Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

1989 F150, 4.9 Fuel system and Ignition do over.

Moderator: Mod Squad

63 Sprint

1989 F150, 4.9 Fuel system and Ignition do over.

Post #1 by 63 Sprint » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:28 pm

I was given a 1989 F150 With 69,000 miles from an older couple. When they ran it was taken care of very well. The husband wound up with Alzheimer’s about 7 years ago and about six years ago the truck was parked and was not started up since.
both tanks were full of gas and when I removed the gas cap the odor was so strong I realized the gas was bad. Both gas filler spouts were rusted and when I started to drain the tanks the gas was dark brown with lots of rust, sludge and scale. I put a scope down the tanks and I never saw such a mess. The bed was taken off and both tanks were removed and a new rear tank with a complete fuel pump assembly was installed. The mid tank was deleted and the dual tank reservoir was changed over to a single tank reservoir. The fuel system was flushed before hooking up to the fuel rack and than when everything was good it was than hooked up and cycled. The pressure was good. Well I started up the engine and it ran horrible. Pulled the codes.
the parts in question were EGR valve, map sensor, throttle position sensor, O2 sensor and coolant temp sensor.

Tested:

O2 sensor. (Bad) replaced
map sensor. Seemed ok but replaced anyways.
throttle position sensor. (Bad) replaced
coolant temp sensor. (Bad) replaced
EGR valve not closing (Bad) replaced

Ran the truck the truck ran very rough. Replaced spark plugs, cap and rotor. Started still ran rough. Found that the wire harness near the ECU plug was eaten, urined on, mouse dung all over it. What a mess!!! So I cut soldered and heat shrinked new wire in damaged spots.
Well I started it up and and it still ran rough. Cleared all the codes and finally got a code 11. I thought I had it licked. Well I started it up and it ran rough for 15 miles and it started settling down. Then I noticed a cylinder was not firing properly at times. So pulled the injectors and what a mess!!! 4 were leaking. Had them rebuilt and installed them. Fuel rail was ultrasonic cleaned and tested. Took it out for another run and ran rough for another 15 miles then started running better. Well it turned out the ECU is bad also. It’s not storing data in memory once the engine is shut off. I also noticed that thermatic tube is corroded and has holes in it. Now this is Stainless Steel!!! The EGR tube is cracked at the exhaust manifold. And the air pump is bad.

Well, I’m tired. I made the decision that keeping the Trucks ignition system and multi port fuel injection system is going to be a money pit. And parts are getting harder to find. So I removed the intake manifold, thermatic tube, air pump, fuel rack and injectors EGR system.

i will be installing either a Carberator or throttle body Holley Sniper System and I would like to here from members about their experiences with these systems. The engine will stay stock. The truck has 3.08 gears with the mazda 5speed. It will tow light loads. 3000lbs tops. The truck will be ran in city and highway.

I’m looking at an Offenhauser or Clifford 4barrel manifold. If going Carberator will the Offenhauser DP be a better option? Which carb, Holley 390 or Edelbrock 500 CFM AVS2? Question, will the Edelbrock 500 CFM AVS2 be too large for my needs. I worked on Holley and carter carbs so I understand how to set them up. I want to get as much feedback before the purchase. I’m sort of leaning towards Edelbrock but, I want to hear from others and make a decision based on as much info I can come up with.

I’ve been reading up on the Sniper systems from Holley. Thinking of the 2300 system or the 1100 system. The 1100 would most likely use the one barrel intake. But will it be enough? The 2300 system will use either the Offenhauser or the Clifford open plenum manifolds. One advantage to the 2300 is it has two injectors. If one malfunctions or gets plugged it should still be able to get me home.

The ignition system will most likely be a DUI.

The exhaust will stay with the EFI manifolds. The cat will stay on and an EGR System will be fitted. It’s there and no reason to touch it. Edelbrock makes an EGR plate for 2300 2 barrel and 4 barrel that will fit the 500 CFM AVS2.

i normally would not invest this much in an old truck but this truck is tight, no rust, no accidents and interior is very clean. If done right it should last for years and be very reliable.

Henry

pmuller9

Re: 1989 F150, 4.9 Fuel system and Ignition do over.

