Things I've learned doing this engine build

fast64ranchero

hope this help others out, and might make you laugh,
1, no matter what you do and how much research you do someone will always tell you to do it different, :x
2, this motor was expensive and I did it to be different the pistons rings and pins cost more then most peoples rebuilds do :cry: .
3, main studs from a 240-300 six work great for Main and HEAD studs on our little motors :LOL:
4, don't ever mill the intake off a log head it's way to much work! and you can buy Mike's new alum head for about the same money I have in my head :(
5, not having an aftermarket timing chain kit for the 250 is a pain when trying to degree in the cam, I ended up using a stock crank gear, a later 73-78 retarded cam gear to get my cam to 4 degress advanced :unsure:: how does that work??? should have been 8 degress retarded right? it also took 7 weeks to get the early gear that I ended up not using :unsure:
6, when installing the head on the block keep fingers out of the way, cause 80lbs feels like alot more when it's sitting on your finger and the blood and guts are coming out of the end of your finger IT HURTS,
7, after installing you cam and lifters and head, but prior to installing push rods and rockers, never turn you motor upside down!!! your lifters will fall out and you'll have to pull the head off to get them back in place :oops:
8, everthing has to be ordered, stock or aftermarket, nothing is in stock anywhere :(
that's it for now, you all have a great Christmas, and when Mike get the Terra rockers in this thing might run :!:

fast64ranchero":2a3mo5vx said:
6, when installing the head on the block keep fingers out of the way, cause 80lbs feels like alot more when it's sitting on your finger and the blood and guts are coming out of the end of your finger IT HURTS,

Heh, I used a little cherry picker with some cut-down head bolts as guides. Wimp, or genius? You decide.

fast64ranchero":17fj6t36 said:
7, after installing you cam and lifters and head, but prior to installing push rods and rockers, never turn you motor upside down!!! your lifters will fall out and you'll have to pull the head off to get them back in place :oops:

been there done that not alot of fun. thought maybe I could pull the pan off to get at them....nope.

Back