Boosted to pieces...

lightnin-boy

My car started mssing and smoking excessively from the valve cover breather, I think I found out why... This is my #6 piston. Ouch.

sept11003.jpg

sept11004.jpg

sept11005.jpg

Was that a regular cast unit? A set of hypereutectics ought be OK. Kind of disappointing to see it happen, though - hope you had the hammer well down and a decent grin when it did let go!

Did it junk the cylinder or can you install a new ring & piston set and be on your way?

Later,

Doug

Yes,

I was not being nice when this happened. I didn't notice it at the time, it was a start it up the next day thing and wonder why the car is spewing blow-by everywhere. The good news is there is no damage to the bore, lucky and thankful I am for that. Where would I find a set of hypereutectic pistons without requiring major machine work?

Kirk

lightnin-boy":34nb5qvs said:
Yes,

I was not being nice when this happened. I didn't notice it at the time, it was a start it up the next day thing and wonder why the car is spewing blow-by everywhere. The good news is there is no damage to the bore, lucky and thankful I am for that. Where would I find a set of hypereutectic pistons without requiring major machine work?

Kirk

I dont know anyone who makes hypereuectics for a 200 inline 6. Either forged from Mike or another stock set....

Ebay pops up old forged pistons to quite often

At least it didnt destroy the engine totally!

Later,

Doug

Yeah,

Luckily rings stayed in place and are still intact. Had one broke I'm sure I'd have a new anchor for my swim raft at the cottage.... Well maybe not that bad, but it would be getting bored. The cross-hatch is still visible on the cylinder walls so it isn't too badly worn.

On the upside, the turbo sure makes the car fun to drive, too much fun.

Kirk

Hypereutectic pistons aren't much insurance for a turbo engine IMHO. They're hard, but also quite brittle. One good spell of detonation can easily shatter your ring lands, and possible catostrophic damage to your valve train. I've seen it done.... Money could have been better spent on a set of forged slugs than rebuilding a motor again. Just a thought.

Hypers are factory on many turbo cars, but this is dealing with an engine that was never meant for a turbocharger. There ok for N/A street motors, but in cases like custom turbo's and NOS, the tops can split right off them, I'v seen the aftermath. a Cast pistion will hold better under preassure than a hyper, but even better than a cast, is Forged. it probably wasn't just the turbo that caused faliure, but possibly a mix of high rpm, and the turbo. possibly even a small crack never noticed b4 ( defective pistion ) when it was built.

Back