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 pm

I'm keeping this short.
No Offenhauser DP and certainly no DUI.

Use the Clifford or Offenhauser "C" intake manifold with the Holley Sniper EFI 2300.
Let the Sniper control your ignition timing using a locked DS2 distributor for the trigger and have the Sniper trigger an MSD 6A or 6AL.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1557 ... st18225044

sdiesel

Post #3 by sdiesel » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:26 pm

pmuller9 wrote:I'm keeping this short.

Use the Clifford or Offenhauser "C" intake manifold with the Holley Sniper EFI 2300.
Let the Sniper control your ignition timing using a locked DS2 distributor for the trigger and have the Sniper trigger an MSD 6A or 6AL.

short, sweet and right on the money!!

Furthermore, if you are in Oregon, I will from u, purchase all efi components, can money legal tender
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

BigBlue94

Post #4 by BigBlue94 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:40 pm

AbandonedBronco is running the 2300 sniper 2bbl on a open plane intake with a locked DUI. It ran really well when i rode in it. Really smooth power transfer. Much better than my carbed engine with similar stats.

He had some issue with the timing weights in the DUI. His success with the sniper and premature wear with the DUI has me regretting using the DUI and a carb. But thats 800 bucks spent so im running it for the time being.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

63 Sprint

Post #5 by 63 Sprint » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:15 pm

pmuller9, thanks for the info. As your aware, I posted here and on ford-trucks. I was not quite sure which place would be best to post about my project.

I thought for quite a while and before I started buying parts to do the conversion I wanted to make sure the engine is in good shape. The engine has good oil pressure when hot, it does not over heat and no noises that is normally heard when parts are worn. The last thing to do is to do a compression test on all cylinders. The trucks been sitting and not ran for the past three weeks.

I just finished and here are the results:
Compression test on 1989 Ford F-150 4.9 EFI, (cold, dry)
#1- 157
#2- 160
#3- 157
#4- 157
#5- 165
#6- 159

It looks like the engine is in good shape to start with the project.
At this moment I’m trying to understand how the Sniper System will control the Dura-Spark ll distributor with a MSD 6AL.
This is new territory for me and I will need help in understanding how everything will work, and how to install and set everything up to make the system work properly.

Been old school for the last 45 years and now it’s time for change. In a way this project is exciting. Another opportunity to learn. I am looking forward getting this project rolling.

Thanks again,

Henry
Last edited by 63 Sprint on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

63 Sprint

Post #6 by 63 Sprint » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:22 pm

BigBlue94 wrote:

AbandonedBronco is running the 2300 sniper 2bbl on a open plane intake with a locked DUI. It ran really well when i rode in it. Really smooth power transfer. Much better than my carbed engine with similar stats.

He had some issue with the timing weights in the DUI. His success with the sniper and premature wear with the DUI has me regretting using the DUI and a carb. But thats 800 bucks spent so im running it for the time being.

BigBlue94, Thank you for posting your experience riding in AbandonedBronco vehicle. This is encouraging!

Henry

63 Sprint

Post #7 by 63 Sprint » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:26 pm

sdiesel wrote:

Furthermore, if you are in Oregon, I will from u, purchase all efi components, can money legal tender

sdiesel, your a ways from me. I will certainly have lots of parts taken off.

pmuller9

Post #8 by pmuller9 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:48 pm

The distributor gets locked out so the mechanical and vacuum advance no longer function.
The Sniper 2300 gets the fixed timing signal from the DS2 distributor through the violet and dark green wires.
The Sniper then controls the timing from the timing map you set up in the Sniper's software.
The Sniper then sends the timing signal to the MSD box through the white wire.

See page 27 for the distributor lock out procedure.
See bottom of page 30 for the MSD wiring.

https://documents.holley.com/199r11321.pdf

63 Sprint

Post #9 by 63 Sprint » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:18 pm

Thank you for the info, I’ve been reading all night. Great learning! I have a question, can I use the Ford TFI distributor that is on my engine? I believe it has a locked rotor shaft.

I tried posting a wiring diagram but it would not take.

pmuller9

Post #10 by pmuller9 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:30 am

63 Sprint wrote:Thank you for the info, I’ve been reading all night. Great learning! I have a question, can I use the Ford TFI distributor that is on my engine? I believe it has a locked rotor shaft.

