Whats the limit?

A

Anonymous

I'm new to pushrod engines(or carbs for that matter...) so be gentle. What exactly is the limiting factor with the 200 c.i. reaching 400 hp with a turbo? I want and will get 11-12 sec. DAILY DRIVEN from a 200, who has done this or why won't it happen?

Doofnoil":2edx9hpo said:
I'm new to pushrod engines(or carbs for that matter...) so be gentle. What exactly is the limiting factor with the 200 c.i. reaching 400 hp with a turbo? I want and will get 11-12 sec. DAILY DRIVEN from a 200, who has done this or why won't it happen?
there heads are less then great, they choke the engine's out because they flow like crap. turbocharging helps this but, it still shows as a limating factor. 200 hp, even 300 hp arn't out of reach with the right parts, 400 on a stock log head is possible, a member on here cranked out 450 HP out of a draw thru turbo setup 200 I6 with the log head in the early 80's, but he did it with lots of boost and avaition fuel. an OZ 250 2V head would greatly increase your chances of achiving the 400 hp goal. in the next few months, mike will release his new aluminum head, which is slightly better flowing than the OZ 250 2V head. Does 10's on here built a '63 Falcon with a TC'd 250 and the car runs in the 11's.

Doof, why not run with your strengths? If you understand EFI better, you're probably best placed to convert the motor that way. It'll take soemcreativity, but then you won't be hamstrung by carb issues.

u wont need 400hp to run 11-12's in the quarter like they said will is running 11's and he only has 283hp at the wheels but makes up for that with 450ft/lbs of torque at the wheels now it can be done rather easily if u have welding skills and mechanical skills along with alot of reading in this section and try to find posts by does10s hes the one with the turbo falcon that is runnign the 11's with a streetable car

Doofnoil":35lb8zej said:
I want and will get 11-12 sec. DAILY DRIVEN from a 200, who has done this or why won't it happen?

The buick 231 cube guys can do it easily, but they have heads that are far and away better then the factory log head.

You NEED a non log head. And MPFI will make the 400 HP mark MUCH easier to reach than trying it with a carb.

Look at the Aussie head, the Argentine head (either cast iron or aluminum) or wait for a while until Mike comes out with his aluminum head. You could also take a stock log head and have the whole side milled off and build your own custom intake and exhaust.

matt1967":35lb8zej said:
a member on here cranked out 450 HP out of a draw thru turbo setup 200 I6 with the log head

"Drag200 stang" car is NOT steetable at all. It is full race only.

Mustang Boy":35lb8zej said:
will is running 11's and he only has 283hp at the wheels...... with a streetable car

That's a 250, not a 200. And it isn't their daily driver.

Even with Mike's head, I think you're going to be making enough pressure to lift the head off the block, stretch the studs and blow the head gasket long before you reach 400 HP on a 200. The bottom end can be built to take it, but the tip end was never intended for that knd of load.

but Drag200 stang somehow is keeping his head clamped down enough to run 9's. I don't know if he still has 7/16" studs or 1/2" though.

Linc's 200":wbexy76y said:

I'll take that as a complement, Linc. I was inquiring about a new release of an aluminum explosion-proof bell housing. Gave the man all the pertinent specs. He told me they were for race cars and it wouldn't fit. He apparently quit listening after I said 200 inline six.

Yes, the car is not streetable. I do plan on attending the Dream Cruise next year :unsure::

Seriously though, the engine was built for a sunny day street car. The only change the Ak Miller street kit made was the larger carb. The forged pistons were used on the street with my tripower set up. 296 deg cam was taken out and the $50 used 266 solid lifter that I ran for 30,000 miles on the street went in. If it wasn't for the bad tune-up, I would have never had to put the aluminum rods in. When your ignition is firing on its own, at 90 deg before top, dead center, parts break.

They say that turbo boost is easier on the engine than other methods to gain performance. But then you have to stay out of detonation - its all in the tune-up.

