Home made forced induction..Any out there???

'68falconohio

Okay, I'm not trying to see if anyone's driving around with a hair dryer hooked up to the intake or a squirrel-cage blower for that fact. Has anyone built a legitimate, working, forced induction(turbocharger, supercharger) themselves? I realize that the M90's are on ebay for relatively cheap and there are boat loads of turbos floating around. I also know that there's no way that it's going to be cost effective to build my own turbo/blower when there's so many out there.

I think a supercharger might be the easier to build than a turbo due to the necessity/cost of matls. that must withstand the working conditions of the turbo. The supercharger won't be easy by any means, but I think it would be easier.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any out there? I may be biting off more than I can chew, but due to my academic advisor not doing her job, I'm going to be taking summer and fall quarter off so I have a lot of time to research and ponder.

Thanks,
Stephen

Every build on this board is homebrew. Just look through the threads and you'll find them. I would help more but the search is still borked.

Search for threads and posts by hasa68mustang, Linc's 200, Bort62, fast64ranchero, drag200stang, Does10s, 66Sprint6. There are others but can't remember the usernames right now.

wallaka":2wz2loe4 said:
Every build on this board is homebrew. Just look through the threads and you'll find them. I would help more but the search is still borked.

Search for threads and posts by hasa68mustang, Linc's 200, Bort62, fast64ranchero, gravelrash, 66Sprint6. There are others but can't remember the usernames right now.

wallaka,
I'm talking about building the supercharger or the turbocharger itself, not the system. The system will be homebrew also, but I want to take it to the next level. Has anyone built the turbo or the supercharger. That's what I'm asking. Is that what you're saying?

Well...kinda...

When I was in school, we made a "blower". It was a home...uh school made gear box, and the compressor side from a holset hx55.

I have no idea how efficient it was or how long it lasted, but the 9.8hp mercury outboard did run pretty good for a little while. :p

Not quite what you were looking for...I guess... :rolflmao:

Ah, then...no. The machine work by itself would make it cost-prohibitive, not to mention the initial engineering work is very critical to performance. The alloys needed for turbo production are extremely expensive and hard to work.

A supercharger would be more likely to do at home, but it's still a lot to build.

Build my own blower or turbo?

No. I do not want to reinvent the wheel. I am perfectly happy buying a used T3 turbo from someone, rebuilding it, and then cobbling together the means to mount it.

On that note there was a thing I saw online a while back where some guys were making "superchargers" by using a crank driven belt to turn a compressor section of a turbo. Not sure how they lubed it.

Anlushac11":13mhdtfh said:
Build my own blower or turbo?

No. I do not want to reinvent the wheel. I am perfectly happy buying a used T3 turbo from someone, rebuilding it, and then cobbling together the means to mount it.

On that note there was a thing I saw online a while back where some guys were making "superchargers" by using a crank driven belt to turn a compressor section of a turbo. Not sure how they lubed it.

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, I just want to build my own rather than buy a used one. 8)
Same thing applies to building a small block six instead of a small block eight. Why? Because I want to know if if I can design and build a forced induction system that works.

With that said, I don't want to 'source' components from another s/c or turbo to build this which really limits my options as far as types/directions I can go. I'm not going to be able to make an impeller for a centrifugal s/c and I'm not going to be able to machine the flukes for a Roots style.

Basically, I'm looking at two options. A Sliding Vane(1930s MG supercharger) or a Scroll Type(1980s VW supercharger) If I think I can do it in the machine shop at work. I'm gonna give this one hell of a try.

Input or Criticism is happily accepted. I may need all the help I can get.

I say go for it!!! I think I was the first one to complete a milled log head in 30 years, If you have access to a mill and lathe have at it.... I think a roots type rotor would be the easiest, I'd find a set of 1 to 1 gears and build off the gears. good luck, and keep us informed, this is the kinda stuff that makes this forum good, lots of one-off stuff here..

well what kinda machines do you have access to? and how much do you know about machining? if you can program a 5 axis CNC you could make a roots blower. even if you cant do that you could use a horizontal mill and a rotating table.

TCIC 300ci superbeast":208iyr0e said:
well what kinda machines do you have access to? and how much do you know about machining? if you can program a 5 axis CNC you could make a roots blower. even if you cant do that you could use a horizontal mill and a rotating table.

Bridgeport vertical milling machine with DROs. Enco gear head lathe with ~36" bed. No CNC machines yet but we're looking at getting a CNC lathe for a project at work. I will probably never feel comfortable calling myself a machinist because it is not my main goal to become a machinist.
I know how to use basic machining tools.
Lathe- boring bars, facing and turning cutters, can chase threads. The components we make at work are generally quite simple.
Vert. Mill- Facing, end mills, reams, etc. Havn't made anything extremely complicated on it either. I'd post a pic of something but I don't think they'd like that at work...

I am proficient in using Inventor(solid modeling) and am very good at visualizing and understanding how things work. After some research over the past week, I'm ready to abandon the idea of a roots blower. I tried to find the companies that are producing the extruded rotors for them with no luck. My best guess is that they are ordered in batches by the main blower manufacturers and the price of designing an extrusion to be made and only wanting 4ft of it would be outrageous.

The lack of horizontal mill and CNC equipment is leading me to go with a design that hasn't been used for 70+ years. I know it hasn't been used because it's not the best design available but my lack of equipment/fundage is requiring me to go back in time a good bit. I think I'm going to continue my research on the sliding vane supercharger and pursue this design. There's a 'sketch' of one on wiki but the design seems flawed to me.(wiki makes me doubt its credibility in the first place) I've a lot more research before I even think of drawing anything up and my design will be directly limited by the equipment I have.

Thanks,
Stephen

iv rebuild air pumps like that at work for a printing shop that we do alot of machining for.... the ones we have done use graphite blades. it would be really easy to make.
the problem i c would be lack of CFM or not building boost. but u never know untill you make it...and if it dont work you wont be out a lot of time and money

id say go for that design first. with what you can run.

thats the type of project i love doing at work....i work at a machine shop as well...im manly a cnc operator but i can run any conventional machine, program cncs and run most CAD/CAM software

I'm involved in turbos, blowers, and superchargers. It's very, very expensive to try and build from scratch...we've tried. Friends in machining worked with engineers but it would cost more than what it would be to buy something to fab yourself. Here is a pic of my last draw thru turbo project, I am about to switch the motor over to the 300 inline from a 460.

Attachments

• toledobugin2.jpg
    toledobugin2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 67
Back