I tried posting a wiring diagram but it would not take.

The Ford TFI distributor has a hall effect sensor that requires power plus it puts out a 12 volt square wave that may not be compatible with the Sniper's trigger input.

The DS2 put's out the compatible magnetic sensor signal plus the DS2 has a large cap which is safer against crossfire in a high energy ignition system like the MSD.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #11 by xctasy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:49 am

63 Sprint wrote:Thank you for the info, I’ve been reading all night. Great learning! I have a question, can I use the Ford TFI distributor that is on my engine? I believe it has a locked rotor shaft.

viewtopic.php?t=80462

xctasy wrote:
jamyers wrote:Wait..."TFi is internally fitted with a Hall Effect sensor"
In the distributor? I thought you said it used a crank wheel - now I'm confused.

Back to the original question, what's the simplest way to get a square-wave (Hall Effect) signal for triggering an ignition system?

Grab a TFi distributor, and an weld up the sixth index if its a sequential distributor.

Like Danny Cabral's Administrator Holley site

the eight shutter blades/windows must all be the same width.
Ford TFI has one narrower blade for #1 cylinder identification, so some modification is required.

This is easily resolved by welding a small piece of sheet metal to the one narrower blade, making it the same width as the others.
Or simply trim (cut) the other seven blades to the same width. Ensure you trim (cut) the right side, so all windows are the same.

http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

All Fords pre OBD2 4.9's were every second cylinder were batched or gang fired. So no Dual Synch Distributor.

Here is how pmuller9 described it.

pmuller9 wrote:xctasy

That's what I was wondering about.
The later Ford 4.9 distributors are solid, no mechanical or vacuum advance.
Just a simple rotor with gates and a Hall Effect sensor.
The signal should be stable (Without Scatter)

Again, the https://forums.holley.com/ Holley forum is truly excellent, with reliable support

but IMHO, a little bit retarded on magnetic prox sensors which Ford was using in the Duraspark III distributor cars since 1980 to 1983. (My back ground is VR and Magnetic Proximity sensors from Road engineering and Factory Magnetic tracing in the food industry.)

Since Most TFi's are Dual Synch from Sequential Injection 5.0's, and not the Bank fire trucks, Holley's tech support and admin Don't recommend TFi interfaces with Holley Sniper EFi.

That's not because it won't interface, its because too many Holley EFi users have had problems with them.

Yes, You can use the TFi module, but its a little bit of work, and most conversions are for cars which were originally dual synch TFi, not the alternate bank fire the 4.9 six . 5.0/5.8 and 7.8 truck and Van use.

Danny Cabral is on record

no longer advocate using the Ford TFI or GM small cap HEI distributors, because too many (but not all) Holley EFI users have had problems with them.

The Holley Dual Sync distributor (with two Hall-Effect sensors) is specifically designed and "plug & play" for Holley EFI. But replacement parts are the problem, with many EFi prospects stuck with the wrong kind of OEM replacement TFi distributor that won't produce a reliable signal. That's the rule, rather than the exception.

Danford1's method shows you how to into the Dual Synch distributor.

see https://forums.holley.com/showthread.ph ... nfo-needed

My solution is to use the 5.0 6-1/2 inch iron reluctor wheel and the you can use the stock Duraspark, and control the spark with an early 1980 to 1985 Crank Position sensor with 3 prongs instead of four. The truck and passenger stuff was indexed around a 6-1/2" Crank Position Sensor with four prongs and a C1963 control system found under Duralast SU213.

All the Holley guys who have been trying to invoke brain dead 1 and 2-bbl throttle body EFi have been scratching their heads to understand how the early Hall effect works.

On the 5.0 2-bbl CFi and thr 351M Feedback carb Broncos and F150'S, these used the same trigger method as the TFI ignition systems, and did so for two or three years of the Duraspark III/ EECIII engines. So an external Prox sensor can be added if you ever get into any grief.

