Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

Looking For USA Made HEI Distributor

Moderator: Mod Squad

old28racer

Looking For USA Made HEI Distributor

Post #1 by old28racer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:42 pm

My 1971 F250 300 motor currently has a point & condenser distributor. I want to change it out to a electronic distributor. My first choice would be to install a 1261 Pertronix unit in my existing distributor. The problem is the distributor bushings are wore out and unit needs to be rebuilt before I install the pertronix parts.

As time is of importance I would like to be able to drop in a new unit. Pertronix does not make a plug/play unit for the 240/300 motor only the parts to convert it.

I can go with a new fresh HEI plug/play unit but I can not find any made in "USA" units out there. I do not want to make all the wiring changes needed to install a DSI 1 or 2 unit. I already have a relay installed to feed full 12 volt to a unit.

I really want a "Made In USA" unit if I can as I have had it with cheep overseas junk.
Bad Day Racing Is Better Than A Day In The Stands :mrgreen:

pmuller9

Re: Looking For USA Made HEI Distributor

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Davis Unified is probably the best are you going to get.
The company is out of Memphis Tennessee.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui- ... /overview/

1986F150six

Post #3 by 1986F150six » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Forum member wsa111 sells this type of distributor and offers recurving. I do not know the point of origin for the ones he sells, but you can ask him.

Max_Effort

Post #4 by Max_Effort » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 pm

1986F150six wrote:Forum member wsa111 sells this type of distributor and offers recurving. I do not know the point of origin for the ones he sells, but you can ask him.

Bill Ambler posted that he no longer sells the HEI. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79883

I’m not certain where the parts used to assemble a Davis DUI come from (county of origin) either. I don’t find a statement on the website.

old28racer

Post #5 by old28racer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49 pm

pmuller9 -- Paul, thanks for the reply. I agree that DUI is probably one of the better places to pickup a HEI distributor. I think you can get any replacement parts through them also.

1986F150six & Max_Effort -- Thanks for your replies, I will try to PM wsa111 and see if he is selling any other type of distributor that might work. Am I correct that his name is Bill Ambler ?

Econoline

Post #6 by Econoline » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm

What about DSII, an HEI module and a TFI coil? That's what I'm running on my 250. You can get the TFI block mount from a pick a part late model EFI 300.
It ain't gonna fix itself

old28racer

Post #7 by old28racer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Econoline -- Are you saying a DSII distributor, a HEI module, TFI coil? Can it be wired without a factory harness? This F250 300 stuff is new to me. Do you have any pictures of the parts?

BigBlue94

Post #8 by BigBlue94 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:24 pm

The Davis unit I'm running is great. I did have to sand down the seat area where it goes into the block. It was about .002 too big.

The TFI coil will bolt right to the bracket I sent you, if you go that route.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

BigBlue94

Post #9 by BigBlue94 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 pm

I should add that even with a carb, one pump on the gas and it starts almost as soon as you turn the key.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

sdiesel

Post #10 by sdiesel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Econoline wrote:What about DSII, an HEI module and a TFI coil? That's what I'm running on my 250. You can get the TFI block mount from a pick a part late model EFI 300.

agreed.
for less than 50.
or maybe 100 if parts are hard to find.
unlikely.
the BW brand from carquest and others is trustworthy.
it's borg warner u.s. made HEI trigger module.
it's truly the way to go only disadvantage-no srart up timing retard.
they will work on virtually any dist.
I use it on my mopar too.

I cannot say u.s. made is any better than mexico or taiwan, but it is an improvement over China
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

DrumRod

Post #11 by DrumRod » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 pm

I have had a DUI for several years and have had no issues. It’s basically a Chevy hei with a ford body so just about any auto store will have parts. Was real easy to install and has a minimum of wires, very clean looking install.

