Forged Question

q_nuts

Hello everyone. I have been searching the net for providers of forged internals for the 300 six for turbo reasons, and cant seem to find any. Is there anyone out there who knows where a guy can get a set of forged rods and pistons for the big six? Dont want to spend custom one off prices. Just wondering if there is a company that carries them already.

Thanks

Q

if you look around here you should be able to find rods that people are using for a buildup, not 300 rods, but some other engine that they've found to work
i honestly cannot remember what kind though

I did not. From what I have been reading, the rods are the weak point on these motors when you push them. I am also talking about the a mid 90's motor with the aluminum head. I owned an F150 that had this motor, and the torque it put out was superior to the one I had with a 302. I could only imagine how much torque it would put out with some light boost.

Q

I wouldn't consider the rods a weak link. The pistons yes, rods no. Get some ARP rod bolts and you should be good to go with the rods. If you are still worried have them polished and shot peened.

And no 300 came with an aluminum head. The 87-96 had EFI with an aluminum intake but all 300's had the cast iron head.

That might be what I am remembering, this was back in 99 when I had it. I might be the aluminum intake plenum stuck in my head. Regardless, it towed like a SOB, and I think would make a cool motor under boost. I do definitely want it to be reliable though, so forged pistons would be a must.

Q

As long as you don't plan this to be an all out race engine The stock cast crank, and stock rods should do fine. I would definately upgrade the pistons and go with the ARP main studs and head studs and ARP rod bolts. And a good quality head gasket would be a must!

If you are keeping the EFI you'll also need some kind of modified efi system or a stand alone system.

But it's all doable and would make for a great set up.

Depending on how much boost you're planning to run (and you can't run much with a conventional head gasket) you may not want forged pistons. a good set of hypereutectics and properly prepped stock rods with ARPs ought to be just fine for 6 PSI or thereabouts. Beyond that you're into a whole different level of pain

The best 300 rods to use are the ones that do not have the "spit" holes in them. I have used many of them to build budget "long rod" 351W's for circle track engines, and also several 400 cube stroker 351's. They have performed well for these engines in the 500HP range with modest RPM(6-6500). I think most any application for the inlines would be more than adequate to have good reliability and longevity....As has already been mentioned, install ARP bolts and resize the big ends, polishing the beams can't hurt either.

Thanks for the info guys. I have quite a bit of 4cyl turbo experience, but have been wanting to do a ford six for a long time. I would run the ford EDIS 6 with megasquirt to achieve my goal, and would like to squeeze it into a fox body. I have no idea if it will fit, its a pretty long motor, but it would definitely be a frame twisting motor.

Nope the 300 isn't a lot longer or taller then a 460.

I've seen more then one Fairmont with a 300 and a stock hood. And no firewall mods either.

It takes custom motor mounts and a modified oil pan.

It seems like everyone thinks there will be clearance issues with the valvecover. That's not the case. The clearance issue is with the aircleaner. But there are ways to get around that.

Back