turbocharger to supercharger?

Falcon Ranch

I have a dumb question to ask but just wanted to ask for anyone else thinking of the same thing and hope those professionals will be able to put a answer to this one...just another subject for those inquiring minds.

I have been thinking for some time if it could be possible to remove the exhaust side of the turbo, housing and turbine wheel...install a small timing gear style pulley,(the one with notches) say 1.5-2 inch in diameter, and another one on the crank with an adapter, say around 6-7" in diameter and convert the turbo into a supercharger, the bolts that held the exhaust housing could be used for the mounting points...the ideal is to get in the 30-40:1 ratio so the turbo will make some usable power...the reason behind this is that those newer diesel turbo's have some good size housings and wheels.

This ideal is not to make serious big HP but just enough to wake up the engine and give it some much needed umph!...I will say like 3-5psi would be safe...I have been thinking at one time to do this on a VW I had...I think that this could be a easy way to increase power with only a few bucks and a junkyard turbo...the only mods would be the mounting supports and the machine work to adapt the gear to the turbo shaft...this could also be done on weekends and after work and not have your car on any down time...it could be installed a little at a time and when finished, adjust the carb and fuel pump and hook up the belt.

So what do you guys think?

You're talking about a centrifugal blower. That's what they are. Probably not worth it. Look up Paxton or Vortech superchargers.

I think they are a sorry match for our engines, or most any in general. The characteristics mean they don't make any boost until high RPMs, whereas turbos can make plenty of boost down low and be wastegated so they aren't oversped. Centrifugal superchargers can't be geared to make boost down low or they will turn too fast up high. They are the opposite of Roots blowers in power delivery, the dyno curves look like an exponential chart instead of the flat torque curve you want.

Mustangaroo has a Paxton on his with a 250-2V head, and it works well enough. It is huge compared to a turbo, though. I think that a normal-sized compressor housing would not be efficient enough if belt-driven.

I don't know about the load rating of the bearings in the turbo housing. It takes a lot of pressure to keep the belts in tension on those things, might be too much for the bearings.

Overall, I'd just use the turbo as intended. It could possibly be converted, but I don't think I would try. A HX35/HY35 from a Dodge Cummins truck would be about perfect for a 200 just like it is.

I agree, Not sure what you'd stand to gain. What you described is a centrifugal supercharger.

I'm not a huge fan of centrifugal S/Cs since they do require the engine to be rev'd to get to the power. It's why I like turbos since they can make max boost at just about any RPM and the wastegate keeps it under control. Plus the turbo doesn't add a parasitic load on the engine or side load bearings.

Back