Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Listing of known engine accoutrements needing an entrepreneur

Moderator: Mod Squad

sdiesel

Listing of known engine accoutrements needing an entrepreneur

Post #1 by sdiesel » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 pm

Please help me compile a list:

Throttle cable routing bracket for the DP manifold
Adjustable cam gear
Adjustable crank gear
Belt driven Cam
Upper plenum for EFI lower intake tubes
A GOOD Y pipe for the EGr manifolds
Good manifold clamps for turbo applications
Flange for same ; intake exhaust manifolds

Heads , of course giving accolades the world champ gramps
Last edited by sdiesel on Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

Firepower354

Re: Listing of known engine accoutrements needing an entrepreneur

Post #2 by Firepower354 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 am

If someone set up and ran a batch of multi-keyway cam and/or crank gears, would the market bear the expense?

Belt drive? Gonna run a reverse rotation cam, oil pump, distributor?

Bosal includes the cat on theirs, and the CARB compliant one is steep, but the non isn't that bad.
It gets 10MPG, but goes up to 14 if I lie.

sdiesel

Post #3 by sdiesel » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:53 am

No idea on any of your points. This is a wish list for parts, practicality aside.

Practicality would, I believe you would freely agree, mean jettisoning our entire interest in an obsolete engine in favor of something more ....practical.
As such, yes a clever fellow might sell enough crank gears, or piping parts to make a small profit with his home shop, indulging in his in-practical hobby.

It is the nature of an entrepreneur, devise ways to do just that .

sixtseventwo4d

Post #4 by sixtseventwo4d » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 pm

Your list appears as a compilation sir. Are you asking for a list compiled of part numbers to accompany your parts compilation? Or are you looking for a source for supply without so much demand? (ceremony withheld pending approval)

Soldmy66

Post #5 by Soldmy66 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:18 pm

This is probably ill-placed in this thread, but here goes:

I regularly watch a YouTube channel hosted by a man named Richard Holdener. He is a very interesting man and is probably best known for being able to coax unbelievable power (like 1500+ HP) out of turbocharged LS engines.

So why post this here? He mentioned in a broadcast yesterday that he intends on doing a buildup on a Ford 300. I certainly have no financial interest in him, but I find him to be fascinating and he appears to be one of the busiest men conducting various tests at Westech's dyno.

I don't have a 300, but I was delighted to hear that he intends on doing some dyno testing on one sometime in the next year. He has done some testing on other "less usual" engines, such as the Chevy 292, and the Pontiac 455.

So, maybe our smallish group of enthusiasts may have another source of 300-related information sometime in the next year.

I would encourage any of you that have a vested interest in certain configurations to consider reaching out to him (I have no idea how).
Last edited by Soldmy66 on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdiesel

Post #6 by sdiesel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:07 pm

sixtseventwo4d wrote:Your list appears as a compilation sir. Are you asking for a list compiled of part numbers to accompany your parts compilation? Or are you looking for a source for supply without so much demand? (ceremony withheld pending approval)

it is a compilation: an ongoing list for open ended addition by whomever might have a part they would like seen produced commercially for sale. Trading one man's labor and skill for legal tender, is a fine way to do this. This board, unlike so many other boards, plays host to a lot of really competent machinists, engineers, and cad/cam guys. Some of these parts would sell steadily, some not so.
the parts ive listed represent the "weak areas " of the 300 six, which if it were a different engine would be covered right now by multiple suppliers offering their version of the same part.

Thus, a wish list is not out of line here; on the forum that offers the most to those addicted to the little big six.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #7 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:25 am

Looking thru my tool box I see a set of home made tools specific to the 300:

damper puller (with handle)
crank insert to protect threads
spacers to install crank gear
block honing plate
flywheel lock
oil pan / decking sectioned block
pushrod for dial indicator measurements
18 mm plug adapter for leakdown meter
bellhousing installation studs

plus

a water pump gasket w/o front cover piece
A MLS head gasket
a DP throttle linage kit
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

jgregg13

Post #8 by jgregg13 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:02 pm

A couple more for your list.
- Roller cams. Or at least blanks that your local grinder can finish. Ultimately roller cam kits.
- Replacement plug and play EEC IV computer tailored for the EFI 4.9 harness. Like the Mega Squirt PNP for EEC IV Mustangs. Looks like they have the box and it just needs to be configured for the six.

But really it's tough going now that our engines have been obsolete for 25 years.

pmuller9

Post #9 by pmuller9 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 pm

jgregg13 wrote:- Roller cams. Or at least blanks that your local grinder can finish. Ultimately roller cam kits.

Bullet Cams makes 300 six roller blanks as well as custom roller grinds.
Crower recently listed roller lifters for the 300 six. I have yet to call them about roller cams.

sdiesel

Post #10 by sdiesel » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:48 pm

pmuller9 wrote:
jgregg13 wrote:- Roller cams. Or at least blanks that your local grinder can finish. Ultimately roller cam kits.

Crower recently listed roller lifters for the 300 six. I have yet to call them about roller cams.

this is good news!!!

sdiesel

Post #11 by sdiesel » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:51 pm

[quote="THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER"]Looking thru my tool box I see a set of home made tools specific to the 300"

If there is ever the opportunity to throw up some pics of those tools for posterity , there would likely be the reward of gratitude spoken or no, for your efforts!

arse_sidewards

Post #12 by arse_sidewards » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 am

jgregg13 wrote:- Replacement plug and play EEC IV computer tailored for the EFI 4.9 harness. Like the Mega Squirt PNP for EEC IV Mustangs. Looks like they have the box and it just needs to be configured for the six.

Now that I know this exists I'll almost certainly be using it when I 300 my Ranger. I'll post the tune because there's no reason not to. Just give me a few years to get around to it.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft, engine is basically stock.

