Propane "LPG" 200ci turbocharged I6 buildup help?

pacer

I am considering a Ford 200ci 6 turbocharged with LPG for my Triumph TR7 :eek: . I have read brief articles regarding AK Miller and how he ran propane powered turbo Ford I6 engines. Propane where I live is quite common so availability is not an issue. I found a Ford 300ci 6 1bbl Impco propane setup at the local car yard and thought maybe it would make for a good setup? Is it true that propane carburetors can handle forced induction? If so how much before you need the carburetor needs to be modified? I have been rebuilding/dismantling my TR7 removing alot of useless weight from the car I am hoping to get it around 1900lbs when I am finished. This car will be certainly one of a kind!! And NO I don't want a V6 or V8 in the car!!! :beer:

LPG is great, and the Impco 425 is good for at least 380 RWHP on a good 250. No real mods required.
It's also cold, and is rated at 110, so it's all good. Crow Cams do Turbo/LPG specific grinds, look ate their website and check it out.

pacer":19dbgvs0 said:
And NO I don't want a V6 or V8 in the car!!! :beer:
Then you came to the right place to NOT have that suggested! :beer:

Impco carburetion systems weren't meant to handle a lot of boost. 8 psi is pretty has high as you can go. For a blow-through system, you need to reference the converter to the carburetor's airhorn pressure.

Propane Carburetion

How do you reference the converter? I will only be maybe running a max of 7-10psi on the stock internals.

The converter is referenced by connecting the balance port on converter (under the screen) with the balance port on the mixer (under the airhorn). This allows the converter to sense boost pressure rather than atmospheric pressure. Having a balance port also compensates for dirty air filters and ram air setups on N/A engines. If you check the Hyper-Gas Hemi article, the following photo shows the balance line clearly:

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/stati ... 4_04mg.jpg

Notice also that the Model E converter's top cover appears to be modified because it is now polished and the balance port is in the centre of the cover rather than the side. The carb hat also appears to have a hold-down at its base that is attached to the carburetor base flange. NGVINA's Streamline Model N-H420 Turbo converter (see Streamline catalog, p22) is rated up to 15 psi of boost.

See the following topics for more information:

Back