I'd try gutting the TFi module like Danford1, and just Have a Go.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #12 by xctasy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:01 am

If your a believer, use a Meat cleaver....

https://forums.holley.com/showthread.ph ... nfo-needed

danford1 wrote:I was reading this old thread about modifying a Ford TFI distributor to work with a Sniper. (Old thread here: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...fi+distributor.) I can modify the shutter wheel no problem. My questions are with setup & wiring. From what I gather, you don't need the TFI module. How do I just wire up the Hall-Effect trigger? What wires go where? I'm doing this so the Sniper EFI can control my timing. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Danford1

danford1 wrote:What I did was cut open the module with a fine tooth dremel saw blade. I guessed at how it was put together and was right. I pried off the top and saw the circuit board and 3 contacts with wires from the terminals. The circuit board had a thick layer of goo on it. It was clear, but very soft & gooey, like thick snot.
I removed as much of the schmoo as I could, and cut the wires at the circuit board. I scrapped the wires so I could make good clean solder connections. I then cut the end off the connector, I'll file that smooth and round off the edges to make it look like it was meant to be. Then I cut a relief notch in the bottom for the wires to exit (I didn't take pictures of the wires...) I can re-attach the top lid with black RTV when I'm through and it will look just fine. Here are some pics of the process:

XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

pmuller9

Post #13 by pmuller9 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:36 am

Even if you get the TFI distributor to work with the Sniper you still have a small cap distributor, not something you want to use with the MSD ignition.
The large cap Duraspark distributor gives much better isolation between cap terminals and still it is advised to use low resistance spiral wound plug wires to reduce the electrical tension on the cap.

63 Sprint

Post #14 by 63 Sprint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Makes sense about using the TFI unit. I want the least amount of headaches so I’m dropping the idea of using it. Great learning here, thanks everyone.

I have questions about another distributor. I don’t know much about it so I figured it might be a good time to ask about it. I was reading about a distributor from Progression Ignition. https://progressionignition.com/shop/ol ... istributor Does anyone know anything about them? I would like to hear If anyone has any experience with them. It all sounds good, but I’ve read about other hypes before and it turned out the product fell short on doing what the company claims.

pmuller9

Post #15 by pmuller9 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:36 pm

First; It is way to expensive.

Second; The HEI including the DUI are not ideal for the Ford 300 six or any other engine that spends most of it's time operating at low rpm.
At low rpm the dwell time is very long and HEI module spends the majority of it's time in current regulation mode and the coil spends a long time in saturation.
The wasted energy during this period has to be dissipated in the form of heat so both the module and the coil run hot decreasing spark energy and shortening both module and coil life.
At high rpm the dwell time is short enough to keep the module out of current regulation and the coil out of saturation. Life is good again but the 300 six doesn't live at that rpm level.

A Capacitive discharge system like the MSD does not involve charging a coil to saturation so the current to the coil is not restricted and the spark current is many times more than the conventional inductive discharge system.
Capacitive discharge is better suited for low rpm work especially since MSD provides multiple sparks for most of the operation rpm range of the 300 six.

63 Sprint

Post #16 by 63 Sprint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:59 pm

It looks like the best option would be the DS2 with the MSD6AL. Everyone’s feedback is appreciated. It looks like the ignition system components that will be used are worked out.

The next thing that I need to choose on is the intake manifold. Offenhauser C vs Clifford Single Carb Intake Manifold. I know, :roll: This has been talked about for years and I hope I don’t start something here. All I’m trying to find out is in light of everything discussed about these two manifolds that is there new findings on which might possibly work better with the Holley Sniper 2300 two barrel setup.

I’m surprised the possibility of use of Carberator has not been discussed. The reason I’m bringing this up is, I noticed that Edelbrock 500 CFM prices seem quite reasonable and it’s tempting. Had pretty good success with Edelbrock performer setups in the past and I do enjoy setting them up. The Holley 390 carb is not that bad also but much more cost and time is required to set them up right.

Henry

pmuller9

Post #17 by pmuller9 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 pm

There is a 3rd manifold with long runners specifically for a 2 barrel.
https://www.youronlinespeedshop.com/pro ... old-as0524

The Edelbrock AVS2 500 with annular discharge is a nice carburetor but is on the large side for a stock 300

One of the Autolite 2100/2150 carbs work well with a stock 300 but to tune a carb correctly you need to add an Air/Fuel ratio meter so you don't have to guess.
Then if you drive some distance with significant elevation changes the carb will not adjust.
There have been cases here where the driver made jet changes to get across high territory then changed back on the other side.

