Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

Henry Yunicks Red Hot Vapor Engine Re-Creation

Moderator: Mod Squad

pmuller9

Re: Henry Yunicks Red Hot Vapor Engine Re-Creation

Post #101 by pmuller9 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:13 am

LOL, I meant the bottom of the lower chamber as in cylinder orientation in the direction of piston travel.
If I'm looking at this correctly, the intake ports are on the top of the engine but are more towards the crankshaft than the original design and seemingly on top of the bushing plate.

DeltaV

Post #102 by DeltaV » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:29 am

Yes, the intake charge is coming directly from underneath the piston. This should allow for an ideal volumetric flow and superior pre-charge than any other two stroke via having higher compression under the piston than usual to force the charge into the combustion chamber.

pmuller9

Post #103 by pmuller9 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:51 am

Having intake charge enter under the piston during the entire piston upward stroke and not having to pull a high vacuum like the traditional 2 stroke eliminates that particular pumping loss and results in a higher volumetric flow as you stated.

Normally a high compression under the piston is required for transfer especially as piston speed increases with rpm.
What are you doing differently during the piston down stroke to accomplish transfer?

DeltaV

Post #104 by DeltaV » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 pm

I'm just using reed valves coupled to a reduced vacuum intake coming directly under the piston to increase flow. Nothing special, really. The super low clearance/volume from the piston underside and valves allow for a higher compression than whats normally possible going through the crankcase.

pmuller9

Post #105 by pmuller9 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Perfect!

May I suggest as you benchmark this first prototype that you add a pressure sensor to the combustion chamber so you can observe the cylinder pressure versus piston position.
You will want to know when the engine is in detonation mode and if it comes out of detonation operation.
You also want to know what the detonation pulse timing is and what effects the timing.

This testing should be done on some type of dynamometer where you can apply load at various rpms.
You can put an Eddy Current Dyno together quite easily using a generator.

pmuller9

Post #106 by pmuller9 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 am

Progress report?

DeltaV

Post #107 by DeltaV » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 am

Progress Report:
I've purchased all the hardware and a small lathe for the completion of the project. The lathe is probably inadequate but its what I can afford and have room for. After 3D printing all the components. That took almost 2 months to configure the 3D printer correctly. 3D printing is hard to get right! I tried to melt enough aluminum to cast my own components but I found that after 8 hours of blown extremely hot bonfire levels of heat using logs of walnut I just could not melt enough aluminum fast enough to justify casting it myself. I thought about building my own electric arc furnace but my 100 amp breaker box can't provide enough power to do that, either. So I'll have to make the engine, hook it up to a generator and use the power from that to cast more engines. So I found a foundry that is willing to cast the block, combustion chambers, pistons, intake manifolds, cover plates, and various other components to make not just 1, but 2 prototype 49 cc engines for free. Shout out to Art Castings of Illinois for their immense generosity in assisting with the project! The castings will arrive in less than a month as of writing this. By the time the castings come in my charcoal kiln should be done, I have an anvil and will be needing a a lot of charcoal for the forging of the yoke and crankshaft. For the yoke I'll be hand forging it using old leaf springs from an F150 layered with old bandsaw blades, because I flat out lost the last piece I welded up specifically for that task :bang: . This will give me a steel thats considerably stronger than mild steel without costing an arm and a leg (good alloy steel plates 1" thick would cost a lot of money). As far as the old engine blocks go, I set them aside because the cost of a rebuild would run about 1000 dollars and I'd rather just put that money towards the Bourke engine project at this time. If you want to buy them from me I'm more than open to the idea of selling them, otherwise I'll set them aside for a future project (would make for awesome tractor engines for an old restomod tractor).

As far as sensors goes, I'll run the engine and see how it does. If its stable I'll immediately start adding sensors just about everywhere for everything hooked up to a generator that can double as a dyno. If that works well I'll just flat out go off grid with it and live stream the 24/7 operation continuously until it breaks. The other 49 cc engine I'll try to mount it on a small motorcycle to make a motorcycle that doesn't require a license plate yet can still go on the interstate.

I'll give you all pictures of the castings the day they come in the mail!