EFI Info

A

Anonymous

I am thinking about doing an efi conversion, does anyone know of a link or a post that explains most of the basics, or know a site for conversions for our cars?

You're in relatively uncharted waters. Have you read posts by Moe$ and fordconvert on their adventures?

The overall controllability of EFI is a tempting idea!

Here is Moe$ thread about his project.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38349

I have the parts to do the same thing on mine but with the threat of getting removed the carb seems to have started to behave so its down on the to do list. I ended up putting a Megasquirt system with a TBI on one of my Cadillacs. There is one heck of a learning curve on these systems and some things you have to design and make yourself. Read the tempo thread, and do a search for Megasquirt or MS here (and on any other fourms you read) and read everything you can find before you buy anything. There are tons of info in the Megasquirt stuff including user fourms.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

I have about 5 full days (spread out over 2-3 weeks) into the final install, debugging, and rough tuning into my caddy at this point and it is almost drivable now. I already had a good running engine and ignition system. I also had the hardware section installed and working with the old Holley analog ECU so that those 5 days were just for Megasquirt things. The closest thing to a 'bolt on' system for our motors WAS a Holley Projection 1bbl system that is no longer in production. The analog holleys have a box that has 5 dials on it for tuning so it doesnt need a laptop. There is Choke, Accel, Idle, Mid, & Power. They do turn up on ebay from time to time and you can still get some of the parts for them. I guess you can special order it as part of the Commander 950 system but I seem to recall the price was over 1,000 and the commander system is a digital system that requires a fair amount of tweaking with a laptop just like the megasquirt. I went with the MS because of the open source nature of things. There is so much info out there on the system even if the main people go out of business there will still be support. Not that Holley is likely to disappear but after a few years they tend to not like to talk about or support their older stuff. Just to get an idea about some of the basics of installing an EFI on an older car download and read one of the install manuals for the Holley Projection systems. They are not as detailed as the MS stuff but get you an idea of some of the details you need to be thinking about.

were any of the Australian or Argentinian 200's built with EFI?

I've done a ton of research involving this subject, only it was for an AMC/Jeep 258. You might try using your favorite search engine to find info on fuel injected Chevy 250s, Dodge 225s, Jeep 258s and 4.0s. I know there has been extensive modification done on many 258 and 4.0s being they've been in production only until recently. Mopar also makes a kit for their sixes. I wouldn't imagine there to be too many guys building fuel injection kits on their old Falcons. Just a thought...

I was interested in Affordable a year or so ago but they never returned any of my emails or phone calls. Dont know if that has changed since then but I lost faith in their product if they couldnt answer their email or phone calls. There are also a few other 'one man show fly by night' efi people on the web so google them and read everything you can find before you send any money, spend the time and read every form or post that comes up to make sure you know what you are getting into.

8) another route you can go to adapt efi to your six, is to find a complete unit from a car with a similar displacement, and grab everything from the donor car, and swap everything over. for example you can use the efi system from a 3.0 ford taurus on your 200, or a 4.0 explorer system on an old 250.

fordconvert":3axl2ug6 said:
I was interested in Affordable a year or so ago but they never returned any of my emails or phone calls. Dont know if that has changed since then but I lost faith in their product if they couldnt answer their email or phone calls. There are also a few other 'one man show fly by night' efi people on the web so google them and read everything you can find before you send any money, spend the time and read every form or post that comes up to make sure you know what you are getting into.

when I emailed them about there product, they emailed me back within a few days.

Back