Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Cover for Timing Gear Cover

Moderator: Mod Squad

DrumRod

Cover for Timing Gear Cover

Post #1 by DrumRod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:17 pm

I've really never liked the timing gear cover on our engines so about 2 yrs ago I made a cover for the cover out of 3/8 aluminum using a bull nose router bit and my wood router. I am not a machinist but tried it anyway. Well, the idea was worth the effort but the biggest mistake was aligning the grooves up with the fan belt instead of perpendicular to the ground as the oil filter cover grooves were. After I was done a friend of mine saw it and wanted to make me another one correcting my mistakes - he has a milling machine in his garage! The attached pic shows his unbelievable skills! The new cover is attached by 3 5/16th bolts just like the stock timing gear cover, but longer bolts. The black spacers are 5/16 x about 7/8 long. However, the drilled holes in the new cover are 3/8 for the 5/16th bolts to give some wiggle room in adjusting away from the fan belt. Hope this gives ideas to others, but please, make a wood pattern first!

BTW, took my 27T to the LA Roadster Show on Saturday. I was the only inline 6 there! I did see a Buick inline 8 flathead. People would come over to look and the main comment was 'Man, its so nice to see an inline instead of a sbc!' About 500 pre 1936 roadsters were there.

DrumRod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
27 T HiBoy BB6 C6

Max_Effort

Re: Cover for Timing Gear Cover

Post #2 by Max_Effort » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Looks nice.

That would be an easy product for a CNC shop to make a run of.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #3 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Spiffy.

My son sent me pictures taken at last weekend's Cars-and-Coffee in San Clemente of a Hudson Hornet with the original flathead six (308 ci, I believe) and two shaft driven McCullough-type superchargers feeding twin carbs. Talk about Twin-H Power!
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

DrumRod

Post #4 by DrumRod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm

FTF, glad you like the timing gear cover, just something different.

I have seen that Hudson Hornet a few times at the Donut Derelicts Saturday car gathering. Besides looking simply fantastic the sounds it makes are incredible! I was hoping to see him run the Hudson at the Antique Drag meet here at the California Speedway this last May, also first time for my T. Can you believe it was rained out! Never happens here in SoCal.

DrumRod
27 T HiBoy BB6 C6

CNC-Dude

Post #5 by CNC-Dude » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:20 pm

I actually just got through modeling up a 2 pc. finned timing cover for the 240/300's. I'm making the patterns now and should have some ready towards the end of summer.