Turbo motor almost complete

fast64ranchero

well it's been a while but here are some pictures (If I can remember how to post pics.) for you new people on the forum, this motor has 4.125 offset ground stroker crank, Manley rods, CP pistons, custom ground Clay Smith solid lifter cams, and lots of head work:

Nice neat job there.

Can I make a suggestion........ install a double skinned heat shield between the exhaust and intake runners. Youre going to get about 800- 900 °C exhaust gas trying to radiate.

XPC66 I plan on getting the intake/exh. coated with a thermo coating, and also insulating between the two. I started this project before the new alum. head from Mike, so I might upgrade to his new head, if the motor runs hard I'm thinking of removing my SBF and placing it in the engine bay of my 64 here's a pic..
Picsin06139.jpg

I think it would look nice in there,
hailey07012.jpg

fast64ranchero":bx3f6v31 said:
if the motor runs hard I'm thinking of removing my SBF and placing it in the engine bay of my 64 here's a pic..

Oh don't worry....it'll run hard! Better just start the engine swap now!

Also just a note we learned running the sideways carb. Use circle track floats that have the bevel toward the rear of the car. This will keep the float from shutting off the fuel supply under HARD acceleration!

Looks good! Keep us posted!

Will

Well I built the intake and exhaust to fit into my beater 78 Fairmont, so the motor won't fit in the Ranchero till I either make a new intake/exh. or upgrade to Mikes new alum head, any of you folks out there have a intake for Mikes head? (and want to part with it) if I could find one that would be great, Oh by the way it's 269 Cu. inches.... Walt

any OZ-250 intake will bolt up to Mikes Aluminum head and he is also coming out with intakes when he starts selling the heads

Mustang Boy":36ktlysv said:
any OZ-250 intake will bolt up to Mikes Aluminum head and he is also coming out with intakes when he starts selling the heads

Any Oz intake will bolt up BUT it requires some grinding and fitting to get the ports to match up properly due to the Aluminum heads raised intake port height.

Anlushac11":14hf4uwo said:
Any Oz intake will bolt up BUT it requires some grinding and fitting to get the ports to match up properly due to the Aluminum heads raised intake port height.

Not entirely true. Yes #3 & #4 intake ports are off a little (moved in toward each other) to clear the head bolt/stud holes. But it has nothing to do with raised ports. #1, 2, 5, & 6 line up pretty good!
The ports are raised slightly but not very much. The intake mounting bolt holes moved up with the ports so most everything lines up with an off the shelf Oz 250-2v intake.
Later,
Will

Now that I think about it....
The Oz intake that we're using (borrowing!) had already been port matched to a "cleaned up" Oz 250-2v head.
So I can't 100% confirm that the ports of a totally stock Oz intake will line up perfectly on the ClassicInlines alum. head. The bolt holes will for sure.
There are a few others that are using unmolested intakes with Mike's head and they all seem to work pretty good!

Also Fast64Rancharo.

Are you sure that your intake/exhaust won't fit into your '64? I know for a fact that your turbo will be VERY close to the shock tower but it might just fit.
But your intake portion doesn't look any larger than a normal Oz intake.
Later,
Will

Ask Billr57 how his fits up. His intake (the one I swapped with Stubby) was unmolested except for a stud that took the thread when it was wound out. :x

I have no problem port matching an intake, but if I can't find one, then I'll have to wait for Mikes intake,,, Does 10's I haven't measured but I'm thinking the intake I made is just to wide, If I remember right it's 9 1/4 from head flang to the outer part of the carb flang, which will just fit in a fox Body car, but I'll do some looking and figuring with a tape in hand, I could always shift the motor over a little, then I still would have to deal with the exhaust side, I think I'll just wait for Mikes head.....

Back