I was using 7/16" ARP studs. New build will still use 7/16". I think changing to 1/2" studs on the thinner 200 deck would hurt more than help. The studs are stronger than the deck.

I think an early Mustang log headed with EFI could run high 11's. The stock Buick heads aren't really all that much better. Plus, they weigh 1,000 lbs. more. What I am saying is, make 300 hp, run high 11's, tell them its 400 hp. After all, they're saying they are making 700 hp going the same ET.

Linc's 200":1owgju39 said:
Doofnoil":1owgju39 said:
I want and will get 11-12 sec. DAILY DRIVEN from a 200, who has done this or why won't it happen?

The buick 231 cube guys can do it easily, but they have heads that are far and away better then the factory log head.

You NEED a non log head. And MPFI will make the 400 HP mark MUCH easier to reach than trying it with a carb.

Look at the Aussie head, the Argentine head (either cast iron or aluminum) or wait for a while until Mike comes out with his aluminum head. You could also take a stock log head and have the whole side milled off and build your own custom intake and exhaust.

matt1967":1owgju39 said:
a member on here cranked out 450 HP out of a draw thru turbo setup 200 I6 with the log head

Mustang Boy":1owgju39 said:
will is running 11's and he only has 283hp at the wheels...... with a streetable car

That's a 250, not a 200. And it isn't their daily driver.

Yes I knew Drag200stangs was not streetable, was just saying yes 400 HP was " possible "

I guess I'm getting soft in my older years what I consider streetable or not.

My standards of luxury have increased a whole bunch.

I know what you are talking about. drove my old 170 with open exhaust and no interior for about a year (no heat either....in subzero weather) now I gotta have AC radio and some sort of exhaust on the daily driver.

now the fairlane being a weekend car just has a downpipe :D

i love bein young cause as long as it can drive on the street i consider it DD material hence the reason i gave the example of will and kelly's falcon and i only wish i could drive around with open exhaust and no interior(weight reduction baby) and i also have no heat or ac and i live in florida

and if u guys give me a few years ill report to u the maximum limit these (6's can make cause i plan on pushin mine there just to see wut it can do

Mustang Boy":2lk49tfh said:
i love bein young cause as long as it can drive on the street i consider it DD material hence the reason i gave the example of will and kelly's falcon and i only wish i could drive around with open exhaust and no interior(weight reduction baby) and i also have no heat or ac and i live in florida

and if u guys give me a few years ill report to u the maximum limit these (6's can make cause i plan on pushin mine there just to see wut it can do
Will and Kelly's Falcon does have interior.

I think Justin meant that the tolerances of younger people are alot different than somone older meaning that we would drive around something with open exhaust, no interior, or ac.

hasa68mustang":ewmpdmuu said:
I think Justin meant that the tolerances of younger people are alot different than somone older

We have a winner! ^

I have become spoiled.
Long gone are the days of manual windows, manual steering, no A/C and no stereo for my "daily driver".

Linc's 200":3l11vqt3 said:
hasa68mustang":3l11vqt3 said:
I think Justin meant that the tolerances of younger people are alot different than somone older

We have a winner! ^

I have become spoiled.
Long gone are the days of manual windows, manual steering, no A/C and no stereo for my "daily driver".

I am getting there, as for the spolied thing I went from a 68 mustang with power nothing, no ac no options no ANYTIHNG to make the thing comfortable to a fully loaded 95 mustang gt, like 18 way adjustable leather seats... the 68 seats goes forward.... and backwards sometimes... I think I could drive my 68 for a bit but it would become boring after awhile, no radio, and those manual windows, no interior and carpet and such. It will eventually get back in there.

I don't mind manual roll up windows, or non power steering. I don't know about only having a AM radio tho.

I think Drag200stangs Mustang would be fun to drive on the street but, running only high octane fuel, would get costly and there isn't a drag strip or air port everywhere you might want to go.

Back