check the exhaust lobe timing?

I did not. It's in, broken in, and made a trip to town to get gas. So about 20 miles, I have not opened the secondaries yet but it runs great has a surprisingly smooth idle and takes very little throttle to make it move. So far I'm thrilled with it!

pmuller9

Post #113 by pmuller9 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Fantastic.
Thanks for sticking with it and figuring out the problem.
You should have a very wide power band to work with.

48kenworth

Post #114 by 48kenworth » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks to everybody for sticking with me through this. In the next week or two I will try to figure out how to post a video and show y'all idle quality and a full throttle run. I will also update on what Schneider has to say about the first cam they sent.

pmuller9

Post #115 by pmuller9 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Did you use the 1.75 ratio Chevy rocker arms or did you go back to the stock 1.6 ratio rocker arms?

48kenworth

Post #116 by 48kenworth » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Did you use the 1.75 ratio Chevy rocker arms or did you go back to the stock 1.6 ratio rocker arms?

1.6 ratio stock rocker arms.

48kenworth

Post #117 by 48kenworth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 pm

I drove it to work today. Runs great, but now I have a new issue to tackle. My 78 f100 has the tiny 18 1/12 x 18 1/2 radiator and that is no longer even close to enough. She gets hot! If I drive light footed and keep it under 60mph it will stay very cool but 65 for a long run on the interstate gets it hot as will a 3rd gear heck Mary pull. So now I am exploring my aftermarket aluminum radiator, fan, and shroud options to keep this monster in check. Champion 3 core Chevy engine conversion radiators are really catching my eye, they keep the bottom hose on the correct side. I am also co soldering electric fans for idle cooling. I've never had satisfactory results retro fitting elective fans on stuff with a/c but this pickup never had a/c so it may be ok. Maybe some spal fans or a 3.8l tauras fan or even a crown vic fan will fit. We shall see.

48kenworth

Post #118 by 48kenworth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Quick walk around at idle and an engine shot. Nearly 500 miles on it stock rockers and no squeak!
https://youtu.be/44ckjF8ubNM

Don't pay any mind to the fact that is sounds like it has a whipple...
Last edited by 48kenworth on Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

48kenworth

Post #119 by 48kenworth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:41 pm

The new radiator. The old one was a 18 1/4 by 18 1/4. 1 core. This one 19 1/2 by nearly 26 3 core. Problem solved.

pmuller9

Post #120 by pmuller9 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Sounds Good.
Glad to hear the stock rockers are working with .480" lift and stiffer springs.

After all that work please tell us how it runs.
Good torque from idle?
What rpm will it pull to in higher gears?
Gas Mileage?

48kenworth

Post #121 by 48kenworth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:08 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Sounds Good.
Glad to hear the stock rockers are working with .480" lift and stiffer springs.

After all that work please tell us how it runs.
Good torque from idle?
What rpm will it pull to in higher gears?
Gas Mileage?

I sacrificed a little below 1100 rpm but it will still idle along with 4,000lbs in tow in 2nd gear of the np435 Remember I have a 2.75 rear end.

I have ran it up to 5,000rpm pulling hard the whole way, it would pull hard beyond that but I'm to conservative to cross that mark.
Fuel economy numbers are yet to come but it appears to be noticeably better.