63 Sprint

Post #18 by 63 Sprint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:39 pm

Wow! :) one question I would have, is it too long to fit? I would have to get some measurements.

On rejetting, I’ve been there. Worked in Gunnison Colorado back in the 80’s and drove to N.Y. (back home) once a month for a year and a half. That was when I had a Chevy p/u with a 350. I just installed Edelbrock performer manifold and carb setup. Learned how to rejet the carb Pretty quickly. And, now days, there could be times that I should rejet. Thanks for bringing it up,
Last edited by 63 Sprint on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

63 Sprint

Post #19 by 63 Sprint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 pm

Just found the dimensions for the 2 barrel manifold. 11.3” from head to widest point on carb pad. Measure the truck tomorrow.

pmuller9

Post #20 by pmuller9 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:45 pm

Aussiespeed makes some nice stuff.

63 Sprint

Post #21 by 63 Sprint » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:27 am

I would like to thank everyone for the input you all given. All of you put me in a situation where I sat down and did quite a bit of homework before I start purchasing parts.
I had a good day reading and thinking, I would like to get some input on my thoughts of moving forward with this project.
This is the plan, I need to get the truck running because my 2004 F350 with the 5.4 engine is on its last leg. The engine will need a complete overhaul very soon. So, at this time I am on a budget and the Holley Sniper EFI System will have to be installed later.

pmuller9, I’ve been reading about the Autolite 2100 carburetor and to my surprise the carb has Annular Fuel Discharge! This is the same technology that Edelbrock is using on their AVS2 series carburetors. Now I understand why members love the 2100.

Here is a part of what I read this evening:
Autolite 2100 carburetors were made from 1953–1973. They are a synchronous two venturi (barrel) design, meaning both venturii operate together. There are eight different sizes ranging from 190 cfm to 424 cfm. They are available with manual, electric, or automatic hot-air chokes. They incorporate a feature called Annular Fuel Discharge, which greatly reduces the likely-hood of hesitation and flat spots under acceleration. They use the standard Holley bolt pattern (same as Holley two barrels).
Size is determined by the diameter of the venturii. This can be found cast into the float chamber side. It will be a number in a circle, with the number being the venturi size in inches.
0.098 - 190 cfm, 1.01 - 240 cfm, 1.02 - 245 cfm, 1.08 - 287 cfm, 1.14 - 300 cfm, 1.21 - 351 cfm, 1.23 - 356 cfm, 1.33 - 424 cfm

It seems like the 2100 would be a good match but I could use some help to figure out which size would be a good match.
I figured one of these sizes 1.02 - 245 cfm, 1.08 - 287 cfm, 1.14 - 300 cfm, but which would be best for my application? The truck has 235/75/15 tires, 3.08 rear axle, M5OD-R2 transmission. There will be times that I will be pulling a camping trailer. Roughly 3000 Lbs. Towing the camping trailer on open roads and freeways. Forth gear will be used when towing. The calculated engine RPM at 55mph will be close to 2000. At 70mph the RPM will be close to 2500. In 5th gear, the engine will be turning close to 1600 RPM at 55mph. And 2000 at 70mph. Over drive will only be used for for cruising. (No towing) The MSD 6AL will be set to limit the RPM’s to 3800. I could also use help to find a reputable place that remanufactures or rebuilds them, or NOS, and last resort is find a good used one that I can rebuild.

I made the decision that the ignition system will be made up of the DS2 distributor with the MSD 6AL. I think I will need the DS2 distributor to have mechanical and vacuumed advance until the Holley Sniper System is installed. Is this correct?

pmuller9, About the intake manifold, that manifold looks good. I spent some time this evening taking some measurements in the engine compartment and there is plenty of room and it looks like it will be an easy install. It’s expensive but, it might work better than the others. The extra cost getting one of these to try is ok with me.
I also found out that they have a heater box that can be mounted under the plenum. https://www.aussiespeedshop.com/product ... er-heater/
Do you think it a good idea to get one?

Henry

Note: continued adding more info during the night.
Last edited by 63 Sprint on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:57 am, edited 15 times in total.

