Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Anybody Here Work For A Texas Smog Inspection Station?

Moderator: Mod Squad

GreasyNRusty

Anybody Here Work For A Texas Smog Inspection Station?

Post #1 by GreasyNRusty » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:45 pm

I have questions for a Harris County, Texas, vehicle emissions inspection technician:

I have a 1991 F-150; is this vehicle, being over 26 years old, now exempt from the emissions regulation?

Originally, it had a 4.9L OBD-I system; I swapped in a diesel 'bout 10 or so years ago after I blew up the 4.9L :nono: , and the only problem I had at inspection time was that the inspector plain ol' didn't want to inspect an OBD-I vehicle; once he'd listened to it and realized that coffee-can-fulla-rocks sound he heard wasn't a crankcase full of marbles, he'd do something magical (and legal) and pass it with a safety inspection only, no emission inspection on diesels required for 1991 vehicles.

Puzzled inspection guy: "Hey, that's a diesel in there! How'd it get in there? The VIN sez it was gas?"
Me (acting stupid)(no problem): " :duh: "

Well, that Dodge/Cummins is a fabulous engine, but it is simply too heavy (1,100 pounds!) for the front end and doesn't get anywhere near the MPG to justify $2.75+ diesel fuel anymore. I was daydreaming swapping back to a carbureted gasoline I-6 (the EFI system and wiring is long gone).

Would this nostalgia gasoline retrofit have a prayer of getting inspected?

Eddie
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 3" Blower Pulley, Headers
1991 F-150, 5.9 Cummins, A/A .73 O/D, T-19 4-spd., 3.07 (!)
1962 Royal Enfield "Constellation"