66" leafs, extended radius arms, lockers in both ends, nothing special.

BigBlue94

Post #13 by BigBlue94 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:07 pm

pmuller9 wrote:

Schneider offers custom roller cams as well. Though i believe only solid lifter rollers, not hydraulic.

Snap-on used to make specific tools for specific operations on specific vehicles. At an estate sale, I acquired a spreader of sorts for use on '57 ish Fairlanes. It was in a box of random tools. Im sure you could find some for the 300 somewhere...
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

sixtseventwo4d

Post #14 by sixtseventwo4d » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 am

Tial Sport offers turbo flange adapters and v-band clamps.

guhfluh

Post #15 by guhfluh » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:15 pm

BigBlue94 wrote:
Schneider offers custom roller cams as well. Though i believe only solid lifter rollers, not hydraulic.

I've often wondered why that might be. Anyone have an idea why?
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #16 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:51 pm

There is no provision on the block for a hydraulic roller tappet.

guhfluh

Post #17 by guhfluh » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:57 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:There is no provision on the block for a hydraulic roller tappet.

I'm not sure I understand what provision it is that would be needed that wouldn't be with a mechanical roller?
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #18 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:20 pm

Roller hydraulic lifters are taller to accommodate the roller mechanism but the oil passageway in the block still needs to feed oil to the lifter, all the while still sticking up enough to allow the placement of a dogbone (a la SBF) for stabilizing alignment, but not high enough such that they will interfere with the side cover mounting bosses.

CNC-Dude

Post #19 by CNC-Dude » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 am

The cams base circle is much larger in a hydraulic roller cam than a solid roller, so often this is enough to make the lifter stand tall enough to allow the oil band on the lifter to stay in the oil feed passage. GM did this in their later Iron Duke 4 cylinder in the mid to late 1980's, They had a setup that attached to the inside of the side cover to maintain lifter alignment. I've adapted this concept to several of the 6 cylinders for guys wanting to experiment with hydraulic rollers and it works great. So developing a similar device to the Ford blocks wouldn't be a very big hurdle to achieve. I can make a dummy shaft to simulate the camshaft to confirm lifter height placement in the block and see what parts that are already available can be adapted to make it work.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #20 by xctasy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Buicks Series 2 SEFi 3000 and 3800 became the GM Powertrain 3300 and 3800.

The roller hydraulic cam couldnt take more than 500 thou at valve lift, so ACL in Australia had to make a special large journal cam. The in line six has a problem with cam bearing size, and cam twist. The Formula Holden GM3800 got the cam bearing tunnels bored out, and a larger base circle diameter cam fitted with different lifters.

Ford on the 300 moved to a different sequence of block machining. Metric bearings, and re boring the cam bearings isnt always needed if you can keep the years of crud out of them, but a custom roller sllid lifter will avoid lots of hydraulic lifter issues.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

guhfluh

Post #21 by guhfluh » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:21 pm

I still do not quite understand the problem. Roller vs roller, solid mechanical vs hydraulic. Both are utilizing link bars, not v8 factory dog bone and spider retainer. Both utilize the factory oil passage in the block for oiling. No reduced base circle cam is used to allow for a factory hydraulic roller lifter and dog bone. The 300 shares a stock lifter with v8's that can use a standard base circle cam and hydraulic roller link bar lifters, or a standard base circle cam and solid mechanical roller link bar lifters, and still oil either choice of lifter just the same.

We already know the 300 can use a solid mechanical roller cam and link bar lifters with some clearance to the side cover mounting bosses.

I have never heard that a hydraulic roller requires a larger base circle in any other applications, only that a reduced base circle cam creates lobe profile problems and limits the lobe selection to softer ramps, so does the 300 have a very small base circle to begin with compared to the v8's that causes the need to go larger when going hydraulic roller only?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #22 by bubba22349 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 am

IN the below link to an old post on Roller cams that also has details of a 300 Hydrolic Roller cam that Thad ran. Enjoy :thumbup: :nod:

Rollers
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36987#p269253
Even a bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

Current project is a 1988 John Deere 420 Garden Tractor I need a few small parts to get it fixed, plus some cosmetic items, maybe a few attachments, if you happen to have or know of JD 420 parts would welcome the help!

My Ex-Inline 6 Fleet 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

CNC-Dude

Post #23 by CNC-Dude » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Several things have changed since this discussion was started over 14 years ago. First, back then the dog bone style hydraulic roller lifters that keep being mentioned are all that was available back then. So a dog bone that matches the lifter bore spacing was going to have to be made to use that style of lifters. Today, the link bar style hydraulic roller lifter similar to what solid roller lifters uses is a new creation that is only a few years old now. One thing that has not changed is that while in the lifter crossover category, a SBF flat tappet lifter is the same as the 240 or 300, and can interchange. But now that a link bar option is available, a set of SBF solid or hydraulic roller lifters will not work in the 240 or 300. Also, all hydraulic roller cams have a larger base circle than a solid roller cam. I have been down that road before assuming that simply because a lifter will fit the lifter bore, other critical things need to be met as well. One being that the oil band may not be correctly located to work in a block the lifter was not originally designed for. Further modification to the lifter body may be necessary to satisfy the needs of the lifter. Because if the base circle is carelessly assumed to be the same as a solid roller, the lack of proper oil supply will not let the lifter function correctly because the lifter sits too far down in the lifter bore to intersect the oil passage in the block to have a steady and constant oil supply. The oil band in the lifter has to stay fully in the oil galley of the block throughout its upward and downward travel in the bore. A solid roller lifter doesn't need oil pressure to function, it is just a medium to transfer oil to the pushrods and upward to the cylinder head, so its needs are much different than a hydraulic lifter.