Any personal experiences with nitrous?

MX500

I'm thinking about adding a ~50 shot of nitrous to my 1992 F-150 with the 300. I have ~135,000 miles on the engine but it runs great.

I plan on doing some minor drag racing and maybe a few trips to the dunes and some high speed off-roading, I'd like the extra power but I could also live without it. Has anyone added nitrous (a wet kit preferably) to their Big Six?

The weak spot on your stock motor is piston skirts. It'll run fine enough with them busted off and laying in the oil pan, but it's less than ideal.

It's worth the outlay for hypers, before any nitrous is applied.

Set up w/ master arming switch on dash for safety and with micro switch at carb to come on at WOT. The miroswitch would also operate the ignition retard, box.

With out the ignition retard, the timing advance and the very fast burn rate of the nitrous will try to reverse the engine rotation. Just like trying to start an engine having too much timing advance causes the engine to kick back. Only worse because the engine is running at max and the power of the nitrous, bending/ braking rods.

I've run nitrous on a small block chevy. (Well, a friends car, but I was pretty heavily involved)

It's simple, cheap, and effective. We dropped the car from 12.3 to 11.1 with a 250 shot. The nitrous was an afterthought on the motor, no special prep was done. It now has dozens of passes on it and, more important, hours and hours on the dunes in a K5 blazer. Many many bottles of nitrous have been squirted through that motor with no ill effects.

A 50hp shot is so minimal that I wouldn't sweat it at all.

The problem with nitrous is that as soon as you get the 50 shot up and working, you are going to want a 75 shot, then a 100 shot, etc.

It is so easy to add more power that it can be really hard to know when to say when, so to speak.

I don't have a carb. My engine is EFI, andf the spark should be computer controlled IIRC. I know to retard the timing, that'll be the first thing I do (or forget and end up killing my engine).

I'm just waiting to see what size shots of nitrous people have used with a similar engine without catastrophic failure.

I used to get it in balloons at dead shows. It was good for a few laughs, but I'm older and wiser now and only use it in cars or at the dentist.

Back