63 Sprint

Post #22 by 63 Sprint » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:12 am

Just thought about the Aussie 2 barrel manifold. The carburetor will be further away from the exhaust manifolds. It might be easier to make a heat shield to prevent vapor lock.

63 Sprint

Post #23 by 63 Sprint » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:43 am

Just ordered 6 Thermactor Plugs for the cylinder head.
The part # is C6AZ-6052-A.

Couple small things I forgot to mention in this topic. What would be the best intake/exhaust manifold gasket to get?
And the 1989 EFI engine uses bolts and thick washers, not studs to fasten the intake and exhaust manifolds to the head. The bolt threads look somewhat different than ordinary bolts or studs. The original bolt threads are rolled, and it looks like the outside edge of the thread has a flat surface. Not a sharp pointed edge like ordinary threads have. Would it be best to try to stay with the original parts or go with high quality studs with thick washers and nuts?

Henry

63 Sprint

Post #24 by 63 Sprint » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Bill Ambler just called me and we went over what I am working on. I would like to mention that he knows his stuff on recurving Duraspark distributors. He gave me different avenues that I can take, and the benefits of how the Duraspark II distributor can be set up with my specific needs. With the sniper II system, he mentioned that I might be able to take care of it by myself. Right now I have to think on which course I’m going to take. I would like to let it be known that Bill from Ambler Race is great to work with.

Henry

63 Sprint

Post #25 by 63 Sprint » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:08 am

Oh, pmuller9, you covered everything that Bill went over with me. This forum has members with a huge amount of knowledge and lots of times with the same advice. It’s great to be part of such a forum!

Thanks,

63 Sprint

Post #26 by 63 Sprint » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Just received the Offenhauser C manifold this afternoon.
Iv’e decided to go with the Holley Sniper 2 2300 throttle body EFI. The problem is finding one.
Will be getting a Duraspark II distributor and will try locking it myself. A friend might have a spare MSD controller in his garage for his mustang. He thinks it’s the 6AL. I will go over and look at it later today.

One thing I’m trying to figure out is the manifold gasket. Which would be a good one to get?

pmuller9, thanks for the advice. I feel good about this project.

More later.

pmuller9

Post #27 by pmuller9 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:19 pm

You're welcome.
Glad to see the project moving along.

The important thing is choosing the right color throttle body.
The Black, Gold or Shiny aluminum finish.

63 Sprint

Post #28 by 63 Sprint » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 pm

Right!, I think I’ll go for shiny aluminum finish.

My friend just gave me a MSD 6AL this evening. Unfortunately it’s the black box. :roll: LOL. He said he does not need it and he said I’ve always been there for him. We’ve known each other’s family for over 20 years. I’ll pay him back some way without him knowing about it.

justintendo

Post #29 by justintendo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 pm

sdiesel wrote:

smart man, buying all the efi components from him. these efi systems are about bulletproof. i honestly believe 90 percent of the parts replaced on efi fords are misdiagnosed or guesswork replaced. tps sensors are very rare to fail, as are the injectors themselves.
96 F150 rc/sb...4.9, m5od, 2.73 gears
dual electric fan, 3g alt, kirban fpr, modified airbox, front/rear hellwig swaybars, rancho shocks, 2" rear drop, steering damper, general grabber hts, pioneer stock size speakers/head unit, mtx 8" sub behind seat, ss brake hoses, first cat followed by 3" single system w/ flowmaster 70, auto/compass/temp mirror
mobil 1 10w30 hm

63 Sprint

Post #30 by 63 Sprint » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:14 am

Hi justintendo, I appreciate your input, it might be very rare for the parts to fail but the truck had a family of mice that made this truck home for years. The wire harness was chewed up right at the ECU plug, on the fender well and right near the distributor. I’ve repaired the harness as best as I could. The truck had to be brought to a car wash and sprayed out very well because on the mess the mice made. The ECU is bad it’s not holding memory once the truck is shut off. Air pump was about to seize, Vacuum lines leaking, thermactor tube corroded, don’t ask me how, it’s stainless, I just don’t know, 4 injectors leaking and and other stuff. The truck was sitting for over six years with gas in both tanks. The gas was like brown chocolate pudding when the tanks were scoped. The fuel lines were plugged. I’m not willing to put up with a complete replacement of the original EFI and ignition system. I don’t want to deal with a system that parts are starting to get hard to get. Even mechanics that worked at Ford dealerships cussed about diagnostics on the older systems. The bottom line is the truck is getting a makeover and with the help I’m getting here I know the truck will run good enough for me and I will be able to maintain it without much work. Members here contributed their knowledge and given me sound advice and the truck will be resurrected soon.
About the original parts, they will be boxed up and stored just in case the truck needs to be sold. But I highly doubt it.

