Internet DIY "Big" HP Turbo Kit

drag-200stang

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2021
Just received my ACME Brand DIY turbo kit...

The guy said it was easy to put together with full instructions.

What gives??? There's a note with the beer saying "good luck - call friends".

Img_0977.jpg

After I drank the first 3 beers, I found a note saying go to hardware, pick up plastic sink drain pipe, cut plastic pipe until you get the collector you want. Replicate in stainless.

Img_0997.jpg

Img_0991.jpg

1.5" .065 wall 304L stainless tubing with 1/2" 304 stainless flange

This is getting fun. I can't wait to drink the 2nd row.

Actually pre-fabbing in plastic is a very good idea. It's ever so much cheaper to throw away your mistakes than if you make them in stainless.

.065 wall is a tad on the thin side though

Ha, thats one hell of a collector.

.065 isn't so bad, its reasonably thick enough to weld... but doing all those seam welds is going to have some pucker factor involved.

Most headers for N/A applications are in the .065-.075 thickness range and they aren't carrying the weight or dynamic loads of a turbo.

Mustang Boy,
Actually, the instructions found were bad advice. It said use flexible vacuum hose to plan out primary pipes. They don't stay where you bend them and the wife did notice :devilish: the 16" shorter reach.
Img_1044.jpg

What I'm going to use to plan out primary pipes is sink 1 1/4" "S" trap drains. The curves are 3" radius just like my stainless.

I welded each row of 3 together first then welded the two together by welding outside and inside. I pressure tested the collector. None of the welds leak.

I decided to go with slip fit joints at the collector making the fabricating and maintenance of each primary pipe separately and hopefully providing flexibility to prevent cracking due to stainless high expansion rate.

I still have to weld in a waste gate once I determine the best spot.

Thanks all for the positive comments.

I saw you bump this thread and got excited...I cant wait to see you get back on it and see where it goes!!!

Matt

Back