Drumrod
27 T HiBoy BB6 C6

Backwoodswalker375

Post #12 by Backwoodswalker375 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:43 pm

I have used 3 off "fleabay". 1 in my truck, 1 in my sons and 1 in a friends. Mine is 3 years old. My sons and other is 2. Changed all electrical to neihoff first thing. No complaints so far. I think they are all a crapshoot any more. Good and bad in every make. Whatever you get make sure you get it recurved to your application. Makes a difference.

old28racer

Post #13 by old28racer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 pm

Who does good recurving? What information do they need to do my unit? Cost range?

Econoline

Post #14 by Econoline » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 pm

old28racer wrote:Econoline -- Are you saying a DSII distributor, a HEI module, TFI coil? Can it be wired without a factory harness? This F250 300 stuff is new to me. Do you have any pictures of the parts?

The wiring is pretty simply but if you want to do it right it requires a little work. You'll want to add a relay thrown by the ignition switch to power the ignition system from a fused line right to battery or the fuse panel with a good new 14ga wire or better, I'd use 12g for the feeder to the relay from the battery or panel. You can get the pigtail for the tfi coil from your local store for $4-8.

You'll need to cut off the plug from the distributor and replace it, I'd use an MSD style plug like this:
https://www.holley.com/products/electrical/connectors/parts/8824

Anything would do, but that gives you a direct path to a very common connector. You don't need the ground wire. The distributor is already grounded via the block and clamp. The HEI module needs to be grounded but it doesn't have to be with that black wire from the DSII. And the hei module needs to be mounted to some kind of heatsink with some h/s paste.

Good luck.

Also, twist the wires from the connector to the module. If you take 2 long lengths of wire and clamp one set of ends in your vise and chuck up the other ends into your drill or vise grips you can twist them up nice and use that pair for the pickup signal wires. 16 ga is good or you can buy shielded twisted pair 16 ga wire and connect one end of the shield to ground if you want to be damned sure the pickup signal is good. Connect the bare tinned wire to ground on one end only. You can connect the film as well if you want but only on the same end. Seal the other end off with some heat shrink around the other wires insulating the shield wire and foil.

old28racer

Post #15 by old28racer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Well guys to test how well I might like a HEI distributor I am going to install the unit I picked up on Fleebay a year ago for the 300 motor I am building in my garage. It has a set of springs to control advance rate and set of stops to control max advance btdc. The unit is new, never used, it does not have a adjustable vacuum advance canister.

I am going to send the unit out to Faron Rhoads at Total Performance Enterprises to have the unit recurved for my F250 300 and my driving style. May have an adjustable vacuum canister installed while it is there.

Then when I get it back I will recheck base timing that I want at 12* btdc and the full open advance at 34-36* btdc. After that I will retest my city & highway mileage to see what my new numbers are. Like I said before, not looking for a ton from my cruising barn door but I hope 10-12 city & 16-17 highway.

sdiesel

Post #16 by sdiesel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:01 am

on my sixes, I have found that the entire engine needs to be in harmony b4 I got any returns.

fuel, ignition, exhaust, all working together to propel you along in fine fashion.
one or the other or the third out of synch -my engines get unhappy.
18-20 should be achievable, all things considered.

question concerning shielded wire I'm confused. from the connector to the hei module?, the connector at the distributor?
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

old28racer

Post #17 by old28racer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:54 am

Not sure what your question is? Can you add a bit more information.

Econoline

Post #18 by Econoline » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:42 pm

With an HEI you don't have to worry about it b/c it's ann self contained within the distributor. But with a DSII you need, or should have, a twisted pair(doesn't have to be shielded) from the distributor connection to the module. The purple and orange wires. Not the black wire. And they should be routed away from the plug wires.

old28racer

Post #19 by old28racer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for the wiring information. I am not sure if I will go pertronix, HEI or DSII.
Going to try my new HEI that I have to see if I like this type of unit.

Econoline

Post #20 by Econoline » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:49 pm

That sounds like a good plan, especially since you've already got it right there to swap in. One and done. It's like prep for the swap.