intercooled, non turbo

A

Anonymous

would this help or serve any purpose? anything you can do to the carb with intercooler you cant without? or will it get more air in since its cold?

i know it sounds stupid, but i have an intercooler from a turbo'd thunderchicken and i wanna hook it up. surely it will do SOMETHING. i mean...its already here. not like im gonna go BUY one.

lol

Nope! Won't do a thing unless you put it in ice water while you're going down the road.

In fact it would probably hurt performance due to the restriction thru the IC.

Will

I dont know for sure im just thinking but, i think it wouldnt do much if anything. An intercooler can only cool down to what the ambiant temperature is at max so it would just be the same to put a cold air intake on. Thats just my thinking though, lets see what the real experts have to say on this :D

EDIT - i guess i wasnt quick enough to respond lol

oh.

you have a point. now if you had the intercooler directly behind the condensor for your AC unit, i bet it would cool a little bit, while AC was running of course.

heh, i told you it was a dumb question. haha

but i do like the ice idea. instead of an ice box like many cars use for racing, you build a sheetmetal (or plastic is better) box around the condensor AND the intercooler (mines small) and fill with water. once your AC runs a while, theoretically the water would get really cold, cooling the intercooler ALOT.
Thats probably a stupid idea but idk. I'm in one of those insomniac moods and keep thinking up stuff. bla

you can also dump ice in it too.

lol but it would stay cool longer I imagine. then run the car without AC on (since it pulls hp)

cruising run the AC since its hot here. race, turn it off, its already cooled.

hehe

8)

If your not going to turbo it I would think you would get better results with a fuel cooler can or a water injection/methanol system with refrigerated liquid.

Also your gonna have fun pulling air through a intercooler and not being pushed through under pressure.

Whereas a intercooler can decrease heat generated by the turbo compressing air I would think you would loose horsepower due to the restrictive airflow through the intercooler.

The A/C condenser gets HOT when the A/C is on,so I doubt it will cool your intercooler very much...... ;)

Terry

You would have to move intercooler to a place where a fan can blow air across the evaporator and then the intercooler. Very impractical.

IIRC people have tried this before with varying degrees of success. I think most said the performance gain was not near what they hoped and was a time consuming pain in the butt to do.

You'd be better off ducting cold air from the front grill directly to the carb, often called a ram air. I forget who on the board has a how-to page with good pics. One thing to keep in mind is how to prevent rain water from getting in though.

Also remember that the AC evaporator is made cold by taking HP from your engine.

If you put a fan across it to transfer heat out of the incoming air charge, you would end up just running the AC harder and nixing any gains you might have gotten.

Remember, that in engineering as much as life you can't get anything for nothing and every bit of energy you use or get rid of has to come from somewhere.

In your car, it all comes from the gasoline.

69Falcon":2gp2sr38 said:
You'd be better off ducting cold air from the front grill directly to the carb, often called a ram air. I forget who on the board has a how-to page with good pics. One thing to keep in mind is how to prevent rain water from getting in though.

Matt (66sprint6) has a couple pics on his cardomain page I think that link should work (think thats the link at leasT), click on his performance tab and theres pics.

its not really a how to but from what I remember someone used gutter pieces for the front of the car and the ducting was off a ranger. anyone have the link to the better how to page?

lol yeah. i meant the evaporator. and i'm guessing THAT is inside the car...

crap.

lol never mind. :p

Like said before, you can use water injection alone and get some more "bump" out of you engine. The heat vaporization from the water to cool the intake charge and it also acts like a steam cleaner to keep engine internals clean.
There is a thread here about 3 or 4 years ago and they were talking water injection on a NA motor.

I was looking for the thread, but could not find it. I believe Lazy JW was the one telling us about that he used to run water injection on his NA motor (I think it was him, been too many beers ago)

Kirk

Before pod filters, before turbonators, before polarisers, there were foxtails, whip aerials, fluffy dice and ram air intakes.

You want it COLD!! Forget the ice, and the AC units you ned you a tank of CO2. Spray it just like it good and hard tha iar going thought it will get cold.

One word of caution, Don't let ANY CO2 get in the air going in the engine.
It tends to hurt performance(It put the fire out in the engine)

20070515-003451.jpg

VTEC!!!

80broncoman":37afaszt said:
You want it COLD!! Forget the ice, and the AC units you ned you a tank of CO2. Spray it just like it good and hard tha iar going thought it will get cold.

One word of caution, Don't let ANY CO2 get in the air going in the engine.
It tends to hurt performance(It put the fire out in the engine)

You need some NAWSSS!

Seriously, though, look up the Ntercooler.

Back