Want to run this setup by you

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
I have been piecing together parts for a mild turbo build and want to run the setup past the experts here.

Stock 1981 3.3L shortblock, cast dished pistons, roller timing chain and a as yet undetermined turbo profile cam

The Corteco .053"crush height head gasket

Mustang Geezers old 1966 log head that was ported and polished. Otherwise stock. Log milled for direct mount adapter plate, top off log opened up to match.

Holley 350cfm 2bbl modified for blow through operation (Still need to figure out boost referenced fuel pressure regulator).

Air will be pulled in through K&N air filter in inner fender.

255lph Walbro electric fuel pump in tank

1970-ish cast iron exhaust manifold with 2" opening, adapter from 2" to T3 flange, Cast iron T3 to T3 adapter with mounting for 38mm wastegate

38mm wastegate with spring for 8lbs boost.

T3 turbo with .50 compressor and .63 turbine.

Volvo front mounted intercooler, 2.5" intercooler piping.

3 inch down pipe to 3 inch exhaust.

Do I still need a blow off valve on the intake side?

With the stock cast pistons and .57cc chamber heads and .052" gasket I estimate CR at 7.7:1. With boost limited to 8lbs I dont think this will be a problem, may have to run premium gas though.

This is what I used to select turbo
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/A ... sormap.jpg

And this is the compressor map for the T04e
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/A ... ith33L.jpg

Suggestions welcome and thanks for any info.

It looks like a good plan to me. I'd go with a BOV to prevent possible turbo damage. It's not as critical with an automatic transmission (the throttle plates don't generally close as fast) but still a good idea. It'll also help prevent boost spikes when the wastegate can't open fast enough.

All in all, sounds like a good setup. I would recommend a BOV. I would also recommend using a high quality AFPR like the aeromotive.

Found a BOV setup on Ebay that goes inline in the intake tract.

I know I need a AFPR but wasnt sure what to buy. Will look at Aeromotives stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anlushac11":sldef19f said:
Found a BOV setup on Ebay that goes inline in the intake tract.

I know I need a AFPR but wasnt sure what to buy. Will look at Aeromotives stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.

What brand? I ran a cheapo on my first setup, and it worked great for me and the person who bought it from me as well as far as I know. However the one I purhased for my second setup didnt always work.... lol I plan on buying some better equipment this time around.

8)

Not sure, just looking at the moment.

Trying to stay with something billet and not looks like billet but is cheap cast potmetal with a shiny coating.

Saw one that was listed as "composite material" but sure looked like plastic to me.

I am having a problem finding a AFPR that is boost referenced.

Saw a Volvo one but it was used. Not sure I would trust a used one that doesnt say how many miles on it.

Summitracing.com

Search for Aeromotive, I forget the part #. We are all using the same one essentially...

Bort62":16y81q9m said:
Summitracing.com

Search for Aeromotive, I forget the part #. We are all using the same one essentially...

I havent been on here for awhile but I know some of us are/were running the mallory 4309's as well, but by the way Bort makes it sound I might be the only one :unsure:

There are plenty of good boost referenced fuel pressure regulators out there, im using a Mallory 4309 reg and love it. Check out turboforums sometime, tons of well tested fuel systems. The walbro will work nicely! Best of luck with your setup
Matt

Back