Can’t wait to get the truck running again, still working on the parts. I feel good about the progress. One thing for sure everything I removed makes it much easier to get to stuff when it needs to be worked on.

As Oddball said, have a little faith. :D
Last edited by 63 Sprint on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurboBronco

Post #31 by TurboBronco » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:41 pm

63 Sprint wrote:Right!, I think I’ll go for shiny aluminum finish.

My friend just gave me a MSD 6AL this evening. Unfortunately it’s the black box. :roll: LOL. He said he does not need it and he said I’ve always been there for him. We’ve known each other’s family for over 20 years. I’ll pay him back some way without him knowing about it.

I just purchased the shiny 550-849 2300 2 barrel Sniper EFI unit on Ebay refurbished(from Holley) for $730. It says 9 more available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Sniper- ... 2749.l2649

You can save about $150 from the new one if you are interested/
1985 Ford F250 2WD, Bone Stock 300, T18 Four Speed, OEM intake, OEM Exhaust Manifold, Autolite Single Barrel Carb; 2.5" Exhaust from firewall back, Project in Progress!!

63 Sprint

Post #32 by 63 Sprint » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:04 pm

That’s a good price.

Thank you!

63 Sprint

Post #33 by 63 Sprint » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:22 pm

The Holley Sniper will be on its way. The only other things I need to purchase I intake-exhaust manifold gasket, studs with nuts, throttle linkage and some fuel fittings. I hope the factory fuel pumps will work the truck has the low pressure pump in the tank and high pressure pump on the frame.

63 Sprint

Post #34 by 63 Sprint » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:55 pm

So far I have:
Holley Sniper 2300
Offenhauser C manifold
MSD 6AL
Duraspark 2 distributor

Items I need to purchase are:
Intake/exhaust manifold studs and nuts.
Manifold gasket
Spark plug cables
Throttle linkage
Fuel line fittings

Tomorrow morning I will start installing the ignition system.

One thing I could use help on is adapting the throttle linkage to the Sniper. If anyone knows an adapter that will work I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Henry
Last edited by 63 Sprint on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmuller9

Post #35 by pmuller9 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:15 pm

Make sure you buy low resistance spiral wound spark plugs wires.
It helps prevent the distributor cap from carbon tracking which will cause crossfire and engine damage.
MSD has the universal super conductor sets.

63 Sprint

Post #36 by 63 Sprint » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Thanks, I’ll make sure to get spiral wound cables.

63 Sprint

Post #37 by 63 Sprint » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:38 pm

Just finished installing the MSD 6AL and the Duraspark II distributor. Everything went fine. Now I’m in the process of cutting open the engine wire harness and separating the wires that operate oil pressure, temp and ac and....
I might need help finding the tach wire.

Back to it in the morning.

63 Sprint

Post #38 by 63 Sprint » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:21 pm

Sometimes things turn out right when you least expect it.

When I installed the MSD 6AL I wanted to keep it away from as much heat as possible. I wanted it easily accessible if I had to work on it. So, I removed the air cleaner box and made a plate that fastened on the bottom bracket the holds the air cleaner box. After looking at it I realized that it could get wet from water pouring through the gap between the hood and driver side fender. After thinking about it overnight I realized that I had to make a shield. Well I got up this morning and walked in the garage and proceeded to pick up my mess from the night before. I picked up the air box and I realized that I have the perfect shield in my hands. I took the bottom of the air box and tipped it upside down over the MSD 6AL and fastened it back on the original mounting bracket. It’s the perfect hood! When I’m able to spend some time and figure out how to post the pictures I took, I will edit this post.

Henry