Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Results, Chevy rockers, EFI manifolds, clutch fan, new Carter YF

Moderator: Mod Squad

Jesse73

Results, Chevy rockers, EFI manifolds, clutch fan, new Carter YF

Post #1 by Jesse73 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post up some positive results since you all helped me so much with my truck.

To recap so far, I have changed the head gasket and added a clutch fan, set of EFI exhaust manifolds, Chevy ratio stamped steel rockers, 2.5 inch complete exhaust, and put on a new Carter YF replica carb from Mike's. This is on a 240 ci

Performance wise, the truck runs very strongly now. I think bang for the buck wise putting on the EFI and 2.5 inch exhaust was the most noticeable improvement in acceleration and better power at cruising speeds. The clutch fan helped A LOT with the fuel economy. I was tracking about 9-10 mpg doing city driving. The fan got me to about 12 mpg city and the carb helped even more. Now I'm getting 13-14 city and around 18 mpg on the highway.

The Chevy ratio rockers, well, it's hard to say but I think when cruising at speed up a hill the truck is more likely to maintain the same speed. Which follows, it is probably breathing better at increasing RPMs. Hard to notice much cruising flat ground however.

I still need to work on tuning the carb a little, and a new distributor will be needed. That will probably be all that's done this summer. I would really like to also add a fan shroud before we move in the fall to make sure I won't overheat when towing.

Thanks again to everyone!

pmuller9

Re: Results, Chevy rockers, EFI manifolds, clutch fan, new Carter YF

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks for the report!
We all appreciate when someone reports results so we can find out what worked and what didn't work as well.
The feedback is what adds to the wealth of this forum.
Great Job!

sandboxer

Post #3 by sandboxer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:28 pm

pmuller9 wrote:Thanks for the report!
We all appreciate when someone reports results so we can find out what worked and what didn't work as well.
The feedback is what adds to the wealth of this forum.
Great Job!

DITTO
We all sure benefit

Jesse73

Post #4 by Jesse73 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:04 am

Thanks guys.

It did run like a scalded cat with the stock Carter YF, but I had issues with that carb being worn out. Top rpm power is improved with the replacement from Mike's, although acceleration from 20-40 mph is down. I'm sure I just need to tinker with the metering rod a little or possibly change jet sizes.

I think if I add an overdrive I will also install 3.90 gears in the rear end. I think this little engine would really rip with that combo. Ideally I would like 60-65 to be right in the power band for towing.

Can't wait to finish my hitch project and hook up a loaded trailer. I'm hoping for better towing manners now.

68Flareside240

Post #5 by 68Flareside240 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:46 am

Good info. Mike's seems to be the man when it comes to the YF(A). Follow his information on adjusting the carb, from what I saw on his site alot of the "factory" settings on float and metering rod are a little off. I wasn't able to tell much with the Chevy rockers other than a change to the exhaust note. What fan/clutch did you put on there? I may do the same as mines screams like a banshee at high RPMs

Jesse73

Post #6 by Jesse73 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 am

68Flareside240 wrote:Good info. Mike's seems to be the man when it comes to the YF(A). Follow his information on adjusting the carb, from what I saw on his site alot of the "factory" settings on float and metering rod are a little off. I wasn't able to tell much with the Chevy rockers other than a change to the exhaust note. What fan/clutch did you put on there? I may do the same as mines screams like a banshee at high RPMs

I need to check in with Mike's and see what my tuning options are. It acts like it needs a bit more fuel pulling away. I'll get it soon enough.

The fan clutch I bought I believe is this GMB 9302300 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 67&jsn=556

*NOTE I did have to add several thin shims under the bronze bushing to keep it from seating fully in the centering hole. My fan pulley did not have much of a boss or centering pin. I had shims that fit perfectly into the fan mount hole that holds the brass centering bushing flush with the top of the hole/mounting surface. Otherwise the fan spun out of center immediately.

I matched the clutch with this Derale 17117 six blade fan https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-17117

Fit perfectly. I also have a slightly oversized radiator ordered from rock auto. Maybe econoline sized?

-Jesse

Jesse73

Post #7 by Jesse73 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 am

Another update.

Took a large load of stuff for a 3 hour hilly drive at as close to 60 as I could manage. Probably around 1000 lbs of stuff plus two ladders on the rack. Averaging the miles between what the odometer says with Google maps I got 15.94 mpg. Basing the miles strictly on google maps the truck got 16.55 mpg. I would say that is not bad for a little 240 without overdrive!

Going after ignitition system next...
-Jesse

jason832

Post #8 by jason832 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:04 pm

I just got back this morning from a 3100km round trip. Averaged 15 us mpg cruising at 70mph, half the trip is rolling hills.

Engine: Hyper pistons, Clifford intake, Clifford shorty headers, 625 street demon carb, comp 268 cam, stock ds2 ignition, 8.8ish compression, 160 thermostat, stock clutch fan.

Truck: 85 f150 2 door long box, 35" mud terrains, 4" lift, 4x4, np435, 3.08 gears 1800rpm @62mph, ~700lb cargo. (I've also gotten 16.5 us mpg with 3.55 gears and a 2200lb trailer at 60mph)

With proper timing, gears and carb tuning some real mpg can be had with a 300.